R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   winding motors. (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/44263-winding-motors.html)

xray racer 07-03-2004 01:25 AM

winding motors.

hey,
just wondering if anyone can give me some advice on winding motors???
or give me a link to a site that shows you how to

basically, i want to know HOW TO wind my own motors... not necessarily for top competition... but mainly for my own experiments

if someone could help me out that would be great...

thanx
robbie

Joe B 07-03-2004 03:50 AM

You'd have more luck asking for instructions on how to build a space shuttle.........:)

xray racer 07-03-2004 03:51 AM

hahahah fair enuf then.... thanx anywayz

Joe B 07-03-2004 03:58 AM

Try www.rccars.com then click on the link for Big Jims motor forum.....I wouldn't recomend asking him too many anoying entry level questions, but theirs an abundance of material on his forum....use the search function and learn.....it's the most high tech forum for electric motors

AE Basher 07-03-2004 09:32 AM

you shouldn't try to wrap your own arm but you should try to change the turn. just unsolder the wires and unwrapm it. also if you have a fast well wraped motor and you don't want to get a new one once it is used up you can unsolder the wires and install a new comn, my dad and i are working to find a place to buy the comns. once we get the comn it should be very easy to take off the old one, we even have the perfect motor to rey it on my old worn-out 14 turn.

you can probally tell that i am very exited and happy about this.

kuanseng1981 07-03-2004 09:54 AM

Winding Motor

A piece of advice, if u are doing it for the sake of expermint pls carry on cause i have tried winding a few motor for racing and i find it a waste of time cause it take me a week or more to wind 1 and further more u need to balance the motor.
The time taken is not worth the price that u pay for a new armture.
U be better off buying a new 1 instead.
When i'm free i will try to post the pictures of my armture, so in the mind time try to do it yourself.
I must said that it is fun when u finish winding the armture and listening to it scream when u run in the motor.

kufman 07-03-2004 11:25 AM

Here are the the I found while winding motors.

Make sure all the poles have the same number of turns

Make sure you glue and balance the windings before you run the motor

When you go to solder the wire on the comm tabs, be sure to remove the varnish on that little part of the wire. scrapping the ede of a hobby knife across the varnish usually works. Sand paper may work too.

make sure you don't make the windings too big so that they rub on the bottom of the can.

keep and consisitant widing direction

neatly packed turns will yield a better motor since you will use less wire and the turns will be as close as possible to the iron.

If I think of more, I will post them later.

Neil Rabara 07-03-2004 12:14 PM

Good luck winding your motors. I hope you get out of it what you put into it.

AE Basher 07-03-2004 01:05 PM

when i try winding my own arms how do i balence the arm?

kufman 07-03-2004 03:11 PM

That is the hard part. I guessed using a roll test. The real way to do it is with a dynamic spin testor of some kind. I don't really know how that works. Needless to say, my motors were not that well balanced.

AE Basher 07-03-2004 05:51 PM

did they blow-up in your face because of it?

fatdoggy 07-03-2004 06:51 PM

Originally posted by AE Basher
also if you have a fast well wraped motor and you don't want to get a new one once it is used up you can unsolder the wires and install a new comn, my dad and i are working to find a place to buy the comns. once we get the comn it should be very easy to take off the old one, we even have the perfect motor to rey it on my old worn-out 14 turn.

you can probally tell that i am very exited and happy about this.

What you are saying is dam near impossible...

RC Paperboy 07-03-2004 08:29 PM

I wound a 7 turn onto a P2K2 arm that had run out of comm one day. It took me about half an hour, and I completely screwed it up, I got solder on teh comm, the whole nine yards. But the arm was destined for the garbage anyway so its not a big deal.

That said the motor sounded like crap when I hooked it up to a 4 cell pack. So I put it in my 1/12 and ran it back and forth in the basement just so I could say it ran. Now it sits on the workbench as a momento.

Dont bother trying to make your own motors, it was a real pain in the arse. And I didnt even care if it ran when I did it. Theres a reason they cost so much.

AE Basher 07-03-2004 09:28 PM

Originally posted by fatdoggy
What you are saying is dam near impossible...
not really just unsolder slid it off [might take the use of a bench vise] and slid a new one on [might also use a vise]

fatdoggy 07-04-2004 12:18 AM

Originally posted by AE Basher
not really just unsolder slid it off [might take the use of a bench vise] and slid a new one on [might also use a vise]
I've killed quite a few stock arms and have pulled them all appart, the comm's were on extremely tight and in most cases stuck to the stacks and the shaft(none of them just slid off). There is no way you'll have the wraps tight enough, they will fly appart, it's just a matter of time.