R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Serpent S100 or Xray X10??

Trying to decide between the xray and serpent 1/10 pan cars. Leaning more towards the serpent but was wondering about parts availability in North America. Serpent has been around for ages so I am assuming parts are readily available.
Thanks for any input to help me decide
Schumacher Mi4cx CRC Gen-X 10 LE
BrodieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
Trying to decide between the xray and serpent 1/10 pan cars. Leaning more towards the serpent but was wondering about parts availability in North America. Serpent has been around for ages so I am assuming parts are readily available.
Comparing front ends, I like how the serpent uses a 1.5mm hex wrench to adjust droop compared to fumbling around with small washers.

Parts are available from amain, stormer.
defcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcone View Post
Parts are available from amain, stormer.
Currently, just about nobody in the US has S100 parts. For example, nobody (including SerpentAmerica.com) has the S100 specific steering knuckles, front axles, etc. In fact, SerpentAmerica currently doesn't even list the S100 anywhere on their web site, let alone parts. Luckily, a lot of the parts carry over from the S120L, but the steering knuckles and front axles would be a problem if you needed any right now.

That said, the car is very nice. There are several running at the Gate. It helps to have one of the designers running it at your home track.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:25 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

TOP Rebel 10
Assoc. F6 (Cuz we run them with RUBBER TIRES!)
Mr. Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Most parts for the S100 are or will be in the next day or 2 from Stormer and Amain. They both had a shipment of parts go out last week including steering blocks and king pins.

The website for Serpentamerica will be updated shortly to include the S100 and parts. We do have Steering blocks in stock as well as king pins.

If you have any questions or need some help finding parts from dealers please email me [email protected].
Old 10-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Tech Adept

I'm having the same dilemma to choose between those 2 cars.
Not concerned about parts, because in my part of the world, I have to order everything via the internet.
My questions are more from the practical and performance point of view.
Both Xray and Serpent are companies with quality products.

- Which car allows you to take off the rear wheels without readjusting the diff?
- Possibility to increase the width to 235mm?
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 PM   #7
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-E View Post
Which car allows you to take off the rear wheels without readjusting the diff?
Both.

Quote:
Possibility to increase the width to 235mm?
Neither.

A CRC GenX10 has a 235mm conversion kit. I believe that BMI is making one as well.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you race a variety of tracks there are alot of different stups on XRays website. It is tough to find a starting Serpent setup for a lower grip carpet or small technical track. Most of the pros are also running a dfifferent chassis on it as well which will run you another $100. I looked at both and decided to stay with my 2 year old CRC, it works, I have all the parts and there are at ton of factory guys around to help. Take into consideration that you can buy a complete CRC front end for the price of one set of Serpent caster blocks. I myself hate running the bellybutton car but it does work and there is a reason everyone has one.

Being from Ontario you are probably aware of the shipping you will be paying for parts support over the border. I used to call my Team Magic E4 my $28 car as that was what it would cost for postage for any part I needed. If Serpent gets a Canadian distributor there would be a lot less pain with their cars.

Neil Armstrong 1968

Last edited by Cammer; 10-09-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I'm having the same dilemma to choose between those 2 cars.
Not concerned about parts, because in my part of the world, I have to order everything via the internet.
My questions are more from the practical and performance point of view.
Both Xray and Serpent are companies with quality products.

- Which car allows you to take off the rear wheels without readjusting the diff?
- Possibility to increase the width to 235mm?
VIP PERFORMANCE S100 235mm Conversion

New from VIP Performance is the first in a new line of products specifically for the pan car market, this S100 235mm conversion set. Converting the standard 200mm World GT car to the wider format, the kit includes a 3mm carbon front plate that enables the front track width to be mounted wider. The other changes are at the rear of the car and include a lightweight wheel hub and wheel hub spaces as well as a D-Drive graphite axle to complete the conversion.
Include:

3mm carbon front plate
lightweight wheel hub
lightweight wheel hub spacer
D-Drive graphite axle

VIP-EX001 - 99.-

Have seen this advertised for 80 euros
blackbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
Tech Adept

Tx for the info guys!

Haven't got any pan car yet and I'm narrowing down the alternatives.
Living in the United Arab Emirates, the track is always dusty (outside), thus low grip.

With several friends we are about to order the WGT first and might grow to the pro 10 size.
Mister-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:06 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammer View Post
If you race a variety of tracks there are alot of different stups on XRays website. It is tough to find a starting Serpent setup for a lower grip carpet or small technical track. Most of the pros are also running a dfifferent chassis on it as well which will run you another $100. I looked at both and decided to stay with my 2 year old CRC, it works, I have all the parts and there are at ton of factory guys around to help. Take into consideration that you can buy a complete CRC front end for the price of one set of Serpent caster blocks. I myself hate running the bellybutton car but it does work and there is a reason everyone has one.

Being from Ontario you are probably aware of the shipping you will be paying for parts support over the border. I used to call my Team Magic E4 my $28 car as that was what it would cost for postage for any part I needed. If Serpent gets a Canadian distributor there would be a lot less pain with their cars.
Having seen these cars hit the tracks in the low grip conditions we race in here locally I would take the serpent as it seems to have the speed with similar skilled drivers. So far its proving to be the 2nd best car around.

Parts support is not a problem anywhere these days as you should really stock up on the bits that tend to break due to brain fade. When you get low on important bits just do another order from whatever source gives you the best deal. That said these little cars tend to be stronger than a TC.