R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-05-2004, 08:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Integy cheap tire truers? Tire truer help!

Has anyone tried the cheaper Integy tire truers? They have a few models that seem too good to be true. For example, the Handy Tire Truer is only $55, but I am not sure how you make the cut and whether I can use it for 1/12th scale.

The other, the Team TRUECUT seems to be nicer for a decent price. I saw one on Ebay new that had the actual Integy name on it for $120 with a 12th arbor for $27.

Basically, I need a decent truer but there is no way I can drop the $300 on the automatic ones.
24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

Can you drop $250 (including arbor) on a hudy ultimate. It's manual, 110v. I have that one and I love it.

Integy has a new truer for just about $200, also.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
Tech Adept

No way. I just can't do that. I am one of those cheap guys who tried his best to keep up but never will because of my wallet. I am trying to swing $150 or less, but even that it pushing it for me. $250 just makes me cringe. That is more what I paid to get my car going. But with chunking foams I need to get all I can out of them, and the last 2 visits to the track left me high and dry. I thought I could just borrow, but I can never seem to find anyone.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Team Integy AUTOTRUECUT Tire Truing Machine - $ 189.99

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...16104533396.71
kumpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:04 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

You won't get a half-decent cut with anything that costs below $150. Save your bills and wait, get a decent one. They last a long time, it's worth it.

The Autotruecut truer is good, I've used it myself.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:14 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 24601
I thought I could just borrow, but I can never seem to find anyone.
Dude, you have a lot to learn...
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian McGreevy
Can you drop $250 (including arbor) on a hudy ultimate. It's manual, 110v. I have that one and I love it.

Integy has a new truer for just about $200, also.
Brian

Where can you get an Ultimate with Arbor for $250 USD??
wrxmy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:29 AM   #8
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to lastplace

I have the Team Truecut (or Truer4) and it works fine. Upgraded the cutting bit to the Hudy carbide bit. I've heard on these boards, you can get a tile cutting blade at Home Depot, cut it to size and it works just as well. It comes with a hacksaw blade. Arbors from Ofna, RC for Less, Hudy & Integy fit the unit, stick with the Hudy & Integy Arbors..personal opinion.

The only thing missing from the unit is a depth gauge, just use your calipers
lastplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:02 AM   #9
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by The Black Kat
Dude, you have a lot to learn...
What is that supposed to mean. I have been racing for over 8 yrs, and I have had to get by most of the time. Every time I finally decide it is time to make one of these high dollar purchases I have one of two stupid responses:

1. You have to spend all the money in the world. Anything else just won't cut it.

2. Rather than spend any money, borrow at the track. Use the guys who spent all the money to your advantage.

Now, on many, many occasions I have not spent the most money or got the most expensive choice and been fine. My esc is a Novak Dually--works great, not an issue yet. I use cheapish batteries or used--no problems and I am as fast as all bt the fastest, but I can't drive well enough to keep up with them anyway. I have a cobra com lathe I got used for a rockin' deal that cuts just as well as the automatic Hudy. Heck, my closest rival at the track uses an ancient AM radio in his carpet knife!

My point is this. I have tried to borrow, but it sucks. I hate asking and then I have to hope the guy brought his 12th arbors or his blade is good or he has the time to take it back to the truer room, etc. I have nothing to learn here--it is just more hassle than it is worth. Now, if someone can tell me from experience that they tried these truers and they didn't work well or were just as good as the rest, that is the info I need.

Half the guys at the track never true anyway. They run them until either they chunk or are gone. Most of the touring guys just run them until they are gone. I know the fastest guys true them down before they ever run them, and I had a set trued and liked the results. I have actually been racing the last two weekends with big chunks out of both rear tires with my best lap times ever!

All of that comes down to this. I am not going to spend more than $150 period. I would like to hear from people who have used the truers.
Old 07-06-2004, 07:15 AM   #10
Tech Apprentice

I’ve been extremely happy with my Integy tire truer, I’ve upgraded to the Hudy/Ofna carbide bit last year and it cuts perfect….Hope this helps….

Quote:
What is that supposed to mean. I have been racing for over 8 yrs, and I have had to get by most of the time. Every time I finally decide it is time to make one of these high dollar purchases I have one of two stupid responses:

1. You have to spend all the money in the world. Anything else just won't cut it.

2. Rather than spend any money, borrow at the track. Use the guys who spent all the money to your advantage.

Now, on many, many occasions I have not spent the most money or got the most expensive choice and been fine. My esc is a Novak Dually--works great, not an issue yet. I use cheapish batteries or used--no problems and I am as fast as all bt the fastest, but I can't drive well enough to keep up with them anyway. I have a cobra com lathe I got used for a rockin' deal that cuts just as well as the automatic Hudy. Heck, my closest rival at the track uses an ancient AM radio in his carpet knife!

My point is this. I have tried to borrow, but it sucks. I hate asking and then I have to hope the guy brought his 12th arbors or his blade is good or he has the time to take it back to the truer room, etc. I have nothing to learn here--it is just more hassle than it is worth. Now, if someone can tell me from experience that they tried these truers and they didn't work well or were just as good as the rest, that is the info I need.

Half the guys at the track never true anyway. They run them until either they chunk or are gone. Most of the touring guys just run them until they are gone. I know the fastest guys true them down before they ever run them, and I had a set trued and liked the results. I have actually been racing the last two weekends with big chunks out of both rear tires with my best lap times ever!

All of that comes down to this. I am not going to spend more than $150 period. I would like to hear from people who have used the truers.
ClubRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:31 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:

Here it is in a nutshell....
I have a tire truer, I will let people use it once/twice... After that I tell them to get their own or start paying me. Why?
Because if it's that important to them to true there tires then go buy a unit of PAY me $5 per 4 tires.
I have to maintaine/fix/replace parts if they get broken/worn out.
If ya gonna race and need equipment then GO GET IT yourself.
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 07:37 AM   #12
Tech Adept

I have never not offered to pay. The one guy who did let me use his once refused payment.

BTW--the integy automatic one posted looks very similiar in setup to the non-automatic one. I can turn a dial or push a blade to save some money. I really down get all the hype over autmoatic this and that lately. Especially with com lathes. Is it that hard to turn a little dial?
Old 07-06-2004, 07:47 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Have you considered the Team Cobra "Trackside Truer" ?. I have been using one for a couple years with good success. Although not quite as good as the HUDY or Cobra higher end truers, with a little practice, it does a decent job and sells for much less than $100.

I have been racing RC for over 17 years and have always mounted and trued my own tires. I have used everything from a benchtop drill press to the high end truers. The Cobra will get you within .005", the high end truers to maybe .002' of perfection. I have never been able to feel that difference, but you do need to be a little more careful setting it up.

A couple tips for the Cobra - I used a spare rear pan car axle to replace the supplied steel shaft. For 1/12 pan cars you can use the left side hub from your car rather than buying an arbor.
slots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:21 AM   #14
Tech Adept

I did consider that one. My issue was that Tower list a 12th scale arbor part number but does not seem to sell it. I didn't know if the one from the AC version would work, but from what you are saying that might not be an issue anyway. That is good information. Thank you.

Do you happen to have a picture of the replacement axle you made? Sounds interesting.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:54 AM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

Imo, the integy truecut cuts just as well as the hudy one. I am lucky enough to have a friend that lets me borrow thiers. After using the hudy and the truecut, I noticed absolutely no difference.
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote