R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-08-2004, 04:27 PM   #76
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think the best answer to your question is: What does you track carry for parts? In my case about the only parts I can get are for Associated Products. I love the TC3 anyway, but if I couldn't get parts I would probably race something else. Yes, the TC3 is a little fragile, but if you can get the parts it isnt a big deal. I like the look of X-Ray cars, but no one locally carries parts for them. Simply put.... there is not a best touring car. It depends on your driving style, parts availability and many other things. So think about what you need and what you can find parts for and you will answer your own question.

Almost forgot, practice is the most important thing you can do. To win stock class this winter at my local track I only hit the boards 2 time during 4 heats of racing. Waiting for 3 or more seconds to get martialed is more costly than the 0.1 seconds gained by having any one car over another.

Last edited by kufman; 07-08-2004 at 04:32 PM.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 PM   #77
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to 12cellnitro

Well I've come to the conclusion that there is no best car from what everyone says. today at my local track I tested the Mi2, team tc3,xray t1 I think and the losi xxxs. I really couldnt tell which one fit me better. They all were from the mod class, running like 9 and 10 turn motors. They were wayyyyyyyy to fast for me to even get a feel for each one. Every time I got to the straight... and pegged the gas and blinked my eyes...the car was at the end of the straight. All of them had a kinda swinging feel around the corners. The xray had a smoother accel than the tc3 though. The tc3 I tested took off violently and you could hear the gears spinning.

The trip to the track really didnt help.....maybe a visit on stock day could do some good.

I looked at a yokomo rolling chassie for sale at my lhs. It was VERY light and seemed like it would brake from the slightest hit.I am leaning towards the tc3 because it has aluminum parts avalible which make the car stronger but also add weight, and weight isnt a good thing.
12cellnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:02 PM   #78
Tech Rookie

Overall - TRF414M or M2
Never used TC3 before. Tried X-ray evo II not bad......
There's similarity between 414 & evo II but found that 414 is a bit superior.
Yokomo, HPI.....not really but OK

Others. I have no opportunity to study coz. they are not popular in my country. Somebody should introduce.
ciqlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:22 AM   #79
Tech Regular

Be careful on the aluminum parts. If you are just starting out and hit something you can bend them pretty easily and it be hard to see. Then your car's settings will be all out of whack and will be hard to pinpoint/correct.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #80
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have an xxx-s graphite and am quite new, ive only raced 1 time and it was my first ever RC. Having said that, my first ever race i was in the B-Main and finished 3rd vs guys who have been racing for years with their tamiyas & an older yokomo. I found the car very easy to learn and setup. Recently i had a Yokomo SD SSG and yes, it is very light and i was concerned about it breaking as well. After selling it to a friend and seeing him turn into a brick wall and drive away without a break, i thought it wasnt so fragile after all. Maybe in mod racing it would be due to the higher speeds, i dunno i race stock.
NVisible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #81
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by 12cellnitro
Well I've come to the conclusion that there is no best car from what everyone says. today at my local track I tested the Mi2, team tc3,xray t1 I think and the losi xxxs. I really couldnt tell which one fit me better. They all were from the mod class, running like 9 and 10 turn motors. They were wayyyyyyyy to fast for me to even get a feel for each one. Every time I got to the straight... and pegged the gas and blinked my eyes...the car was at the end of the straight. All of them had a kinda swinging feel around the corners. The xray had a smoother accel than the tc3 though. The tc3 I tested took off violently and you could hear the gears spinning.

The trip to the track really didnt help.....maybe a visit on stock day could do some good.

I looked at a yokomo rolling chassie for sale at my lhs. It was VERY light and seemed like it would brake from the slightest hit.I am leaning towards the tc3 because it has aluminum parts avalible which make the car stronger but also add weight, and weight isnt a good thing.
As far as you driving other people cars at your track to decide which one you like is kind of a mistake if you ask me. How a car is set up is based largly on personal driving preference. While you make like a smooth car, the guys, whose car you test drove, may like a twitchy car. Please do not base your decision on driving other peoples cars for that reason. The fastest guy at our track let me try his car and I was a full 1/2 second slower with his car than I was with mine.

