Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Cling Film / plastic wrap on tyres? >

Cling Film / plastic wrap on tyres?

Cling Film / plastic wrap on tyres?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:08 AM
  #1  
Tech Adept
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: southampton, UK
Posts: 145
Default Cling Film / plastic wrap on tyres?

Ok, so in pictures from national events - cant remember where exactly, if i did I would provide a picture. But they appear to be using cling-film onto of the additive/tyres for the tyre prep.

by cling film i mean, plastic-wrap, Cellophane depending on your nationality.

Has anyone tried this, what advantages did you find.

currently the trend is to use tissue ontop of the additive and then heat.
geubes is offline  
Old 10-16-2010, 01:03 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (120)
 
Potoczak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA
Posts: 3,708
Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)
Default

I would think they are using the plastic wrap so the tire sauce does not soak into it. Tissue would soak up the sauce.
Potoczak is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM
  #3  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (64)
 
Jamison R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,572
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
I would think they are using the plastic wrap so the tire sauce does not soak into it. Tissue would soak up the sauce.
Cling wrap is to avoid evaporation. Tissue is to hold the prep as close to tire as possible and keeps the prep even all the way around the tire. This has been done in Go Kart racing for years. Heat is obviously to get the prep infaster. Paper towels work better than tissue imho, but use what you have I guess.
Jamison R is offline  
Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 PM
  #4  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (97)
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: WEST COAST
Posts: 640
Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)
Default

works on kart tires
koz47 is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 03:29 AM
  #5  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (64)
 
Jamison R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,572
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by koz47 View Post
works on kart tires
I have been doing this on kart tires for years. Time to try it in RC
Jamison R is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:07 AM
  #6  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,911
Default

Originally Posted by geubes View Post
Ok, so in pictures from national events - cant remember where exactly, if i did I would provide a picture. But they appear to be using cling-film onto of the additive/tyres for the tyre prep.

by cling film i mean, plastic-wrap, Cellophane depending on your nationality.

Has anyone tried this, what advantages did you find.

currently the trend is to use tissue ontop of the additive and then heat.
Normally use tissue, I have only tried cellophane once outdoors and all it did was make the car very slippery (despite removing excess before running).

Perhaps on the water based stuff that is used on carpet it would be of more use as that additive is a lot thinner.

Skiddins
Skiddins is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 07:58 AM
  #7  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (64)
 
Jamison R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,572
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Normally use tissue, I have only tried cellophane once outdoors and all it did was make the car very slippery (despite removing excess before running).

Perhaps on the water based stuff that is used on carpet it would be of more use as that additive is a lot thinner.

Skiddins
Tires cannot be run immediately after removing cling wrap. The tire needs to sit for atleast 30-45 minutes with no wrap, no heat or prep. Reheat tire for 10 minutes (no prep) after the 30 minutes and should be good to go.
Jamison R is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,911
Default

Originally Posted by KingKarate757 View Post
Tires cannot be run immediately after removing cling wrap. The tire needs to sit for atleast 30-45 minutes with no wrap, no heat or prep. Reheat tire for 10 minutes (no prep) after the 30 minutes and should be good to go.
That's far more time than I want to allocate to tyre prep!

Why not just use the inside of the cups instead of wrap, they are smooth etc?

Skiddins
Skiddins is offline  
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM
  #9  
R/C Tech Elite Member
iTrader: (64)
 
Jamison R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,572
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
That's far more time than I want to allocate to tyre prep!

Why not just use the inside of the cups instead of wrap, they are smooth etc?

Skiddins
Not something you would use for every race. Its for softening of spec type tires. It brings durometer reading(shore) down and can significantly change a tire depending on chemicals allowed.
Jamison R is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.