R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Texas Postman Send a message via Yahoo to Texas Postman
Default Foam vs Rubber

Somebody give me some advice, here. I've raced carpet/foams, and I've raced asphalt/rubber....Touring cars. The shock mounting positions..sway bars, and shock oil are vastly different between the 2. Now, I plan to race carpet with rubber tires. Is there much difference, between the foam set-up, and rubber?? I used to run a TC3, with 60ft/40rr..shocks mounted in the outer holes, on the towers, and 25ft/30rr in spring rates. Would these be comperable???
The TPM....
Texas Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Not too sure as I dont race this way, but foams give you instant grip, while rubbers you have to warm up a little before they start working more or less. Downside to foams is that they wear down and change handling characteristics unlike rubber.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Foams have alot of grip on carpet, so a stiff chassie and stiff springs. Rubber tire on carpet no grip soft chassie and springs to get the car to roll onto the tire with grip.
Tim
Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Why has foam touring died off in most places?

That said its nice not to worry about tire diameter, truing and change in rollout.

Do people use tire warmers for carpet rubber?
rc_square24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Texas Postman Send a message via Yahoo to Texas Postman
Default Ah...ok

I understand what you've said...but, i still would like a more definitive answer. Is it better, I keep the asphalt settings...the spring set-up...and only change the shock oil, or what?
TPMan
Texas Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

When I converted my foam Xray T2 '007 to a VTA car, I removed the top deck standoff stiffeners, went to lighter shock oils, softer shock springs, leaned the shocks in more, 1 degree less camber up front, 2 degrees toe in in the rear, rear quick roll center from in and high to in and low. Didn't change the caster at all.

Don't know if this will help you with the TC3, but gives you the magnitude of changes moving from a foam car to a rubber car. Make the car soft all around or you'll get traction rolling if you use the foam settings.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Postman View Post
I understand what you've said...but, i still would like a more definitive answer. Is it better, I keep the asphalt settings...the spring set-up...and only change the shock oil, or what?
TPMan
yes, run your rubber tire asphalt setup on the carpet, it will be the closer of the two setups you listed, adjust from there.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I went from foam to rubber on my 009 and yes totally different setup.. Go with the setup that the car comes with and make changes from there... I do have a friend with a xray t2 and he runs vta on asphalt and carpet with the same setup. Dont know how but he does

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:22 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_square24 View Post
Why has foam touring died off in most places?

That said its nice not to worry about tire diameter, truing and change in rollout.

Do people use tire warmers for carpet rubber?
Foam is way more expensive then rubber JMO...

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I missed foam when i found out it had been cut from the local tracks. It was nice to have such awesome traction and being able to put power down anywhere.

I have a couple weekends of rubber racing, and after the car is setup properly I could get used to not having foam. Just money saved on tires and not having to bring or ask people for a tire truer is already a lot of saved effort. I'm thinking about converting an old car to foam and just running it for kicks though

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
yes, run your rubber tire asphalt setup on the carpet, it will be the closer of the two setups you listed, adjust from there.
+1

It's a good reason why rubber/carpet is more popular now (UK) because the car setups are alot more similar, foams takes everything in to a different but better world
Old 10-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup, start with a good asphalt setup. Your best bet is to got to rc10.com and look up Barry Bakers Reedy Race setup from around 2001. Turn your front diff into a slipper spool (take out the diff balls, clean your diff bevel gear and rings and reassemble with no balls or diff lube). This will let an outdrive slip if you whack something. If you run a solid spool you will bend a drive shaft if you touch anything.

Last edited by AdrianM; 10-28-2010 at 11:13 AM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote