What the best esc for Zero Timing Class >

What the best esc for Zero Timing Class

What the best esc for Zero Timing Class

Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What the best esc for Zero Timing Class

Hi guys

Was wondering what the best esc to use in zero timing as at out local the going to start running a heat for 13.5t
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Craig, so far I've run my Speed Passion Cirtix with no problems. I'm very very happy with it and the temps stay pretty low. Even against the faster Tekins, I can almost outpower them on the straights. For the price, mine's been great.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jhwnissan
Craig, so far I've run my Speed Passion Cirtix with no problems. I'm very very happy with it and the temps stay pretty low. Even against the faster Tekins, I can almost outpower them on the straights. For the price, mine's been great.

Thanks for that at the this time im running a losi xcelrin but its lacking top end

Been looking at Sp Cirtix spock spec and the Lrp Spx Zero
Old 10-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

If I'm not mistaken all speedos in the Non timing class are supposed to be equal. If they all dont have timing then speeds should be dictated by motor and gearing and nothing else.

PS. I won the Reedy race with a Losi speedo so its not that bad.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Craig W
Thanks for that at the this time im running a losi xcelrin but its lacking top end

Theoretically, changing speedos shouldn't make any difference in top end since they are all supposed to be zero timing. So you need to look at motor, gearing and motor timing to find more speed.

Now if this is true in practice or not, the jury is still out.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Craig W

The whole point of zero timing is that the esc's are supposed to behave the same (or similar). We are just destined to f**k ourselves if everyone is going to start working out which zero timing esc is "the fastest". No wonder so many touring classes are dead!

Sorry for the rant, just not looking forward to another 6 months of BS on the forums over why zeo timing isn't working because it's not "equal".
Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JR007
The whole point of zero timing is that the esc's are supposed to behave the same (or similar). We are just destined to f**k ourselves if everyone is going to start working out which zero timing esc is "the fastest". No wonder so many touring classes are dead!

Sorry for the rant, just not looking forward to another 6 months of BS on the forums over why zeo timing isn't working because it's not "equal".
AGREED!!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Tech Legend

No timing only means in order to be competitive in stock now , you will have to buy a custom stock motor & super C Lipo batteries....

No turbo ?
Only making a bad problem even worst.....
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The idea of zero timing is good, other then the fact the some esc's are better then others. But its always been that way hasn't it.

Btw cherry, weren't you just complaining that 17.5 with boost is just as fast as mod and needs to be slowed down.

Fact. Sp 2.0 pro with zero timing software is faster then SP stock spec zero timing esc
Old 10-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Regular

Default limited profile is a joke

limited profile is name only .Escs are not equal. The only check that seems to be done is if your Esc has a flashing light.
Not measuring of out put voltage etc. Escs can be tweaked to what ever you like , the main thing does it have a flashing Diode. If it does it must be legal having raced it in 17.5 believe me its not equal.
To give you an example .I raced a BDiamond ,the best i could do was 41 laps, in practice i was loaned a tekin and improved by almost 1 sec a lap which related to 3 or 4 laps more. Went back to my BD and 41 laps again.If any one has an explanation i would love to hear it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Zero timing was another 'fad' pushed onto the average racer as a way to equalize racing when comparing speedies from one manufacturer to another. The only way to equalize it is having a singular company produce a spec racing zero timing speedo... and clubs or racing organizations adopt it for that intent. Imagine the political BS over THAT decision.

As long as there is user programmable software in an ESC... zero timing will not be zero timing... based on a true reference of 'Zero' (a benchmark) from one manufacturer to another. Do brushless motors have standardized 'zero timing' from one company to another? And thats hardware. If people would just realize that advanced speed control timing has a limit, and learn to use it, then classes wouldnt die. People wouldnt be buying into fads, they would be buying into a sport.

You say you dont want to worry about a laptop and how to program your speedo or learning suspension design and how to properly set a car up for faster laps? We have a class for you. You run with everyone else that doesnt really want to put effort into learning how to do anything. Its called... RTR. You get what you pay for, and your return on your investment is as equal.

NOW. For those that want to race. Lets RACE. Lets push the envelope every weekend, and go home 'happy' with our 5th place in the A main. Why? Because we care to know what we can do to go that much faster... and realize that the majority of that improvement is to the nut behind the transmitter. NOT the speedo. NOT the motor. NOT any other reason one could think of to pass off why one would suck on any given race day.

