Wiki Posts
Search

"Challenge Formula One"

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default F104W tires on F103?

Does someone know if the F104W tires will fit on the F103.

I'm assuming that since the F104W use the F103 arms the rubber tires that comes with the F104W will fit on the F103... am I correct? help please?

What about the rear tires? would those rear rubber tires of the F104W be a direct fit for the F103?

Thanks! the price for those rubbers is not bad http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...uct-id=9408053
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Tech Champion

The front wheels and tires are F103 wheels/tires for the F104W. The rear is a monster tire compared to the F103. The F104, F103, and F104W all use the same size ID bearing in the front and the same sized hex hubs in the back so the wheels will fit...will they grip well is another question entirely.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by bencason
I see some Tamiya F104 cars listed as F104W.

From reading the listing on Tamiya's site, the front end seems to be from a F103 and is wider than the non-W F104s.

How does handling of this car compare with the standard F104/F104 Pro?

Are there other differences?
Handling...I don't know...I haven't built my F104W yet. The Lotus body is too pretty and I don't want to risk messing it up just yet As for difference...that's pretty much it.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

What is the part number for the F104W front uprights.... reading throuh the car specifications in towerhobbies it says that it comes with kingpins and spaces to adjust the ride height....

Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
The front wheels and tires are F103 wheels/tires for the F104W. The rear is a monster tire compared to the F103. The F104, F103, and F104W all use the same size ID bearing in the front and the same sized hex hubs in the back so the wheels will fit...will they grip well is another question entirely.

Thanks for the info... I'm new to F1 and right now my car is on foams, so trying to switch to rubbers... when you said all use the same hex at the rear, can you use the F104 wheels/Rubber tires on the F103 and get a good handling... or is better don't even try that and find rubber tires made specifically for the F103

See, you can tell I'm new to the F1 scene...!
Old 10-22-2010, 05:18 PM
Tech Adept

InspGadgt, I agree that Lotus 79 body is beautiful! That is one of my all-time favorite F1 cars and has been judged by many as the best looking ever! They didn't call it "Black Beauty" for nothing!

Tamiya seems to have done an excellent job on the body, just wish they could have come up with a more discreet front bumper, the one they give you is ugly and spoils the looks of the car. They should have done the front wings the same way they do on their other F1 cars and made them of a sturdy molded plastic, then they wouldn't need that ugly front bumper.

Also, I found a place online to get the JPS decals for the 1/10 Tamiya Lotus 79 so that you can complete the look, as the car comes without them.

Please post some pics when you finish the car!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

I totally agree with you about the bumper...I'm planning on trimming it to closer match the profile of the car so it will be less ugly but will see once I build it.

As for the scheme...I'm probably not going to paint this one in black. I race this car in iRacing and had a custom paint job done for my car there that I really like so I will probably end up with at least 2 of the bodies...one in black with JPS and one in my custom paint scheme.

The FW31 comes out in iRacing in just over a week! I can't wait to get behind the wheel of that. I'm going to need to see if my previous painter is still working so I can get that in a matching scheme.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by RC-ProSpeed
Thanks for the info... I'm new to F1 and right now my car is on foams, so trying to switch to rubbers... when you said all use the same hex at the rear, can you use the F104 wheels/Rubber tires on the F103 and get a good handling... or is better don't even try that and find rubber tires made specifically for the F103

See, you can tell I'm new to the F1 scene...!
You can...However the wheel off-set in the rear wheel is different with the F104 wheels so if you don't convert the front end suspension to F104 you end up with a car that has the rear more narrow than the front. Alternative you could probably space out the rear axle so it looks better but those will be some fairly thick spacers.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok F1 peeps, we have two strong groups For F1 racing. One on each coast and several growing pockets aroung the country with what seems to be more on the way.
Does anyone want to host the 3rd F1 Builders Cup? It's a lot of fun. Hyperdrive won the first one with HPI 2nd and MLP 3rd. The second one went to Alpha with Tamiya 2nd and the MLP team 3rd even after losing one car.If I'm not mistaken Duratrax and CRC was kicking some fast laps at the end.

I only mention this to make everyone aware (I hate that overused word) that if we are going to grow the people that make the products need to know there is a place for them to show their wares and a meeting place for all F1 cars and builders to show their stuff. I don't see why that could not go back and forth every year from the east to the west. Just a thought.