As a general note with my personal experience with belt vs shaft is that belt cars (at least mine) feel much smother than shaft cars. In my opinon, shaft cars also feel they accelerate much faster than a belt. This probably has to do with the fact that shafts do not have to wait for all the slack to be taken up as a belt would. The acceleration seems more RIGHT NOW.

Personally, I have the same thoughts as GundamWZero has. Purchase a car and stick with it. All cars out there can win any race on any day. Find one you like...looks...options...parts support...belt/shaft. See what the fast guys are using at your track. They will be able help you with the setup.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:01 PM   #82
Tech Master

Exclamation

Bottomline for the is that PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT if not it DEVELOPS an amateur racer to a PRO level !!!!!!!!!.. Driving style on the tracks is what really matters.......... AHppy racing to all!!
Wency_TA03R-PRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #83
Tech Initiate

I may be biased, but I've run Xray, Tamiya, TC3 and Losi. Xray was a mother to work on, but it was consistent. The shaft cars were fast, but not consistent from track to track. I hardly change anything at all on the stock 415 setup and since I got my Helios (I had horrible glitches for a while) I have yet to be in the B Main. If you race asphalt, the 415 stock setting will be near dialed at almost 90% of tracks and it is a tough car. PLUS, you will feel good about your shiny blue chassis, and positive atitude is a huge factor.
nosNjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #84
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by new92
Be careful on the aluminum parts. If you are just starting out and hit something you can bend them pretty easily and it be hard to see. Then your car's settings will be all out of whack and will be hard to pinpoint/correct.
Thanks, I agreed with you and its a piece of advice. You are using X-ray. What are the latest version 9I just came to know the factory kit. haven't tested it. but seems pretty good.

Have you ever using 414 before, or if you have any other info, please advise. Appreciate your input
Old 07-10-2004, 12:45 AM   #85
Tech Apprentice

Default ALEX RACING DESIGN

There are many top of the line touring cars e.g xray tc3,evo lll , and heaps and heaps more but the Best i think is the

BARRACUDA R1
BARRACUDA R2 ( which i own)
and
BARRACUDA R3 the latest version
just my 2 cents see ya
mr barracuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:04 AM   #86
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to 12cellnitro

Got to drive the rtr tc3 and the rtr xxxs at my track today. I like the accel of the tc3... but the xxxs is easier to corner to me . I think it had an upgraded steering servo. I am leaning toward the tc3 but... I dont want to make a decision until I see the barracuda car. Anyone have a link to it? Never head of it before. I dont think anyone runs it at my track, and more than likely we dont have parts. I could always order them in bulk and keep them stocked right?
12cellnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:38 PM   #87
Tech Rookie

Default Re: ALEX RACING DESIGN

Quote:
Originally posted by mr barracuda
There are many top of the line touring cars e.g xray tc3,evo lll , and heaps and heaps more but the Best i think is the

BARRACUDA R1
BARRACUDA R2 ( which i own)
and
BARRACUDA R3 the latest version
just my 2 cents see ya
Oh yes, the one with shaft driven.
would like to test drive on 1 of the models. Except for TB Evo and Yokomo SD (.....forgotten) never try others.

There's a friend owned 1 Barracuda. Will try to exchange for test drive with my TRF414.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:12 AM   #88
Tech Rookie

Cool

Who owns the World Champion Title .......
FastP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:33 AM   #89
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by FastP
Who owns the World Champion Title .......
I didn't own the world champion title but I do own the TRF 414M world champion (2002/2003) replica edition.

Old 07-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

I don't want to be mean an all......but you are "leaning" towards a TC3, right? The just "fall over" and buy it! You are not going to start winning with it.......it will take practice and for you to know your car. I am not going to tell you to buy a car cause I have it, heck it took a lot of losing and parts to get where I am at, and it not even over for me yet.

It is important for me to tell you that getting a car from your hobby shop that has a large inventory for that particular car is a must! I know you are torn between which car you should get and beleive me, I was where you at too. Soon those guys are going to get tired of you "testing" out their cars and won't let you run them until you get you own. After you buy your car, they will assist you in how to keep up with them. If they don't, then they are assholes, period!

Just don't pick a car that you have to wait on parts for. Sorry if I came off rude. It wasn't my intention.

-Rodney.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote