R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #286
Tech Adept

the concurs winning car, all paint, no decals...but what about AARP and a flying woman?
Attached Thumbnails
"Challenge Formula One"-concurs-winner-frederick-tcs.jpg  
F1Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #287
Tech Adept

Julian C's F1 foam winning car
Attached Thumbnails
"Challenge Formula One"-julian-foam-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-front-end-foam-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-foam-winner-s-car-scale.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-top-view-foam-winners-car.jpg  

Last edited by F1Jet; 03-15-2011 at 11:54 PM. Reason: add more photos
Old 03-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #288
Tech Adept

Jamie and his rubber F1-winning car on the stand, JC's white and tartan Stewart is also in the photo
Attached Thumbnails
"Challenge Formula One"-jamie-rubber-f104-winner.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-rear-rubber-tcs-winner.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-side-view-rubber-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-front-end-rubber-winners-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-blue-winners-car.jpg  

Last edited by F1Jet; 03-15-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: add more photos
Old 03-15-2011, 10:48 PM   #289
Tech Adept

other images from the event:
Todd M. working on an F104 to make it competitive (many thanks!)
BH's fast F1 car
the trimuvirate (AK, JC, & SB) is all smiles after the competition is over!
SH's fast F1 car takes a cool down lap - note the fan!
SB won the b-main with this car, oh so slow it was...
Attached Thumbnails
"Challenge Formula One"-todd-m-working-f104-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-bh-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-trivumvirate.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-cooling-down-lap.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-b-main-winners-car.jpg  

Last edited by F1Jet; 03-16-2011 at 12:02 AM. Reason: add more photos
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #290
Tech Adept

a few more f104 related photos;

Black and white body with traction compound applied and ready to rip

Carlton's C. cars were on pace and he's adjusting for more speed.

Tire warmers going on, on-track action about to heat up.

A neat pit area - and the driver put this car in the A-main!

The Coliseum track, smooth, fast, and deceptive! Thanks to Rob for adding the color touches.
Attached Thumbnails
"Challenge Formula One"-another-f104.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-carlton-working-f1s.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-tire-warmers-going-.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-very-neat-pits-amain-car.jpg   "Challenge Formula One"-straight-line-chicane.jpg  

Last edited by F1Jet; 03-16-2011 at 12:11 AM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 AM   #291
Tech Adept

setup moves for discussion - these are a few of the racing tuning developments. Let us know what you think so we before we post these on the F1Challenge website:

Superglue was in use:

A tiny bead of superglue around the outer edge of the front tire makes turn in smoother. Look for the shiny bead in many of the car photos.

Wider bands of superglue on the front tires cured oversteer, especially for developing drivers that were having trouble getting their cars to understeer.

Superglue on foam sidewalls was applied to end flipping. Start with the front and then do the rear tire sidewalls if necessary. Use a superglue that is suitable for foam! This may also work for rubber tires.

Note the winners car has a carefully applied band of superglue on the inside sidewalls. This band goes from the wheel about half-way up the sidewall.

Some cars didn't run the side doors: that makes it easy to slip in a 5200 milliamp battery!

Some cars ran faster without center springs than with them.

Some cars ran motor fans. But it was noted by a driver that a damaged fan can draw extra current and reduce motor power and drastically affect performance!

Some car ran low profile servos - this was all the rage. Flipping the servo straightened the steering arms and reduced bump steer - look closely at the photos for examples. This opened discussions about how powerful a servo needed to be to hold the car on line and not strip in a regular accident. Has anybody used a servo with a 2.5 kg rating or less without stripping? Servos that can hold 3 kg were more than sufficient.

Tiny tekin b5 speed controllers were seen in use and none burned up. Some cars added a capacitor to the receiver to ensure adequate voltage under big loads.

Motors were pulled and checked throughout the event. Make sure your TCS car is wired for easy removal and reinstallation of the motor.

Most cars ran the original black T-plate as the track is so smooth. A few cars ran the option t-bars.

Many cars ran better HEAVIER than lighter. Big batteries, steel axles, and heavy anodized metal parts were on some of the fastest cars instead of just fantasic plastic. Check the photos - but beware the black anodized cars are also out there and look like plastic ones!

the blue anodized front-end camber adjustment was in use in many cars...but not the rubber car winner. Check the photo - it had the original black plastic piece.