If you want to know how it works just ask. It's very simple.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mxrich
Ok F1 peeps, we have two strong groups For F1 racing. One on each coast and several growing pockets aroung the country with what seems to be more on the way.
Does anyone want to host the 3rd F1 Builders Cup? It's a lot of fun. Hyperdrive won the first one with HPI 2nd and MLP 3rd. The second one went to Alpha with Tamiya 2nd and the MLP team 3rd even after losing one car.If I'm not mistaken Duratrax and CRC was kicking some fast laps at the end.

I only mention this to make everyone aware (I hate that overused word) that if we are going to grow the people that make the products need to know there is a place for them to show their wares and a meeting place for all F1 cars and builders to show their stuff. I don't see why that could not go back and forth every year from the east to the west. Just a thought.

If you want to know how it works just ask. It's very simple.
I'm interested, Please tell us how it works.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Ok, how much $$$ you got...just kidding.

We did this a few years ago. It turned out to be a hoot for the drivers and everyone else.
F1 has a team of two cars and two drivers. Do the same thing with RC. Score them as a team (both cars count together for points) against the other teams. The rules, there were no rules other that it had to be each team ran the same brand of car and it had to be an F1 such as Tamiya or any of it's clones out there (Cross, 3-racing, tech-racing, Duratrax) or pancar style such as Corally, RCIndy, RCR etc. Any motor, any tire, anything to make the cars the best they could be. The fun part was after qualifying them they only had one shot to get it done. One main only, winners take all. It made for some killer racing along with the usual F1 classes for the masses which also ran on the same day.

As a side note, the first one we had told me that even though people say wings don't do much for F1's was proven very wrong. Those guys were going down the straits like carrier jets! One of the Hyperdrives was using a built 19T and was so fast he ripped the side airdams off the wing. That poor guy must have hit 5 walls before he got it stopped. It made a lot of noise. Also one of the HPI cars kept bending his wing back so far from the pressure it looked like it was going to scrape the carpet. Good fun. That's how you make hero's out of local guys.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

One more thing then I will quite bothering everyone. When you get a team together you will want to let the builder know who is repesenting them by phone, email, whatever. and with each team that enters. As an example I contacted HPI to let them know their cars were racing in the event. Even though they did not build the Super F1 anymore they were very happy to send Tshirts, banners, and other odds and ends for the drivers. Other companies did the same, Even Nikko sent two F1's for the race. Sadly though one of the cars was destroyed at a State race so I sent them to Alphacat so he could firm up the connection to the pod from the chassis. They may be ready to race by now. Even though they were low budget cars they did handle well and the remaining car did finish 3rd in the main. Not too shabby for a plastic car. If I remember it was Corally 1st then CRC, Nikko, Tamiya, then all the other stuff.

Marketing, that's what we need. Let them know we are here.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

We did this a few years ago. It turned out to be a hoot for the drivers and everyone else.
F1 has a team of two cars and two drivers. Do the same thing with RC. Score them as a team (both cars count together for points) against the other teams. The rules, there were no rules other that it had to be each team ran the same brand of car and it had to be an F1 such as Tamiya or any of it's clones out there (Cross, 3-racing, tech-racing, Duratrax) or pancar style such as Corally, RCIndy, RCR etc. Any motor, any tire, anything to make the cars the best they could be. The fun part was after qualifying them they only had one shot to get it done. One main only, winners take all. It made for some killer racing along with the usual F1 classes for the masses which also ran on the same day.

As a side note, the first one we had told me that even though people say wings don't do much for F1's was proven very wrong. Those guys were going down the straits like carrier jets! One of the Hyperdrives was using a built 19T and was so fast he ripped the side airdams off the wing. That poor guy must have hit 5 walls before he got it stopped. It made a lot of noise. Also one of the HPI cars kept bending his wing back so far from the pressure it looked like it was going to scrape the carpet. Good fun. That's how you make hero's out of local guys.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Ok now that sounds friggin awesome. But make it more fun and realistic so the drivers still get their individual points for finishing order for a "drivers championship" so even if you pair random drivers with the same car they can compete for the "manufacturers championship" as well. That way if you have a weak driver is randomly paired with a strong driver one is penalized by being scored together.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Champion

Has anyone found an aftermarket F104 style front suspension that isn't so bendy as the Tamiya one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.