Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Will wait for the video.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #17
Tech Master

I deff will have a video of how it runs on the track. It's a decent sized track, 1/10 scale size jumps and stuff. It also has a dirt oval around it. I'll stick with the stock tires and I am going to give it a good amount of preload too. I noticed the stock tires do get warm and sticky after a few mins of sliding around. 92-98* to be exact pavement was 82*, but it doesn't seem to provide any extra traction when they are warm. They warm up, but don't soften really.
I have a tripod that is finally getting some use Also before I was kicked out today, I got one pass on film, the one where it tumbled out of nowhere. I had to figure out why, so I slowed it down like crazy to see what happened....

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

EDIT: Actually going to the YT page and switching to 480p and full screen looks just like it did before I uploaded it, much better than the embedded one.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

those orange turnbuckles, they look like they're fixed linkages, adjustable or not? damn the wheelbase between this and 1/10 touring car is like a mile apart, lol

good thing 1/10 sedan rims and tires fit, put on some tamiya super drift tech premounted tires and you're in business. now the hard thing left is finding a scale looking sedan body...
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #19
Tech Master

Yea the turnbuckles, red actually , are fixed. I don't know why they molded fake hexes on them. But to adjust toe angle, according to the book, you either tighten or loosen, both upper and lower pivot balls the same amount. It does make sense, just a lil more work, and if you're not careful, you will throw camber out out whack. I haven't messed with them. It comes with 1* front toe-in, 1.5* rear toe-in, and 2* negative camber all around from the factory.

And yea, I have no clue where to start for a body
Old 10-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Wonder if any of the Tamiya M-class or HPI Super Cup bodies would fit?
pejota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to SnoopMaxx

HPI are too narrow
The only one I know of that would fit are the Parma Midnight Pumpkin

and the Tamiya Datsun 280ZX

Morten
c",)
SnoopMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:36 AM   #22
Tech Master

Well I somehow managed to break a servo gear tonight playing with it in the parking lot. It's odd, I didn't hit anything, I didn't have any tumbling action. It just started clicking like crazy when turned to the right out of no where. Seems like if I just quickly full lock to the right, It works fine, but I can not steer slowly that way.

This does put a damper on my plans for the morning, but I will still go try it out and get what I can out of it. I will have to replace the servo, or get a rebuild kit late morning when one of the LHS' opens up.

Any metal geared micro servos out there?

Also it is much more tame with the single battery setup, and still plenty fast and fun.

Last edited by SloRacer1080; 10-18-2010 at 04:05 AM.
SloRacer1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Did you check the EPA and the steering Expo ?

Here's the Traxxas Gear Set for VXL Micro Waterproof Servo

And a few micro servos HERE

Morten
c",)
Old 10-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #24
Tech Master

Yea the EPAs were good, expo I had turned up a lil bit to calm down some of the twitchyness. I would understand if it broke during a tumble, but it was just driving normal one minute, and the next, click city. I'm not too happy bout it. Thanks for the links, Hitec HS-65 or HS-82 Metal Geared here I come

Video from the track is uploading now. I tried my best, but a few mins in the servo got pretty bad. It wouldn't turn unless it was moving, and even then it didn't always work. So it's not as good as I wanted, but I can always try again once it's replaced.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

By the way, I am not looking forward to cleaning it. I'm going to have to fully disassemble it, clean everything and reassemble it. I can't even get the batteries out...

Last edited by SloRacer1080; 10-18-2010 at 11:39 AM.
SloRacer1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #25
Tech Addict

LOL and they said It wouldn't do good on dirt

The stock mini servo horn has had a few issues in the past
I would pick the HS-82 MG servo (47.22oz-in 3.4kg-cm at 6.0V)
the Traxxas servo has a vee bit less.. 41.7 oz-in torque at 6.0V

Morten
c",)
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #26
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

now that's what I'm Talking about. How bout some triple. LOL.
GCT69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloRacer1080 View Post
Well I somehow managed to break a servo gear tonight playing with it in the parking lot. It's odd, I didn't hit anything, I didn't have any tumbling action. It just started clicking like crazy when turned to the right out of no where. Seems like if I just quickly full lock to the right, It works fine, but I can not steer slowly that way.

This does put a damper on my plans for the morning, but I will still go try it out and get what I can out of it. I will have to replace the servo, or get a rebuild kit late morning when one of the LHS' opens up.

Any metal geared micro servos out there?

Also it is much more tame with the single battery setup, and still plenty fast and fun.
The car is so new that if you call traxxas they will send you a brand new one in a heartbeat.... For Free...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpassedu View Post
The car is so new that if you call traxxas they will send you a brand new one in a heartbeat.... For Free...
really now? I was thinking about doing that myself, cause the car is only just over 48hours old dammit
Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCT69 View Post
now that's what I'm Talking about. How bout some triple. LOL.
lol, with the servo crapping out, I wasn't able to do keep it to straight under hard acceleration.. as you can see in the vid but I'm all for trying again with a new servo, and I want to pick up actual rally tires. These actually don't do all that bad considering the tread design is like a negative of dirt rally tires.

BTW- the vid was done using a single battery setup, 2 in series would be uncontrollable in the dirt.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #30
Tech Master

Yea it did, but if that damaged it, it should have shown symptoms sooner then over an hour more of use. I'm not claiming to know for sure, I probably never will, all I'm saying is the problem should have surfaced earlier. I'm gonna give calling traxxas a try, worst they can do is say no, and I'm in the same position.