R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #76
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Cool new site Rob!

I am debating a return, but really tired of the normal TC scene. This looks promising...
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Snoop,I watched all the vids of the F104 against all the Tamiya type F1's and they seemed to be about the same. The track was very fast though. Remember when we raced the carpet at nexus? The 3R was much better on the tight track than all the others by a huge margin. And remember this, you won the series race with a Duratrax with all the options on asphalt. That was a cool car with the right setup.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #78
Tech Elite

I would still like some opinions about the "other" F1's. RCIndy, Corally new and old versions, Alphas, CRC's Enforcers, HPI Super F1's and other pancar types that use the 1/10 wheels. No rubber for them I know but they do a great job on asphalt and carpet. We had them in their own class and people would many times run both. And the bodies fit.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #79
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrich View Post
I would still like some opinions about the "other" F1's. RCIndy, Corally new and old versions, Alphas, CRC's Enforcers, HPI Super F1's and other pancar types that use the 1/10 wheels. No rubber for them I know but they do a great job on asphalt and carpet. We had them in their own class and people would many times run both. And the bodies fit.
Since it's just an "opinion", RCIndy, Corally, MLP, and any other F1 car using 1/10 pan car foams SHOULD to be in their own class. Besides their advanced chassis, they enjoy a tire advantage.

I'm still waiting to see (buy?) what Enforcer RC has to offer in the F1 catagory.

Any car that fits the F103/104/F109/F10 "mold" (ie. dimensions) and uses the same tires should be allowed to compete against each other. I feel it is a matter of tire and suspension tuning that makes the greatest difference next to driver skill. The chassis and dimensions are all to close to seperate into different groups as long as the motor/speed control are kept consistent.
Jeff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:23 AM   #80
Tech Apprentice

Great Idea!!!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk2 16v-t View Post
Great Idea!!!
http://challengeformulaone.yolasite.com/
Old 10-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

whats everyones opinion on IRS for the F1's it seems that its only a matter of time before we get a chassis with IRS. i am workin on one now! the concept will probably never be legal in ROAR or the major sanctioning bodies but with this website becoming the "hub" for F1 maybe a new F1 sanctioning body could be created??? our local group (houston) have started a F1 class and we are running 17.5 turbo and having a blast! i say let F1 be likes its supposed to be, high tech and allowed to use all of the available technology! we mailnly run at Mikes in houston (held the 1/10 nitro worlds this year) and the track is huge, i have managed to get my F1 within a second of my TC and i have a very quick TC!
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:22 PM   #83
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
whats everyones opinion on IRS for the F1's it seems that its only a matter of time before we get a chassis with IRS. i am workin on one now!
Mantis, You do know that we need pictures of this thing?
Ofcourse IRS ...the real F1 have it, why not in RC?

/Johnny

Go 235mm with X10 widening parts from www.lajf.se Get your P28 at www.lajf.se/pshop
tudor_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #84
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
whats everyones opinion on IRS for the F1's it seems that its only a matter of time before we get a chassis with IRS. i am workin on one now! the concept will probably never be legal in ROAR or the major sanctioning bodies but with this website becoming the "hub" for F1 maybe a new F1 sanctioning body could be created??? our local group (houston) have started a F1 class and we are running 17.5 turbo and having a blast! i say let F1 be likes its supposed to be, high tech and allowed to use all of the available technology! we mailnly run at Mikes in houston (held the 1/10 nitro worlds this year) and the track is huge, i have managed to get my F1 within a second of my TC and i have a very quick TC!
I think it will be a question of .... if it is ever released, how much quicker is it really around the track. If its marginal or comparable to the current cars and chassis conversions currently out with T-bar and Link suspensions then it wont be an issue. If it seems to be much quicker then.......well i guess everyone will have to buy one? Or most tracks or race series will make it a separate class? Maybe with improved handling we can run 17.5 or 13.5 easily?
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Snoop-- I have a duratrax and would love to see it be competetive.
Any hints?setups? I already run 103 rear axle/diff/tires.

