R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to M-chassisMark
Default Need input on track surface options.

Hi guys, new member here...

My club and I are preparing to build an indoor TC track in a 100x60' space. Its in an old factory, which has a polished concrete floor. We're debating on what the best possible surface would be to run on. Keep in mind, we have limited funding.

I'm looking for any input/suggestions on how to either cover or prep the concrete flooring.

We have talked to a company that grinds concrete for drag strips, but that would cost at least $5,000 (.90c per square foot)... way outside our budget.

I'm guesssing Ozite would cost at least $4,000, so thats out.

Other suggestions are painting the surface with sand-impregnated paint, but the sand will be hard on tires, and eventually wear off. Another potential problem is getting a regular paint to stick. Epoxy paint/garage floor coatings are rather expensive as well.

And, our seemingly most economically viable solution (sugar-water/coke syrup) raises questions about insect problems.

So, is there another cost-effective solution we haven't thought of? Any input is much appreciated.
M-chassisMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'd just go and look at renting an industrial sander. Just to get the gel coat off the floor. Use really hard, and abrasive sanding disks and it should come off in a day

I did that to a part of my friends garage as the gel has some imperfections and we had to re-do it.

hard work but the surface was not totally smooth as the swirl marks made it slightly rougher than when it was just new concrete
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-chassisMark View Post

And, our seemingly most economically viable solution (sugar-water/coke syrup) raises questions about insect problems.
How about adding chemicals to that mix? bugs dont like anti freeze for example as far as i know. just try some different mixes.
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Arrow

I saw a similar machine to these on a job..

http://www.niagaramachine.com/HTML/blastproSHOT.html

It was electric powered and a walk behind. Used steel bb's and had a magnet & vacuum system that cleaned everything up... did about a 16" path... and looked like a decent surface.

Might be able to see a demo of one, or even rent one.
Ed Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

What kind of budget are you looking at? I assume you own the property... $4,000 is out of your price range? If that's out of your price range it seems unlikely that your planning on having a full facility with lighting, tables, electrical, chairs, fans, a nice drivers stand, etc.

Can you elaborate on your situation/plans?
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can get muriatic acid from about any hardware store and etch the concrete to get the surface layer off. Follow all the applicable cautions. That's how concrete walks and driveways and garage floors are cleaned and preped for surface treatment.

Careful how much material you remove, however you do it. If the concrete has any aggregate below the surface, you'll end up with something worse than what you started with.

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

This is a big hold up on our indoor track
corr915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 AM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If the floor is smooth then your ready for CRC carpet. If it isn't smooth then u have a lot if work to do. If you don't have the $$, pass the collection pot around with local racers in your area.

Lile it or not, unless you're going to lay asphalt, your "expected" option for an indoor onroad track is CRC carpet.
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-chassisMark View Post
Hi guys, new member here...
which has a polished concrete floor.
Polished concrete will be clean and flat I guess. So perfect to race on as is.

However I am guessing the issue is grip. Correct?

Have you run any cars around? I am guessing you will need a very soft silicon rich tire to get traction on the surface as it.

The sanding idea would be worth a go. Seems a shame to do too much as the surface sounds good as is.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Also like we did check with any local carpet retailers for outdoor carpet. We found stuff that looks and feels like ozite at a fraction the cost. No where near the traction but it's good enough for us. We just run softer tires and setups.

we paid something like $2 a square meter
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
If the floor is smooth then your ready for CRC carpet. If it isn't smooth then u have a lot if work to do. If you don't have the $$, pass the collection pot around with local racers in your area.

Lile it or not, unless you're going to lay asphalt, your "expected" option for an indoor onroad track is CRC carpet.
Its attitudes and expectations such as these that kill decent club tracks. If a pro guy never sets foot in the door because we don't have CRC carpet, then we probably didn't need his attitude to begin with. Another group tried exactly what we are doing now, last year, and ultimately failed because they tried too hard to please the pros and make it "like snowbirds", etc.. They just couldn't afford it, and neither can we. The problem with carpet is we can't just lay it on the concrete and be done with it. The carpet itself is the majority of the cost, but not all of it. Oh, and just for giggles, I priced it out: north of $5,000 with shipping on five rolls of CRC.

In our area, offroad is king, and we're tryring to have the first decent onroad facility in as long as I can remember. Onroad guys have had nowhere to race for a long time. If we can find some grip on another surface, it should suit our needs just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler205 View Post
Polished concrete will be clean and flat I guess. So perfect to race on as is.

However I am guessing the issue is grip. Correct?

Have you run any cars around? I am guessing you will need a very soft silicon rich tire to get traction on the surface as it.

The sanding idea would be worth a go. Seems a shame to do too much as the surface sounds good as is.
We have run cars on the surface and its slick as a butt. We're running in the same building as an indoor kart track. They bead blasted their racing surface, and even with a year or more of running karts on the surface, and all the rubber thats on it, it still doesn't have enough grip for a touring car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeadman View Post
Also like we did check with any local carpet retailers for outdoor carpet. We found stuff that looks and feels like ozite at a fraction the cost. No where near the traction but it's good enough for us. We just run softer tires and setups.

we paid something like $2 a square meter
That sounds promising. I'll call around and see whats out there locally.

EDIT: I made two posts yesterday, and they are not showing up. I'll answer earlier questions in a bit.

Last edited by M-chassisMark; 10-29-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerjetta29 View Post
What kind of budget are you looking at? I assume you own the property... $4,000 is out of your price range? If that's out of your price range it seems unlikely that your planning on having a full facility with lighting, tables, electrical, chairs, fans, a nice drivers stand, etc.

Can you elaborate on your situation/plans?
We're borrowing the space free of charge, from a local indoor karting facility. They have a spare room that is going unused, and have offered us the space for a track if they can also use it for birthday parties and corporate events.

We basically have until Nov. 15th to gather supplies and start building. To get the backing of our local hobby store (my employer) we need to be operational before christmas... to take advantage of the holiday season, as well as the cold weather (when people can't race outdoors, and indoor track attendance is best). With our time constraints, we don't have time to collect additional funds, and the hobby store is willing to invest only so much. Dropping $4k just on carpet, before drivers stand, pit tables, etc etc is definitely out of the question. We need to have a suitable track for maybe half of that.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
You can get muriatic acid from about any hardware store and etch the concrete to get the surface layer off. Follow all the applicable cautions. That's how concrete walks and driveways and garage floors are cleaned and preped for surface treatment.

Careful how much material you remove, however you do it. If the concrete has any aggregate below the surface, you'll end up with something worse than what you started with.
I've been advised by several people that acid etching is not the way to go. Supposedly, the finish will be less than desirable, and longevity is a concern as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
How about adding chemicals to that mix? bugs dont like anti freeze for example as far as i know. just try some different mixes.
That is interesting, we'll play around with this idea.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

If you have the budget I would pour asphalt. Doesn't have to be tennis court smooth, but pretty smooth if you can. If you do go asphalt, do it right the first time so you won't have to fix any bumpy parts later on. Also, I would not make it high traction, but just normal traction like a newly paved asphalt parking lot. You will have an initial cost, but hardly any maintenance for the asphalt. If you go carpet, you'll have to replace it eventually ~3 to 5 years.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Is there a reason why you can't use something like this?

http://www.dewittproducts.com/catalo...showprevnext=1

Its rubberized, some sand mix and it even says traction plus on the bucket

I sometimes wonder what makes asphalt great for racing. Is it the coating? or something else?
zake540 is offline   Reply With Quote