The carbon lower deck and the composite plastic rubber deck were in use as some drivers thought the carbon deck was simply too stiff. The rubber winners car was carbon, the foam winner's car was plastic.

Some cars were ready to run lightweight batteries but a strange rumor circulated that the mains were to be eight minutes, so everybody went for the larger powerpacks...

another rumor was that lightweight ceramic bearings were in use, as were titanium screws and titanium turnbuckels.

another rumor was a little drag brake made turn in much easier.

A number of cars assembled the front end kingpins in different manners than seen in the F104 manual. Some people did not use the set screw, others did. Some cars adjusted the position of the set screw to add preload to the front end. Check out the photos - some cars have the kit black spacers, others have the Tamiya blue and silver spacers.

a tire truer was in use in the pits, and some foam tires were trimmed, but it was also used to rough up rubber tires. Some cars did NOT use traction compound as the track was so sticky.

finally, both of the winners ran the lightweight racing body/front wing/and rear wing. The regular F60 body is heavier. The lightweight F60 body can be built without the sidepods, making it even lighter.

holler back about what you think about these developments...is anybody running a micro servo of 20 grams or less with metal gears?

Last edited by F1Jet; 03-16-2011 at 01:36 AM. Reason: syntax error
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 AM   #292
Tech Fanatic

Smile F1 FOR LIFE

Great work on the above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There is nothing to add but your driving skill. This is the most inportant part. You can not drive this like any other R/C porduct GOD BLESS THE MAN TODD MARSHALL
RDSquared, 5Nines, Ghetto racing, Webb Designes,Evil Monkey Motorsports,Old is good VTA ,Johns Moblie Racway,MRH racing,Old school.Also if you have a curfew or something else you should be doing ,don't make your problems MINE.And forget Terris famous cookies,
Ghetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #293
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (93%+)

+1 on using drag brake
+1 on using alum camber plate.

glade to see some one glue a tire to make understeer. Might have to try that one my self.
tcb22185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #294
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Love the rundown!! Excellent info!!

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM   #295
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Love the rundown!! Excellent info!!
+1
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:34 AM   #296
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Jet View Post
setup moves for discussion - these are a few of the racing tuning developments. Let us know what you think so we before we post these on the F1Challenge website:

Superglue was in use:

A tiny bead of superglue around the outer edge of the front tire makes turn in smoother. Look for the shiny bead in many of the car photos.

Wider bands of superglue on the front tires cured oversteer, especially for developing drivers that were having trouble getting their cars to understeer.

Superglue on foam sidewalls was applied to end flipping. Start with the front and then do the rear tire sidewalls if necessary. Use a superglue that is suitable for foam! This may also work for rubber tires.

Note the winners car has a carefully applied band of superglue on the inside sidewalls. This band goes from the wheel about half-way up the sidewall.

Some cars didn't run the side doors: that makes it easy to slip in a 5200 milliamp battery!

Some cars ran faster without center springs than with them.

Some cars ran motor fans. But it was noted by a driver that a damaged fan can draw extra current and reduce motor power and drastically affect performance!

Some car ran low profile servos - this was all the rage. Flipping the servo straightened the steering arms and reduced bump steer - look closely at the photos for examples. This opened discussions about how powerful a servo needed to be to hold the car on line and not strip in a regular accident. Has anybody used a servo with a 2.5 kg rating or less without stripping? Servos that can hold 3 kg were more than sufficient.

Tiny tekin b5 speed controllers were seen in use and none burned up. Some cars added a capacitor to the receiver to ensure adequate voltage under big loads.

Motors were pulled and checked throughout the event. Make sure your TCS car is wired for easy removal and reinstallation of the motor.

Most cars ran the original black T-plate as the track is so smooth. A few cars ran the option t-bars.

Many cars ran better HEAVIER than lighter. Big batteries, steel axles, and heavy anodized metal parts were on some of the fastest cars instead of just fantasic plastic. Check the photos - but beware the black anodized cars are also out there and look like plastic ones!

the blue anodized front-end camber adjustment was in use in many cars...but not the rubber car winner. Check the photo - it had the original black plastic piece.