I can type this, and say i live this. I have had a bad month of racing. There is a backstory here, but i will just describe the straw that broke the camels back. --- Last week i built a 'new' car for raceday. In practice the car was REALLY loose, and i broke an A arm with the first pack in it. I barely made the first qually... but got it together in time to break it AGAIN in less than 4 minutes. In my frustration i chucked the car 20+ feet into a cinderblock wall. I picked it up and did it AGAIN. Still not satisfied i had stomped my feet enough and exerted my anger on this inanimate object, i punted it another 20+ feet.

Whats the point? Im assembling another car as i type this. Why? My car is in pieces because of me. It wasnt the cars fault. Heck, it wasnt my zero timing speedo either. I run boosted speedos. Just realize that you WILL have bad days. You WILL have days that you just plain suck. If you want to RACE... that WILL happen. 2nd place is first loser. How bad do you wanna win?

/rant
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
No timing only means in order to be competitive in stock now , you will have to buy a custom stock motor & super C Lipo batteries....

No turbo ?
Only making a bad problem even worst.....
If I remember correctly the individual that won the touring car stock class at IIC was using 25C lipo batteries. Not sure if turbo/boost was used or not.

Chi
Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DaveW
Zero timing was another 'fad' pushed onto the average racer as a way to equalize racing when comparing speedies from one manufacturer to another. The only way to equalize it is having a singular company produce a spec racing zero timing speedo... and clubs or racing organizations adopt it for that intent. Imagine the political BS over THAT decision.

As long as there is user programmable software in an ESC... zero timing will not be zero timing... based on a true reference of 'Zero' (a benchmark) from one manufacturer to another. Do brushless motors have standardized 'zero timing' from one company to another? And thats hardware. If people would just realize that advanced speed control timing has a limit, and learn to use it, then classes wouldnt die. People wouldnt be buying into fads, they would be buying into a sport.

You say you dont want to worry about a laptop and how to program your speedo or learning suspension design and how to properly set a car up for faster laps? We have a class for you. You run with everyone else that doesnt really want to put effort into learning how to do anything. Its called... RTR. You get what you pay for, and your return on your investment is as equal.

NOW. For those that want to race. Lets RACE. Lets push the envelope every weekend, and go home 'happy' with our 5th place in the A main. Why? Because we care to know what we can do to go that much faster... and realize that the majority of that improvement is to the nut behind the transmitter. NOT the speedo. NOT the motor. NOT any other reason one could think of to pass off why one would suck on any given race day.

I can type this, and say i live this. I have had a bad month of racing. There is a backstory here, but i will just describe the straw that broke the camels back. --- Last week i built a 'new' car for raceday. In practice the car was REALLY loose, and i broke an A arm with the first pack in it. I barely made the first qually... but got it together in time to break it AGAIN in less than 4 minutes. In my frustration i chucked the car 20+ feet into a cinderblock wall. I picked it up and did it AGAIN. Still not satisfied i had stomped my feet enough and exerted my anger on this inanimate object, i punted it another 20+ feet.

Whats the point? Im assembling another car as i type this. Why? My car is in pieces because of me. It wasnt the cars fault. Heck, it wasnt my zero timing speedo either. I run boosted speedos. Just realize that you WILL have bad days. You WILL have days that you just plain suck. If you want to RACE... that WILL happen. 2nd place is first loser. How bad do you wanna win?

/rant

I dont think 0 timing is a "fad" it is here to stay i think , i was told by a very big guy in the hobby "If you want to go fast go Mod"

And i agree , why do we make 13.5 or 10.5s as quick at a mod motor , when we can just go buy a mod motor ??? .

All i have had all year is cooked motors and flat lipos , this isnt because i am stupid and cannot progam my speedo it is just because i want to be as fast as i can , this is racing after all .

I will be racing 0 timing stock now unless i suddenly learn to drive a silly powerfull motor

This was not a dig at you personally just an counter rant
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

The "zero" timing is a misnomer. It should be "No Dynamic" timing or fixed timing mod. I like the adjustablity of the Tekin. I can adjust drag brake etc but that does not affect the timing.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Company Representative

This industry needs an event in which newcomers---not the experienced racers who post here on RCTech---can get involved in R/C without spending a lot of money on complex, racing electronics.

Whether this event is the "non-timing" ROAR Sportsman division, or something else, is yet to be determined. I have always been a vocal supporter of an entry-level division that does not allow any advanced timing, or PC programmable, escs---even ones made by Novak.

We offer a comprehensive program that allows new racers to upgrade to more competitive products as their skill and experience improve. No newcomer should have to purchase a 200.00 esc to get started and be competitive.

Also, why would long-time racers even want to compete against these newbies in Sportsman?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.