R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MARSHALL View Post
Greg, What are your thought's as to how the F104W will perform compared to the regular F104?
It's interesting, you have the F104 with high downforce wings and bodies, but a narrower track than the F104W. Then you have the F104W with low downforce wings and bodies, but a wider track than the F104. Ok, that's just stating the obvious. IMO, I don't think the F104W will have that much of a performance advantage. I'm sure at the TCS races you'll see a good mix of both and depending upon the track layout one chassis might be better than the other. I don't think I could get myself to race F104W even if it does have the track width advantage. The new bodies are just to cool looking compared to the older body style F104W's.

I am glad to see for F1 they stuck with the silver can motor and I can get another year out of my QC3. I definitely plan to attend the local TCS races next year!
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Greg, What are your thought's as to how the F104W will perform compared to the regular F104?
I'm gonna defer to RobK 'cause he's got a bunch of 103/104 wide/narrow variants laying around. But just my gut feeling.....the W might be a hot ticket. Where the 103 was short and wide, it always had monster turn-in. Where the W is long and wide, it may just be a more settled and consistent car to drive. Two especially important characteristics for a rubber tired pan-car.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:41 PM   #63
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
It's interesting, you have the F104 with high downforce wings and bodies, but a narrower track than the F104W. Then you have the F104W with low downforce wings and bodies, but a wider track than the F104. Ok, that's just stating the obvious. IMO, I don't think the F104W will have that much of a performance advantage. I'm sure at the TCS races you'll see a good mix of both and depending upon the track layout one chassis might be better than the other. I don't think I could get myself to race F104W even if it does have the track width advantage. The new bodies are just to cool looking compared to the older body style F104W's.

I am glad to see for F1 they stuck with the silver can motor and I can get another year out of my QC3. I definitely plan to attend the local TCS races next year!
Apex,I agree with you on all but one point. I'd run the F014W. If this car has the winning edge i'd race it, but I prefer the newer body styles as well.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #64
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I'm gonna defer to RobK 'cause he's got a bunch of 103/104 wide/narrow variants laying around. But just my gut feeling.....the W might be a hot ticket. Where the 103 was short and wide, it always had monster turn-in. Where the W is long and wide, it may just be a more settled and consistent car to drive. Two especially important characteristics for a rubber tired pan-car.
Indeed!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #65
Tech Rookie

the 2011 tcs rules look pretty much the same as last years rules. now all we need is the 2011 schedule
TCS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #66
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyger View Post
Well according to the description and what I've seen, it is chrome. It's a little pricey...$14.00 for a can...OUCH! But if it looks good when all is said and done, it's worth it...to me anyway.

PS-48 Metallic Silver (Chrome) - 100ml Spray Can #86048
The Spazstix I have used is the airbrush on type and it looks chrome. I dont mean like shiny silver spray paint. Its chrome. Your wife can fix her lipstick in the reflection. On a bright sunny day it will blind you with the flash. I am not exaggerating. $14 a can is a bit more than I payed for some spray which I have not used yet. But if I wanted the best looking chrome I would not hesitate to pay it. But that was spaz stix.

Edit: I am sure this is a typo but check out the price for this can of Tamiya.
http://circlechobby.com/prodM/TAM86048.HTM

Last edited by snoopyrc; 10-18-2010 at 10:05 PM.
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #67
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopyrc View Post
The Spazstix I have used is the airbrush on type and it looks chrome. I dont mean like shiny silver spray paint. Its chrome. Your wife can fix her lipstick in the reflection. On a bright sunny day it will blind you with the flash. I am not exaggerating. $14 a can is a bit more than I payed for some spray which I have not used yet. But if I wanted the best looking chrome I would not hesitate to pay it. But that was spaz stix.

Edit: I am sure this is a typo but check out the price for this can of Tamiya.
http://circlechobby.com/prodM/TAM86048.HTM
Will this chrome flake off if the wind hits it like some do just sitting on the shelf?
Looking for real chrome that will survive racing conditions of a 1/2 way decent driver.
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 PM   #68
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe View Post
I really have to say go with the wide car. The wings on these cars are really vestigial at best. I would think that the width has a much greater effect than the wings will. Hell, I only run the F60 body because the front wing is the best F1 bumper available

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #69
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

the Spaz stuff is awesome i have used on the outside of bodies (mini-z) and on my new TC body. its like normal paint and will not flake off, if you want to tone it down spray black on it after you spray the chrome (lexan) opposite with hardbodies.

its a bad angle but i have it on the roof and wing with black undercoat
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:54 PM   #70
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantisWorx View Post
the Spaz stuff is awesome i have used on the outside of bodies (mini-z) and on my new TC body. its like normal paint and will not flake off, if you want to tone it down spray black on it after you spray the chrome (lexan) opposite with hardbodies.

its a bad angle but i have it on the roof and wing with black undercoat
Awesome! Thanks for the Tips.
Is it airbrush or rattlecan or both?
Is it the best paint for Mini-z?
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 AM   #71
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Very nice and good chrome for airbrushing is RCS Chrome http://www.rcsgraphicworx.com/shop_paint_rcs_chrome.htm
I can only recommend it (I find it a bit better than Spaz Stix)
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:04 AM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the Tips.
Is it airbrush or rattlecan or both?
Is it the best paint for Mini-z?
im a rattlecan hero!!
its really good for miniz but its a very detailed process on external painting because it looks best without the special clearcoat but it will get dull over time if handled alot, here is a mini z F1 that i used it on:

http://www.mantisworx.com/wp-content...5/DSCN2211.jpg

Last edited by MantisWorx; 10-19-2010 at 06:05 AM. Reason: pix
MantisWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #73
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
Very nice and good chrome for airbrushing is RCS Chrome http://www.rcsgraphicworx.com/shop_paint_rcs_chrome.htm
I can only recommend it (I find it a bit better than Spaz Stix)
I was totally happy with the Spaz stix but now you have my attention. I want to go try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Ko View Post
Will this chrome flake off if the wind hits it like some do just sitting on the shelf?
Looking for real chrome that will survive racing conditions of a 1/2 way decent driver.
I cant really help you there since I am only 1/4 decent driver. LOL!!!!! Nah man I think it should hold up as well as anything else you can put on there. I would back it with Silver or black. I like black, but some say silver makes it brighter. I think you get better reflection from black backing.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #74
Tech Master

http://challengeformulaone.yolasite.com/
Old 10-19-2010, 07:29 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Who has both the 3R F109 and the Tam F104? Which one do you love more. That 3R looks like a bargain in a car.