R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   XXX-S hop-ups!! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/44520-xxx-s-hop-ups.html)

PSI Racer 07-21-2004 02:23 PM

Originally posted by mwcet8k
No, I just run rubber (track rules). .
The tracks here are kinda soft on the rules until a bigger event other than club racing kicks in. Chunkin' foams suck!

PSI Racer 07-21-2004 05:18 PM

No, I just run rubber (track rules). .
On 2-day events (carpet) we run rubber tires for wstock class, foams on 19t spec and modified classes. But club racing everyone tends to run foams.

TL_XXX-S_racer 07-22-2004 05:01 AM

do u guys think if i get the Matt Francis R/C red aluminum bell-cranks that it will take the slop out of the XXX-S? Cause i want to take that slop out.

thx

mwcet8k 07-22-2004 09:43 AM

Originally posted by TL_XXX-S_racer
do u guys think if i get the Matt Francis R/C red aluminum bell-cranks that it will take the slop out of the XXX-S? Cause i want to take that slop out.

thx

No, those probably won't get rid of the slop at all. In fact, they might even make it worse. There are two potential problems you can have with aluminum bell cranks. One is that they can bend in a crash. In some cases, the bend might be small enough that you don't notice it, but even a slight bend in one of them could really mess up handling. The other problem is that the ball studs and screws could loosen themselves much easier because they're threading directly into metal. The stock plastic bell cranks act like a sort of lock nut, so that's not a problem.

The best way to eliminate slop is to replace the bell crank assembly with a new stock set, replace all the ball cups (including the camber links) and replace the bushings with bearings in the bell cranks. Remember that some slop is normal. Every car has it, whether it's the xxxs or anything else.

TL_XXX-S_racer 07-22-2004 10:40 AM

I replaced the bushings with bearings and replaced the bell-cranks. do u think getting titanium turnbuckles will help?

mwcet8k 07-22-2004 10:52 AM

I replaced the bushings with bearings and replaced the bell-cranks. do u think getting titanium turnbuckles will help?
No, titanium turnbuckles won't do anything to eliminate slop. Replacing all the ball cups is probably your best bet. It's a pain, I know, but the ball cup/ball stud connection is where most of the slop occurs. There has to be a certain amount of play between them to ensure they rotate smoothly. Unfortunately, this play is where the slop comes from. Every time you pop off a ball cup, it "stretches" a tiny amount. Eventually, this will cause it to fit looser than it should, so it's a good idea to replace all of them occasionally. I've actually heard of guys that replace a ball cup the first time one pops off in a crash, which is overkill IMO, but they do it anyway just to be on the safe side.

One more thing. Losi should start selling the new white ball cups pretty soon that all the team drivers have been using lately. You can see them here on Ryan Cavaleri's car:

http://www.teamlosi.com/results/2004/reedytc.htm

They're supposed to have tighter tolerances than the standard ball cups and eliminate some of the play. Not sure when these will be on the market, but it should be soon. You may want to ask Todd Hodge on his thread.

James Nguyen 07-22-2004 11:31 AM

One more thing. Losi should start selling the new white ball cups pretty soon that all the team drivers have been using lately.
They're supposed to have tighter tolerances than the standard ball cups and eliminate some of the play. Not sure when these will be on the market, but it should be soon. You may want to ask Todd Hodge on his thread.

They are already for sale. They are out of the MF2 truck kit. You just have to cut them down a little for the sedan. Part# LOSA6015.

TL_XXX-S_racer 07-22-2004 12:03 PM

can u use a different color ballcups like red? are the colored ones different than those wight ones in the picture?
which would you rather get?
one last thing would u get the titanium turnbuckles or some red aluminum parts.

mwcet8k 07-22-2004 12:19 PM

can u use a different color ballcups like red? are the colored ones different than those wight ones in the picture?
which would you rather get?
one last thing would u get the titanium turnbuckles or some red aluminum parts.

No, the white ones are a unique design and are only available in white. The red, black, yellow etc. are based on the old design. I would go with titanium tie rods. Other than pivot blocks, most of the aftermarket aluminum stuff isn't something you should mess with.

TL_XXX-S_racer 07-22-2004 01:47 PM

hey thx for the help u gave me

mwcet8k 07-22-2004 04:48 PM

No problem. Glad to help.