R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-06-2004, 01:38 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by onnetz
my opinion is that there is no "best" tc,
its all about driving style.....
all the top cars are capable of winning against each other.
Well spoken !!!
Old 07-06-2004, 03:51 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I run a XXX-S. Primarily because I am just starting out, and that is what most of the guys (especially the fast guys) were running at my local track. I am very happy with it - so far it has been very easy to work on and parts are easy to come by. Sure, some parts have broken, but I can't blame the car - it has been driver error every time (as I said, I just started racing a couple of months ago).

You will read about how adjustable a car is - if you are just starting, too much adjustability can be a bad thing - at least until you learn what adjustment needs to be made to get the handling result you are looking for.

A couple of guys I run with have switched from Losi to the new X-Ray, and they are happy with it - but I can't speak for them. I just know that I don't regret for one minute going with the Losi. Mine is the non-graphite version, but as parts are replaced, it's easy to convert to the G+.

On the belt issue, the XXX-S has an enclosed belt, so rocks and stuff can't become a problem.

Bottom line - I would say to buy something that others you race with are familiar with, since they will be able to help ALOT. As a beginner, I can't imagine that the car will make THAT much difference - it's all in the driver's skill - at least that is the way I see it.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:16 PM   #63
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nrctc3
What's heavier... A pound of feathers, or a pound of titanium?
neither, they both weigh the same

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:31 PM   #64

If I were you my two big performers would be the xray t1 factory kit and the schumacher mi2. Both are very competitive cars. Currently I run the xray but I may switch to schumacher you never know. Both are very excellent competitive cars.
Zach P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:36 PM   #65
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
I have both the Losi RTR and the Yokomo SSG SD. I'm still waiting for some electronics to be released for the Yoke, but as for the XXX-S, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!

The only thing I would have done different is I would have got the Losi XXX-S Graphite +.

But the RTR is simple to break down to clean, tune, upgrade, or whatever it is you want to do. The HD black belt kit is THEE first thing to get, everything else is optional. I just started racing, so learning to tune is my priority right now. I went to my first race Sat., and I did TERRIBLE .

bUT i'M Not A qUiTtEr

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

xray is the easiest to tune and the best quality
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:28 PM   #67
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by dontfeelcold
xray is the easiest to tune and the best quality

Not true at all i run tc3 and have run losi and yokomo i do not believe there is one easiest to tune car out there,depending on skill level,set up ability etc.,i prefer tc3 not saying it is the best just the best for me.
lowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:40 PM   #68
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to 12cellnitro

Theres alot of good info here, thanks

So I've narrowed it down to these cars

1. TC3
2.XXX-s
3. Xray
4.Hpi pro 4
5.Yokomo
6. Mi2

At, my track theres a pretty even spread between the tc3, xxx-s, pro 4 and the Mi2. It should be pretty easy for me to get help with any one I pick. On thursday I will go down to the practice session and ask to try out a few cars. Thursday is mod practice, wont be able to get to stock practice, so I'll just have to test with mod power.Testing should give me a general feel for each car... even though the drivers have them set up to their likes.

Another thing I looked at when browsing though a few web pages, there are many versions of each car. Theres a racer tc3, a team tc3, and a factory team tc3., xxx-s G+, several xray's and several yokomo's. How do I know which version to pick?
12cellnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #69
Tech Adept

with tc3 racer kit you get composite body shocks,axles,steel turnbuckles,FT tc3 threaded shock bodies,blue titanium turn buckles,blue screw kit,heat sink,motor cam,graphite parts more bling
lowline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero
Default Re: Re: ...

Quote:
Originally posted by 12cellnitro
All non tc3 drivers just got owned.....but what about the yokomo cars?
I wouldn't worry about what that clown said.......if he'd read carefully, he'll know that I once had one and sold it......so much for the TC3!

Let me try to kill this thread: get a car and stick with it till you start winning! With the exception of the XRay (which probally suck too, I don't know) I've driven every top level TC out there, and I always wind up driving something from HPI! Period! Why? I don't know, I just do. I now have two Yokomo GT4s and I want a HPI R40 to race with on the nitro side. I have a Tamyia Evolution III and enough spare parts to built a second car and I want a HPI RS4 Pro4 on the electric side!

Whatever TC you get, like I said before, make sure you don't have to wind up ordering parts all the time cause the hobby store don't carry the parts. Buy a car they have the most parts, aftermarket or otherwise.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:20 PM   #71
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to 12cellnitro

do the yokomo cars have good quality? They look very fragile and so does the xray
12cellnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 02:42 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by 12cellnitro
do the yokomo cars have good quality? They look very fragile and so does the xray
fragile.. that's why they call them brokomos
I used to own the SD and the xray as well..they are both very good cars... as far as craftsmanship and quality..xray is best.

SPEEDTECH|FUTABA|KO|ORION|SPEEDWORLD|HARA
rc-zombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:22 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rc-zombies
fragile.. that's why they call them brokomos
Yeah, I heard that one, before.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #74
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I currently run a TC3, Schumacher Mi2 and a Tamaya 415. I have owned the X-Ray and Yokomo SD cars as well. If you are a beginner and/or just starting out with touring cars, I would highly recommend the TC3. It is the easiest to get going with and be fast with. A lot of beginners that have jumped into the TC3 have become good, fast when compared to others with different cars. A FT TC3 needs little to nothing out of the box to be competitive. This car also has incredible parts support.
It will also be able to easily convert your TC3 to the "TC4" if it ever comes out.
While there really is not one best car out there. All the top level cars are very competitive and any could win on any given day.
I feel what makes the TC3 stand out from the rest is the fact that it is 5 years old and is as good as anything out there. It is simple to build and work on and spare parts are everywhere. There are not as many tunig options on this car as there are on others but it dosn't really need them...also making it easier for a beginner to set up and drive. I have seen so many beginers buy an Xray, Tamiya or Corally and just give up on the hobby because they couldn't get the cars to run right...too many tuning options for beginners and most others.
I have retired my TC3 (for the time being) in favor of my Mi2 and 415. I currently run indorrs on carpet with foams. For the Mi2 I needed to buy a stiffer chassis and for the 415 I had to buy custom outdrives for a front diff (since Tamiaya does not make a front diff for the car) and had to lock up the one way pully on the layshaft. With a TC3 you would have to do all these things and it will run perfect anywhere right out of the box.
Hope this helps!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #75
Tech Regular

I wasnt going to get into this since it always ends up as run what I have type replies lol. I started about 6 months ago with a TC3 and improved pretty quick with it. My problem was....if I just TAPPED a pipe it broke an A arm....everyone at the track was amazed....the marshall sitting right by the corner would be like, "I dont get it it barely even touched anything". I bought an XRay when Speedtech had them on sale a few months ago and the first night out with it I ran a lap faster and dropped average lap times by almost a full second with the stock setup. Since April I have broken 1 C hub on the car and have gone on to pick up 3 laps and now regularly make the A main running maybe 2 or 3 seconds behind the fast guys at the track. Yes, it is easy to dial yourself out with the X Ray but the one time I did that I just went back to box setup and with about 3 changes from that I was right back into it.

Just my opinion but I love the XRay by far, (and I still have 2 TC3's that are basically sitting on the shelf in my room to display bodies lol.
new92 is offline   Reply With Quote