what's the best clipon heatsink?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what's the best clipon heatsink?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default what's the best clipon heatsink?

What's the best clipon heatsink? With a Fan and without a fan? And has anyone tried a thermal paste? (on a cpu it really helps heat transfer but it could be a bit messy). Is there a comparison chart somewhere?
Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Tech Master

Check out 3-Racing heatsinks. That's what most people use.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I bought a whole bunch of those 3racing heatsink fan units for the guys down here.

They're pretty much rubbish. The fans are mounted the wrong way (sucking, not blowing air onto the heatsink) and the fans themselves are weak. Of course, nothing sotpping you from mounting a stronger muchmore fan on there...

The trouble with all these aftermarket heatsinks is that they're aluminium. And they don't have enough contact area on the bottom. Front a mainenance POV, i'd stay away from thermal compounds because it's messy and you need to reapply if your heatsink shifts... (not to mention that stuff is a carcinogen!)

Personally, I think it's better to buy a fan or two (the much more ones are nice and strong) and aim them at the motor can and the endbell especially. Much more effective!

(The heatsinks are a nice bit of bling though...)
Old 07-18-2006, 02:13 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We have been buying the 3Racing heatsink/fan combo from a person on Ebay out in the Washington area. They are like 6 bucks and he ships very fast.

What we do is take the fan off, flip it upside down and mount it using only the 2 outer screw holes to it hangs over the side. Basically you are left with a heatsink on the motor that doesn't restrict a lot of outgoing air flow and a fan blowing directly into the endbell. For 6 bucks it actually does work. With this setup we usually break the fans pretty quickly in a side impact (doesn't take much) but the fans are available seperately from the same guy on Ebay for like 3 bucks. We just grab them 2-3 at a time =)

Have fun,
Nick
Old 07-18-2006, 03:03 AM
Tech Champion

If I was to consider using a clip on heatsink try to make sure it doesnt cover the holes of the can.

I think Associated do a narrow one. Might be worth checking out Then have a fan blowing on the endbell.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AngryAsian
The fans are mounted the wrong way (sucking, not blowing air onto the heatsink) and the fans themselves are weak.

Im Pretty Sure The Fan Is Supposed To Suck The Air Outa The Motor. As The Air From The Armature Rotating Would Usually Come Outa There Anyways, So In Fact The Fan Just Aids And Helps The Hot Air Escape Quicker ?

What Most People Do Is Mount The Fan On The Two Rear Holes, So The Fan Hangs Over And Cools The End Bell

-
John
Old 07-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by [[john]]
Im Pretty Sure The Fan Is Supposed To Suck The Air Outa The Motor. As The Air From The Armature Rotating Would Usually Come Outa There Anyways, So In Fact The Fan Just Aids And Helps The Hot Air Escape Quicker ?

What Most People Do Is Mount The Fan On The Two Rear Holes, So The Fan Hangs Over And Cools The End Bell

-
John
the three racing ones with a new fan are the best youcan get
Old 07-18-2006, 08:37 AM
Tech Adept

Default Integy fan

Integy fan and heatsink are also nice and effective. Check them out.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Kwik
We have been buying the 3Racing heatsink/fan combo from a person on Ebay out in the Washington area. They are like 6 bucks and he ships very fast.

What we do is take the fan off, flip it upside down and mount it using only the 2 outer screw holes to it hangs over the side. Basically you are left with a heatsink on the motor that doesn't restrict a lot of outgoing air flow and a fan blowing directly into the endbell. For 6 bucks it actually does work. With this setup we usually break the fans pretty quickly in a side impact (doesn't take much) but the fans are available seperately from the same guy on Ebay for like 3 bucks. We just grab them 2-3 at a time =)

Have fun,
Nick
Nick, are the fans 25mm or 30mm? Thanks
Old 07-18-2006, 09:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like the 3 racing clip but the stock fan is garbage. I do like Nick mentioned from Team Kwik and flip the fan over and hang it off the end to blow on the endbell. It really has helped keep the heat down. But I replaced the fan with a Novak fan and have had no problems since.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I like the 3 racing clip but the stock fan is garbage. I do like Nick mentioned from Team Kwik and flip the fan over and hang it off the end to blow on the endbell. It really has helped keep the heat down. But I replaced the fan with a Novak fan and have had no problems since.

I agree Jon - I bought the 3racing heatsink+fan and the fan stopped working after one week. I now have the novak fan on order.

Last edited by tbeardmore; 07-18-2006 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

If those Novak fans are the same as the one on the GTB they are pretty terrible. Ive broken lots of those and they are expensive. If those are a lot better then the 3racing ones then those must be bad!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
If those Novak fans are the same as the one on the GTB they are pretty terrible. Ive broken lots of those and they are expensive. If those are a lot better then the 3racing ones then those must be bad!!
They are that bad. The problem is that the size needed is a 30mm fan and they're just not as common as the 25mm or 40mm fans out there. You can get a decent quality 40mm fan fairly cheap but it won't fit on the heat sink.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Tech Champion

Hopefully, these will come out soon, at least for those of us running brushless systems...

or for brush motors:

They don't look like they'd take much of an impact though...
Old 07-18-2006, 11:34 AM
KoE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

been using yokomo magnesium power cooler heatsink... nice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.