R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2004, 11:16 PM   #1
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Forming Drift Club at Local Track - Need Your Advice!!!

Hello!

I have been given the responsibility of forming a drift club at my local track.

I will be given a TL-01 car to use as a demo car, and I will be ordering preassembled drift wheels. So hopefully it will come together fairly smoothly. I will be using some of my electronics and batteries will also be donated.

But I need your help in trying to organize activities around R/C drifting at my track. Now I realize it should be less strict than racing, which we have, but I don't really know where to start.

What types of things should I have? What I am looking for is just a friendly atmosphere where a different group of people will be hanging out. I still race but being given the responsibility of trying to form a drift club is a neat idea.

I should mention that I am in Toronto, Canada, where there are some serious real-car enthusiasts. So hopefully we can try to attact some of them into the hobby. Racing is so hardcore, but drifting is more about flow!

I would really appreciate your suggestions in this thread - hopefully there will be enough ideas to make me feel more confident and have more of a plan than before!

So, what types of drift activities should we have? Just run for fun? Any types of competition? Skills development? Concours? Any suggestions will be very helpful to me, and I really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Last edited by F1Junkie; 07-08-2004 at 11:34 PM.
F1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

Definitely concourse, after all part of drifting is about style. But also have competition to actually drift instead of just standing around and just looking at non-moving cars .
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 05:21 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for the input...
I brought 3 handmade sets of ABS pipe tires to the track on a Friday race night. We had three cars drifting away, and people seemed to have fun watching and driving.

I plan on making about 10 more sets that we would sell at the track really cheap to drum up more interest. I think the most we can do at the moment is to have enough people drifting for fun, which was my whole intention.

So hopefully it will work out for us soon!

Thanks, keep the ideas coming!

Dave
Old 07-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 142 (100%+)

Dave - where can I find some info on making my own drift tries? I have a TL-01 LA sitting collecting dust and if you've had success drifting with yours, perhaps you can pass on some pointers. Pics of tire assembly would be nice.
SteveM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveM
Dave - where can I find some info on making my own drift tries? I have a TL-01 LA sitting collecting dust and if you've had success drifting with yours, perhaps you can pass on some pointers. Pics of tire assembly would be nice.
Pretty easy to make tires. Just take your wheels to the local home depot or other hardware supply store. Find PVC piping big enough for the wheels to fit in, (cant remember the exact size right now), use a pipe cutter to cut it so that you have straight cuts. Use glue to glue the pipe onto the wheels.

Check out rcdrift.com for more info.
TC3xRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Exactly -

2" ABS from Home Depot works great...

The only thing I'll add, I put the rim in a trie truer and file the edge a little bit so it fits snug, then use thick CA...

They truned out really good for a first try... Got the pipe cutter from Canadian Tire

What do you think?

No assembly pics at this time, sorry...

Dave

Old 07-11-2004, 09:47 PM   #7
Tech Elite

I would actually say bring it in as a spec class for racing. Basically run races as you usually would, the only requirment would be drift pvc wheels. Batteries and motors wouldn't be important at all heck you could run 1500's and still be competative since you'll have no grip. It would even the playing field. Just a thought...
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:39 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Hi -

Just wanted to say that drifting is definitely getting a bit more popular - people are trying out my wheels and supporting the local track by buying the rims and having me install the ABS for them...

Here's a shot of my newest batch of drift tires.... 3 sets are already spoken for....

Old 07-16-2004, 11:50 PM   #9
Tech Master

What did you use to hold the PVC? It looks really clean. Ca?
Good job.

DRIFFTTT!

(stole the IMG from your first post, LOL)
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote