R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Club Transponders - Ideas and suggestions?

Club Transponders - Ideas and suggestions

I am reliably informed that the Electric On-Road forum is the best place to get feedback from racers on good or bad ideas and about things that effect racing.

So what's the deal with house (handout) transponders..

Unwanted, everyone has/wants personal transponders, or useful to have at clubs?

Any replies will be very much appreciated, thanks!
Terry_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Useful to have for the new guys.

Serious racers just use personals, makes life much easier.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Andy, that's what I would say. But what if there were no house/handout transponders available in future, what would be a good alternative to rechargeable transponders, clip in loaner personals?
Old 10-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S View Post
What if there were no house/handout transponders available in future, what would be a good alternative to rechargeable transponders, clip in loaner personals?
Absolutely. AMB was raping tracks to get the failed batteries replaced. What would also be useful would be an inexpensive Y adapter or Rx servo connector that could be easily removed after each heat. You know newbies would be pulling on the wires to remove it from their receiver, causing the wires to die prematurely. The simple quick release mount like the MyLaps transponder mount would be ideal as well instead of using a body clip to attach it to the body.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default ccrcr.net

hey our track that I started this year, we use personals as loaners we have 8 right now and we also sell personals to or racers mylaps is no longer making rechargable transponders, guess thats part of the business they want out of ??we do however have the occasion someone draggin one of my pts down the track we just kindly remind them that that transponders is eightey dollars and have a club member help them secure the transponder in their car. we have ben using the same 8 pts since june with no problems (2 races a week)I think mylaps is still doing a promotion on the new pts buy 20 get one free Matt Hale ccrcr.net
bigdaddyquale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

buy 10 IPT transponders like i do at my track and rent them for $5 a race day. the new guys can still race and yes it's $5 more to get counted but he your getting serious about it most haven't minded. now that the RC4 are cheaper it's nice not having to tell them it's $110 to get a regular AMB transponder. but as a club if you did go the IPT rout you get 10 for like $750 and sell those. or sell them cheaper after renting them for a while. one thing to do is get a phone number on the registration sheet so if they forget you can call them.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

At least one of my local tracks rents PTs for $5 too. I think they require a security deposit, like a drivers license. Phone number is a good idea too.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Our club rents PTs for $5/race as well. We have had a couple go home with guys but so far all have been recovered at the next race or so. We RDs try to remind everyone at the end of the day to return their rentals but we sometimes forget. The club used to ask guys for their car keys as deposit but thats a bit of a hassle.

Take a guess on how many will be rented per race day and maybe get an extra one or two. The one nice thing about PTs is they don't loose 50% of their resale value when you open the package, and most new racers want to buy one after they deal with installing and returning a rental for a couple weeks.
kja812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

At Bedworth we certainly think that some form of handout is essential, both for new racers and those on a budget. It's a shame that AMB are no longer making them; we'll just have to make the existing ones last!

Most racers do now have personals, so it's probably no longer necessary to have 20 handouts and give them out before each race. Probably if we had 10 "loaners" that people were given for the day, that would work (providing we got a deposit so they remember to bring them back!).

Ideally any replacement would look and work like the AMB handouts; very strong, easy to fix to the car and no leads to plug in and get caught in the spur gear.

Loaning out a current format PT wouldn't be ideal; there's no quick way to attach and remove it from the car (I guess velcro could be used), the leads are likely to get damaged (maybe have a plug-in lead so it can be replaced in seconds?), and the cases aren't that strong (I'm sure you can find something better).

Hope that helps... I'm sure there is a market for these!
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just had an idea for this. If you don't want to rent PTs because of potential issues with the wire/installation, maybe you could put a small LiFe receiver pack and a PT together in a tiny box with a small body post attached to allow for mounting like the old handout rechargeable transponders. They would be a bit more work for the race director though because you wouldn't be able to just toss it on a charging rack like the old ones.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

From a hobby shop stand point, renting personals would not be a great idea. At our LHS its already hard enough to get the house transponders back from guys, never mind a nice small personal.

I would say that if our LHS couldnt get house transponders anymore we would design some type of bulky box out of a hacked out radio tray and throw a lipo in it and use that as a house transponder.

I know our LHS owner wouldn't be comfortable renting personals thats for sure.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:34 PM   #12
Super Moderator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Aren't there guys who replace the batteries in the handouts? Seem to remember seeing a thread in the radio & electronics forum. If I could get search to work I'd dig it up.
Dave H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_S View Post
Club Transponders - Ideas and suggestions
So what's the deal with house (handout) transponders..

Unwanted, everyone has/wants personal transponders, or useful to have at clubs?
Good question, here is what is going on here in California. Hemet Competition Raceway has had an average of 90 entries on a Friday night club race for the last 3-4 months, 99% short course trucks. IMO, there are a couple reasons for this. First of all, the new guy can get into SC for less than $300 or so. Even the seasoned racer who has to cut back on other expensive classes, like nitro or on-road, can still get his/her racing fix for a fraction of the price. The second reason to HCR's success is cause they don't require transponders! Yes, they do it the old fashion way, hand counting. Again, it keeps the cost down for the new guys and they can race at a track. The guys who stick around the hobby will eventually get a PT because they want to see there true lap times. If you look at the other near-by tracks around here that require PTs, they are lucky if they get 30 entries on a race day.

With all that said; it would be good to have PT hand-outs, but if you don't mind a little extra work, they are not necessary.

AKA Products, Team Losi, Track Star Racing, Tekno RC, Hitec RCD, LRP, Schelle Racing, Imagine It Graphics, EKD, VP/PowerMaster fuels
stipres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Talking

Post deleted.

Last edited by Terry_S; 10-31-2010 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Smiley face appeared, will repost!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the posts, interesting knowing some of the varying reponses. I think it is as I expected, that no single solution works for everyone in all circumstances, differing requirements and preferences. One change that is apparent, more people have personals these days so clubs don't need a charging rack full of rechargable transponders. As Dale and others mentioned some 'loaners' are still required for new drivers or those without a PT, clubs with handouts use less at meetings and clubs without have their preferred method of choice instead.

The best solution we (MRT) have to offer is our new Club PTX personal transponder, a bright yellow version of our black cased PTX transponders. The Club PTX is only supplied exclusively to clubs (or shops and stores with a supported/linked club). It helps if loaner personals stand out as being club transponders and are easily identified from the normal PT's being used. Having a removable base means broken wires or damaged leads can be replaced quickly and easily, in our view making a more practical solution to the loaner PT problem.

Not forgetting the fact that rechargeable transponders are a robust and proven solution to the loaner transponder problem, given sufficient proof (forum posts/emails/PM's etc) of an on-going demand a new rechargeable transponder could be a possibilty..

Any more ideas and suggestions, comments on the above?