The carbon lower deck and the composite plastic rubber deck were in use as some drivers thought the carbon deck was simply too stiff. The rubber winners car was carbon, the foam winner's car was plastic.

Some cars were ready to run lightweight batteries but a strange rumor circulated that the mains were to be eight minutes, so everybody went for the larger powerpacks...

another rumor was that lightweight ceramic bearings were in use, as were titanium screws and titanium turnbuckels.

another rumor was a little drag brake made turn in much easier.

A number of cars assembled the front end kingpins in different manners than seen in the F104 manual. Some people did not use the set screw, others did. Some cars adjusted the position of the set screw to add preload to the front end. Check out the photos - some cars have the kit black spacers, others have the Tamiya blue and silver spacers.

a tire truer was in use in the pits, and some foam tires were trimmed, but it was also used to rough up rubber tires. Some cars did NOT use traction compound as the track was so sticky.

finally, both of the winners ran the lightweight racing body/front wing/and rear wing. The regular F60 body is heavier. The lightweight F60 body can be built without the sidepods, making it even lighter.

holler back about what you think about these developments...is anybody running a micro servo of 20 grams or less with metal gears?
Very well said F1Jet. What a race!

Well after saying up all Saturday night rebuilding my car and the infamous Tom Baffer Jr's. car, quite frankly I was out of it as far as racing goes. Big Up to the Five Hour Energy Drink folks...Couldnít have done it without you .

I was one of the guys planning to race using 1800mah lipo. After hearing the buzz in the pits that the F1 mains would be eight minute long I opted to go with a bigger battery.

As it turned out, running eight minute mains were only a rumor. Unfortunately for me I didnít find this out till Sunday morning.

Nevertheless I still had a lot of fun racing and hanging out with my friends; old and new. It seems F1 is back to stay.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 AM   #297
Tech Apprentice

Default Caster

@RobK,
Great feedback on the the caster. I am going to try some shims on the "camber block". Your idea presents another way to solve this problem until the hop up comes out.

@F1JET

The most interesting thing about the Fredrick TCS was the parity. Yes, Jamie was on his Nitrous, but even with the race incidents (There were no hack moves in the A main, just racing incidents), the top 1/2 of the field all had a podium shot.

And another piece of info. I was the only runner who used the same car in F1 Foam and Rubber. Gearing and ride height had to be sacrificed ( the front wing was rubbing under deceleration). It was a hard Spin Out Special to drive, but it was informative using the same chassis with different shoes.
J

Last edited by jujubean; 03-17-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
jujubean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #298
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujubean View Post
@RobK,
Great feedback on the the caster. I am going to try some shims on the "camber block". Your idea presents another way to solve this problem until the hop up comes out.

@F1JET

The most interesting thing about the Fredrick TCS was the parity. Yes, Jamie was on his Nitrous, but even with the race incidents (There were no hack moves in the A main, just racing incidents), the top 1/2 of the field all had a podium shot.

And another piece of info. I was the only runner who used the same car in F1 Foam and Rubber. Gearing and ride height had to be sacrificed ( the front wing was rubbing under deceleration). It was a hard Spin Out Special to drive, but it was informative using the same chassis with different shoes.
J

I think your foam tires were loaned to you, but did you know what type they were? And what about the caster adjustment process? A lot of people would like to know how to adjust the caster in a systematic and reversible manner so they can tune with it.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:19 PM   #299
Tech Adept

The battery thing was quite interesting - Jamie had the massive 5200 mAh battery in the car and most cars were running 3800 packs. JC did the rubber A main, marshalled the next race, and then the foam A main on the same 4000 mAh battery. We changed his tires for him, it is loco these batteries have so much power in them.

Anyway, I think a 2200 pack would give much more reserve, but who has a hard shell cased 2200? And does anybody know of such a battery with a ROAR-approval label?
Old 03-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #300
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Jet View Post
I think your foam tires were loaned to you, but did you know what type they were?......
Yes they were loaned ( as I forgot mine) and they were kit foams.
jujubean is offline   Reply With Quote