Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Challenge Formula One"

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

Default new challengers!

Jamie picked up where Steve H. left off last week and set TQ in his blood-red Ferrari that lead the first laps of the A-main until mayhem broke out!

Denmark brought his hard-charging F104 through to take the win but it wasn't easy, with the deceptively tricky track ensnaring just about everybody at one point or another.

Thanks to Denmark and others for helping AlesiF1 out with some vital tips. We will find the pace!
Old 02-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Default Wow!

Originally Posted by F1Jet
Jamie picked up where Steve H. left off last week and set TQ in his blood-red Ferrari that lead the first laps of the A-main until mayhem broke out!

Denmark brought his hard-charging F104 through to take the win but it wasn't easy, with the deceptively tricky track ensnaring just about everybody at one point or another.

Thanks to Denmark and others for helping AlesiF1 out with some vital tips. We will find the pace!
Looks like it's heating up!
Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default HOT LIKE FIYA!

Yup. The heat is one. people are coming out and other are about to hit the track.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by jujubean
Racers,
let's go old school. We now have enough body sets on the way to do do a retro grand prix. http://tamiyablog.com/wp-content/upl...g-2011-010.jpg I hope we get the Tyrell 019 next...
The Williams FW14 would be nice as well. However, I would love it if they did a March 761 Ronnie Peterson version.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Driving Dave's F1 really makes me want to get one of my own. I just have too much stuff already...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
Driving Dave's F1 really makes me want to get one of my own. I just have too much stuff already...

Jamie,Give me a call buddy.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

I gotta question: How do you guys build your expensive F104 rubber tires?

We all know the rubbers don't fit snuggly on the rims. It doesn't matter which way you slip the tire over the foam insert, the result is one edge is not flush on the rim.

Most people simply wrap the tire with a lot of rubber bands to compress the tire onto the rim and then superglue.

That works, but to me that is still a hit or miss proposition - you don't know if the tire is perfectly mounted until you remove the rubber bands and spin it up the first time. I know all you guys dread that moment - will the tire spin true or start wobbling?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F1Jet
I gotta question: How do you guys build your expensive F104 rubber tires?

We all know the rubbers don't fit snuggly on the rims. It doesn't matter which way you slip the tire over the foam insert, the result is one edge is not flush on the rim.

Most people simply wrap the tire with a lot of rubber bands to compress the tire onto the rim and then superglue.

That works, but to me that is still a hit or miss proposition - you don't know if the tire is perfectly mounted until you remove the rubber bands and spin it up the first time. I know all you guys dread that moment - will the tire spin true or start wobbling?
Use electric tape. 3M Super 33 is the best. You can make the tension exactly what it needs to be, and it's wide so it spreads the pressure.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by robk
Use electric tape. 3M Super 33 is the best. You can make the tension exactly what it needs to be, and it's wide so it spreads the pressure.
that is an interesting thought. I will try that. Sounds like a great way to apply pressure. I find that rubber bands go bad after a while anyway.

SO what about the wheel? Do you scrap away the paint first?

And Does anybody know the real reason why Tamiya TCS rules state you cannot enlarge the wheel hole? That has always been one of those strange esoteric rules.

I have heard rumors that opening up the hole makes the tire softer, but to me it just sounds like a way to unbalance the tire.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You're venting the tire, and this can control the amount of heat in the tire
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I noticed that the site is mostly F104. Are you guys going to be posting any info onthe HPI car when you come across it?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Kregger
I noticed that the site is mostly F104. Are you guys going to be posting any info onthe HPI car when you come across it?
feel free to discuss it. If your F10 is challenging for the win, we want to hear about it.

First, the upgrade option rear differential is an amazing piece of kit. I don't know if it is the machining or the tolerances or the design or the balls or the spur gear or the metal axle the unit is attached to or whatever, but the smoothness of this unit is unmatched. Even with the rear diff locked, a simply twirl of the rear wheel spins down much slower than the F104 unit. The drag in the F104 diff is just at a higher level. It is not cheap, but HPI got that part right.

Next, the rubber tires are very different than f104 rubber tires. F104 tires are relatively scale looking ties with sharp corners and a flat profile across the carcass while the HPI's have a rounded carcass and a very sticky compound. They sort of look like cap tires. It is much easier to maintain a consistent contact patch with the rounded tire than the huge flat area of the 104 tire.

What do you like about the F10? The car generates a lot of comments, both high and low. To me, it's a good thing to have different cars on the track. But that's just my opinion, and as said, the F10 generates lots of commentary.

Last edited by F1Jet; 02-11-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: correction to spelling
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM
Tech Adept

Default F104 weigh-in

Here's a question: most guys say the F10 weighed too much to be competitive. So what is weight of your F104 with everything? (transponder, body, battery, etc?) Last week my F104 pro with a heavy Ferrari body weighed in at 1042 grams without a transponder. Another competitor had a regular F104 with a sport body and metal rear axle at 960 grams. Are we in the ballpark on weight or do we need to put the cars on a diet? What the lightest racing F104 car out there?
Old 02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Tech Elite

Dang! I put the feelers out today for those that want to run the F1 series this year ( we took a year off). I already have 17 people wanting to jump in. I hope most of them were sober when they responded.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Where can I get the thin double sided tape for the wheels other than Tamiya. Somebody in the states other than Tamiya? Any ideas like ace or some other store?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.