R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2004, 07:05 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Pro4 question.

There are so many post on the pro 4 thread, can someone tell me all the main problems that have seem to be common with this car. I am trying to decide if I should get one or not, There doesn't seem to be much support for the car up here in Toronto. I am also thinking about getting the new Tamiya EvoIV. Our distributor here in Canada (actually in Toronto) has just recieved them today.
But it may be too soon to get that car yet. Please help me decide. I will be racing out doors with it. I am running a TA04-R and the only problems I have had is small stones getting trapped in the rear diff housing. I want to try a shaft drive car. I had a TC3 but I didn't really like the car much.
csilve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how much is the EVO IV going for down in TO?
I have an XXX-S and i had a MR4TC-SD
i didnt really find a big difference in the 2, other than the SD's drivetrain was much more free. I think if both cars were setup the exact same id never really notice a diff. But then again im not a seasoned pro.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I was told tonight its going to be aroung $600 or a little under.
Old 07-07-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

6!? goddamn
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt

I currently race a Pro4. I find it a wonderful car. There a plethora of possible adjustments. I have yet to seriously damage my car in a collision. Consider this, for the price of the Pro4 you get one of the best chassis on the market (the drive train is ice smooth), you get threaded shock bodies, front one-way, sway bars all included. I got mine off EBay for a steal. But you can find them on the net for $290 USD. Check out KThobbies.com. I would really recommend the Pro4. Ask you question in the Pro4 forum for more help with help on how the car works on asphalt, I run on carpet. Take care, Snowy.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:01 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

I have a Pro 4 too, and the only problems i see are spare parts and arms breaking. I am selling/trading mine already because i didnt really like it. It was also hard to get to the diffs when you need to the most, because that top deck screws are a pain.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:05 AM   #7
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by NVisible
6!? goddamn
$1USD = about $1.4 CDN

About the Pro4, the only parts I've broken on mine are the diff gears. PRP makes a brace for the ver. 1 gears, and HPI is releasing a Ver. 2 gears to fix the problem.

I never broke a single gear after putting the PRP gear plate in.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Default Great price.

I had a TC3 and sold it for a Pro 4. I love it so far. I bought it from rctechonline.com for $269.99. It was the cheapest I've ever found it. Shipping was only $10. The only problem I've had with it is the rear diff keeps loosening after every run. I've started using blue thread lock and it helps. I highly recommend the Pro 4.
brushless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #9
Tech Adept

When will the updated kits be on the market and how will I know if I am buying one? The new Tamiya Evo-4 is way to much. I am seriously thinking about the HPI once I sell my E-maxx. I had a HPI Por-2 and it was great, I didn't like the Pro-3. Because of the
lack of success of the Pro-3 not too many shops up here in Toronto seem to be too interested in the Pro-4 yet.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default COST

At the end of the day< tamiya Kits like the 415 and Evo4 cost about the same as the pro4 or other top of the line kits. With the pro4, you still have to buy 3 or 4 different toe-in blocks, the spacer kit, and 2 sets of stabs before what you get will be comparable to what you get with a 415 or evo4. DONT LOOK PRICE AT THE KIT PRICE ALONE, ALSO LOOK AT WHAT COMES WITH THE KIT!!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:50 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL
Default Re: Great price.

Quote:
Originally posted by brushless
I had a TC3 and sold it for a Pro 4. I love it so far. I bought it from rctechonline.com for $269.99. It was the cheapest I've ever found it. Shipping was only $10. The only problem I've had with it is the rear diff keeps loosening after every run. I've started using blue thread lock and it helps. I highly recommend the Pro 4.
Cool you bought it from my LHS

I too am VERY happy with this car. I got it for $200.00USD with tons of spares. The parts are also very cheap. This car is super durable but I broke an arm because of some harsh hits to the board.

The only drawback about this car would be the hard to access differentials. You have to take off the entire deck to access them.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:45 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Default jedi

What do you mean by spacer kit and I thought that the kit comes with front and rear stabalizers.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The spacer kit are basically .5, 1 and 2mm spacers that allow you to adjust the car's roll center. The does come with stabilizers but only the 1.6mm thickness bar. You have to buy the 1.2 and 1.4mm stabs to allow you to fine tune while tamiya kits include all three stab bars.

It's a very good car. It's just not any cheaper than tamiyas or any other top of the line kit like some people make it out to be.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:08 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Super Steve

Mmmm...
Pro 4!

are you gonna be racing at TORC?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 127_2779.jpg (148.2 KB, 107 views)
Super Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:09 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Probably not. Maybe just practicing in the winter. I race in Markham in the summer.