As to IRS-- yeah baby--
ft4 MT wallet
cyclone;xxx-s;x-rayT2;crc gen xl;bmi 12rrl
GasGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #86
Tech Adept

MantisWorxs, I agree totally with you about IRS on F1 cars and that F1 should be like full scale F1 using all the latest technology. ROAR stipulates that the F1 cars be direct drive and have a solid pan car rear axle. We at Enforcer RC are working on a direct drive IRS F1 car, but it will not have a solid rear axle. I have emailed ROAR about their archaic rules with regards to F1 and have been told they will possibly look into it; not holding my breath waiting If they(ROAR) persist in shackling F1 with these archaic rules then it will never evolve beyond the basic Tamiya t-bar or link type solid rear axle design that has been around for 20 years with only minor updates; there is only so much you can do with the design of the current rc F1 cars under these rules.

The problem is that most tracks and events want ROAR sanctioning and will therefore give in to their rules to get it. I don't no how to go about changing that!

On-road racing needs some new life injected into it, as it has lost a lot of popularity and I think it needs some fresh new designs and a move towards more scale realism. We at Enforcer RC want to prove to the world that there are other ways to have a light weight direct drive rc car than the same old, boring, tired solid rear axle pan car design. As I mentioned in previous posts we hope to have a prototype F1 IRS car ready to test by January 2011.

I open this up to everyone else out there; any thoughts?
Enforcerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:32 PM   #87
Tech Master

Quote:
MantisWorx, PM me info for the Track where you race,we'll post it on the website.

http://challengeformulaone.yolasite.com/
Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #88
Tech Adept

It's good to see opinions but do you have the numbers to break F1 into 3 plus classes, I doubt it. The strength of the class lies in relatively cheap, easy to set up, easily overpowered, cars.

We have
1) Traditional F1 straight rear axle, seems to be making a comeback as a class. I have a sorted F103 Tamiya

2) F1 with pan car tires, a move to speed the cars up but not universally approved of. (I have 3 Corallys)

3) A new IRS class?

It never fails to amaze me how quickly a class which is working, can be killed by changing the specs. Remember what happened to F1 class when Tamiya had the loopy idea they should be 4WD. The appeal is that they take more skill to drive.

Cheers
Peter
Pedro 51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #89
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I think that the whole ROAR sanctioning must be a region by region thing. I don't know any local tracks in So.Cal that would keep from running a class because ROAR doesn't approve or have it listed, maybe for ROAR sanctioned events, but for the local club races (which is what most people run) they are up for racing whatever class has enough people to run.

Most people seem to have given up on ROAR becoming a legitimate sanctioning body again. Especially when your membership gets you essentially nothing?

Nonetheless IRS wont necessarily create any class separation. Mostly because we are talking in theory (I haven't seen any pics of one yet). And as long as we are talking theory, what if they are significantly slower? I guess well have to wait and see
X-Ray X1 2016, 25.5 Motor, Hobbwing X10 Stock ESC
Ko Propo EX-1 V3
tunerjetta29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 05:18 PM   #90
Tech Adept

Pedro 51 you make some valid points, and yes, we need to consider whether there are enough F1 racers to support a new F1 class. I don't have an answer for that one!

What I am suggesting would be a car that would have all the attributes of the Tamiya, 3 Racing, HPI, Exotek, etc cars, except that there would be a simple independent rear suspension in place of the solid rear axle. The car would still be 2wd, it would still be direct drive with only a pinion and spur gear, it would likely still have a pan-type chassis; the main difference would be the rear axle/suspension which would be independent. I am not suggesting 2wd touring cars with F1 bodies in case anyone is concerned, but rather a narrow pan type chassis F1 car, not unlike the Tamiya, Exotek, etc, but with independent rear suspension. The car should handle great, have all the speed of the current pan-type F1 cars and be more scale realistic to a real F1 car. It would not be the boondogle that was the Tamiya F201. F1 cars should not be 4wd!!

I'm am working with Marty Peterson, who used to own MLP Motorsports, which Enforcer RC bought the rights to; so if any of you are familiar with Marty's designs, you will understand what I'm referring to.
Enforcerman is offline   Reply With Quote