R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2004, 12:55 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default I'm new to electric and i have some questions.

Ok i have been into nitro for over 5 years now but i want to buy a drift car and i have no experience with electric cars.

I was reading on the tower hobbies website that the Yokomo drift kit requires a 550 motor. What does this mean ? Can anyone suggest a good motor that would give me enough torqe and power to get it moving pretty fast. I'm not looking to spend allot on the motor,esc (about $175-200 all together) Can anyone suggest one ?

I've heard allot about brushless motors..... i know they cost more than reg ones but is it worth it ? are they for onroad applications?

I know i want to get into drifting and i know there are other electrics that are great for drifting but i like the yokomo the most but its kinda expensive for just a kit. Would a yokomo drift body fit on a reg touring car ?

Oh and if anyone has a used electric thats good for drifting i may be interestead

Thanks allot for all your help

Mike Rich
HKS Inc
bluelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

I can't tell you what a 550 motor is, which is really hard for me to describe. But I can tell you this; at 150 to 200 dollars, you can buy at least four high quality motors! They really don't cost that much. The expensive ones are the Hand Wound Motors; they run around 99 to 150 dollars, and they produce mad torque, I think. ( I get confused when it comes to high rpms, and high torque) Since I can't describe it to you, I'll show it:

http://www.teamtrinity.com/motors/images/sidebar/D5.jpg

Brushless motors are maintenance-free, and they just came out into the scene not too long ago. Once there was a time these brushless motor, compared with 10 to 20 cells can propell a 1/10 scale car up to nearly 100 mph! (there is a guy, which I'll leave his name out, who said his micro can do well over 70 ) I don't know if you want to put a Brushless system in your drifter, seems like a good idea to try out.

Yes you can put the Yokomo drifting bodies on other cars, but with 200mm cars, the tires will stick out of the side of the bodies
!! So 190mm well be okay. And you can ues other bodies on your drifter too, as long as their 190mm!

These guys here know their stuff so post all your questions here...
I just love to build and race, I try not to get into the techno babble about it.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I'm leaning twords the yokomo drift kit but i'm so afriad that i'm gonna buy it and then not know what to do... Like i have the basics of what i need to build it (tools and whatnot) but i'm a complete noob when it comes to building the car itself. Like putting the motor in . Is it complicated ? does it involve sodering ? Do i have to break in the motor ? or does it just bolt on and its ready to go ? Other than what it says i need i'm shure i'm gonna need other stuff . Like what though ? It just seems to complicated.

Would a rtr TC3 be a good choice ? i could always get a new motor and speed controller . Will it suit me for my drifting needs stock (well other than tires)

My biggest fear is buying it and then not knowing what to do so it just sits in my display cabinet like my other cars.

Thanks for putting up with me I'm trying to learn it just seems complicated.

The reason i'm trying to get into electric is because nitro is just so complicated , stressful . Its fun but with the constant weather changes in ohio its a real pain to have to retune your engine all the time plus i always have bad luck with the starters.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:21 PM   #4
Tech Master

Well, let me try explain this as well, a 550 is little bigger than the normal 540 size motor that practically all 190mm electric touring sedans use. Think of the numbers like a telling the difference between wire gauges but in reverse for motors.

As building the kits, all of them come with allen wrenches, and other basic tools to build it, except for a hobby knife, cyano-acrylate glue, and thread lock. Just follow the intructions that come with maual.

As for RTR's for drifitng, the out-of-the-box equipment works well for drifitng. The main thing to have in drifitng is a motor with a lot of toque. The motors that come with the RTR's usually got that covered.

Oh yeah, for drifting use PVC tires (made out of PVC pipe).
They have a life span that is alot longer than the Yokomo rings.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
Tech Master

The car takes a standard, 540 size motor its does NOT take a 550 sized motor
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Hehe i can make my own tires out of pvc pipe ? lol

Well can anyone suggest a nice rtr electric car ? i have a few in mind but i want to know what you guys like and what you think would be good for drifting.

I realy like the yokomo kit but it mean $200-240 for a kit is a little much for me. I just want something to mess around with and have fun sliding around corners. I dont need some competition ready kit that costs as much or more than a rtr model that would be sufficiant for what i want to do.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Tech Master

Well, there is the RTR TC3 for around $250 to $270.

As for the PVC pipe tires, check this site out:

http://www.rcdrift.com/

And take good like at the tires they all use.
rc_bam226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #8
Tech Addict

well for drifitn u will be wantin the responsiveness of a shaft and im not a pro shaft person cuz i drive an mi2, i jsut think that with this mass amount of torque u wont be wantin belt lag to defuse it a little bit so the tc3 would be my choise for driftin
John_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
The car takes a standard, 540 size motor its does NOT take a 550 sized motor

told ya that I not down with the techno babble; I just build 'em and race 'em.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #10
ajg

Quote:
Originally posted by GundamWZero
(there is a guy, which I'll leave his name out, who said his micro can do well over 70 )
And it can. Do you have a problem with someone having a faster car?
ajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Well since were debating on who's car is faster my real car would take you all

Lets not clutter my thread with this do it in his thread since he is making the claim.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:10 PM   #12
ajg

What car do you have? Because all my real cars would probably take yours. (4 bimmers: 323i, 325ic, m3, m3 w/supercharger)
Old 07-09-2004, 04:29 PM   #13
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your just a kid dude, im doubting they are your cars when you claim to not even be able to afford a speed meter to backup your claims of the micro's speed. And can you reduce that stupid signature it takes up over a 1/3rd of the page when im trying to view the forums. I dont care what car and stuff you have!
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:38 PM   #14
ajg

Do you want me to take pics? Also, I don't want to spend much more money on my rc's, I do have money.

Also, I don't think anyone cares if you care about what stuff I have.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #15
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by ajg
What car do you have? Because all my real cars would probably take yours. (4 bimmers: 323i, 325ic, m3, m3 w/supercharger)
No offense, but they're probably your parents' cars.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote