R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-29-2004, 11:03 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic
 
etzkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 790
Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default 19 Turn Thread

Well I haven't seen one yet, but if there is a 19 Turn thread, let me know. Here would be the place to discuss 19 Turn motors and racing.

I got a few questions. First, with the Reedy Quad Mag's, what have you guys found to work out the best in terms of springs and brushes? Also, what do you guys think of the new UltraBird?

-Kevin
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I haven't done this in a while so bare with me!
The Reedy quad seems to like more spring tension, either by bending the stock springs to 180 degrees or using stiffer springs from another brand. Some have tried stiffer on the positive than the negative using 767 on the + and 766 on the - side. I think stiffer on both work the best for me. Last but not least, modifying the face of the brush itself has made a difference also. For example, drilling a hole in the center, serrating the brush after a couple of runs. reducing the surface on the trailing edge,which in turn advances the timing and then there is the Barry Baker trick of serrating a plus on positive side and minus on the negative side. I think he called it polarized brushes.
All these things can help depending on whether you need torque or rpm's. I'm also assuming that the brushes are aligned properly and the endplay is correct and the comm has been trued.
I hope this helps you in your endevore for the need for speed!
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 01:41 AM   #3
Tech Elite
 
fatdoggy's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: MD USA
Posts: 3,642
Default

The baker/blackstock polarity brush setup for the quad-mag, used 766's with copperhead springs bent to 180*.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:33 AM   #4
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I didn't have access to the copperhead springs but the modified stock springs seemed to work also, with the 766 brushes
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:50 AM   #5
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 126
Default Chameleon 2 Pro

Thanks for starting this thread.

Just received my two Chameleon 2 Pros. Tell me I didn't make a mistake with these motors. Did not apply a lot of thought when I had to choose between these and the Reedy 19T QMag.

I'm racing next weekend, TA04. Laptime with a Monster HP is 21.5 ave, while the current 19T guys are doing 21.3 ave. Can I assume I'll go significantly faster (duh-I know its an obvious answer, but just for kicks, lemme hear it from you guys)

Thanks
Punkynutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:38 AM   #6
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

It's not always about the motor. I was practicing with my 19 turn when one of my teammates came up from behind, so being the competitor that I am I hit the throttle pulled away in the straight and feeling pretty good until I got into the tight turns then sure enough he was right behind me again. After our batteries dropped off I went into the pits and told him I was holding him off for the most part of the run and he is a very good driver! So I felt pretty good, that is until he said he was using a Monster Stock Motor! Moral to this story is the motor won't make you any faster if you can't utilize the speed!
jst my 2$
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:24 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
RCsilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Redford Mi. Trying to keep up with Tim Stamper
Posts: 300
Default

Hey Kevin ,
See ya saturday ? GEAR UP !
Bob
RCsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic
 
etzkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 790
Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by maxepower
I haven't done this in a while so bare with me!
The Reedy quad seems to like more spring tension, either by bending the stock springs to 180 degrees or using stiffer springs from another brand. Some have tried stiffer on the positive than the negative using 767 on the + and 766 on the - side. I think stiffer on both work the best for me. Last but not least, modifying the face of the brush itself has made a difference also. For example, drilling a hole in the center, serrating the brush after a couple of runs. reducing the surface on the trailing edge,which in turn advances the timing and then there is the Barry Baker trick of serrating a plus on positive side and minus on the negative side. I think he called it polarized brushes.
All these things can help depending on whether you need torque or rpm's. I'm also assuming that the brushes are aligned properly and the endplay is correct and the comm has been trued.
I hope this helps you in your endevore for the need for speed!
Yeah, I have heard some things about the Polarized brushes. It's a pretty cool trick. Tuning the springs to put out a harder tension also makes sense too, because of the "large style" comm (which naturally produces more RPM) in those Reedys.


Punkynutt, you did not make a mistake. Chameleon 2's are a great motor. That's actually what I just bought the other day!


Bob, yeah, you will see me saturday (most likely). I'm gonna have a new motor (Chameleon 2), so you better watch out! That Xray is going to be more DIALED!

-Kevin
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic
 
Chill Will's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 804
Default Re: Chameleon 2 Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Punkynutt
Thanks for starting this thread.

Just received my two Chameleon 2 Pros. Tell me I didn't make a mistake with these motors. Did not apply a lot of thought when I had to choose between these and the Reedy 19T QMag.

I'm racing next weekend, TA04. Laptime with a Monster HP is 21.5 ave, while the current 19T guys are doing 21.3 ave. Can I assume I'll go significantly faster (duh-I know its an obvious answer, but just for kicks, lemme hear it from you guys)

Thanks

The biggest mistake I have found running 19t is the gearing. Gear it higher than you gear the stock.
Chill Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:11 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic
 
etzkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 790
Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default Re: Re: Chameleon 2 Pro

Quote:
Originally posted by Chill Will
The biggest mistake I have found running 19t is the gearing. Gear it higher than you gear the stock.
Yeah, you can gear MUCH higher than stock!
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
Tech Regular
 
RCsilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Redford Mi. Trying to keep up with Tim Stamper
Posts: 300
Default

Hey Kev ,

Put July 18 on your calender , Lazer points race , you are coming with us ! I'm trying to get you out of Livonia to race with more racers , race with the fast guys and you will get faster , not that you aren't fast enough now ...........

Bob
I gear my Lizard 2 , 3 to 4 teeth higher than a monster depending on the layout , see ya sat for your whooppin .... lol
RCsilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:45 PM   #12
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Jose California
Posts: 1,251
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by maxepower
It's not always about the motor. I was practicing with my 19 turn when one of my teammates came up from behind, so being the competitor that I am I hit the throttle pulled away in the straight and feeling pretty good until I got into the tight turns then sure enough he was right behind me again. After our batteries dropped off I went into the pits and told him I was holding him off for the most part of the run and he is a very good driver! So I felt pretty good, that is until he said he was using a Monster Stock Motor! Moral to this story is the motor won't make you any faster if you can't utilize the speed!
jst my 2$
I know what you mean....

My dad's monster stocks ALL pull my Chameleon
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:52 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic
 
etzkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 790
Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by RCsilly
Hey Kev ,

Put July 18 on your calender , Lazer points race , you are coming with us ! I'm trying to get you out of Livonia to race with more racers , race with the fast guys and you will get faster , not that you aren't fast enough now ...........

Bob
I gear my Lizard 2 , 3 to 4 teeth higher than a monster depending on the layout , see ya sat for your whooppin .... lol
Bob, YGM!

-Kevin
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:55 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic
 
etzkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Northville, MI
Posts: 790
Send a message via AIM to etzkev
Default

Ok, I got a question for all you Chameleon 2 Users! What are the best brushes for this thing? The Pro version comes with 4070's, but how does it react to 4499's? What about 767's? Just let me know your Brush/ Spring setups on these things!

Thanks in advance,
Kevin
etzkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 12:29 AM   #15
PMR
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Philippines
Posts: 74
Default Lessen drag brake effect of 19t Qmag

The Reedy Q mags 19T are really awesome but the slight undesirable drag when I'm off throttle coming in the turns makes my pro4's (one way front) rear a little nervous. What can I do to reduce this drag brake effect? I have two thoughts but not sure it will help, reduce spring rate of brush springs or serrate the brushes to lessen the drag. What are your suggestions. Thanks.
PMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
19 turn TC thread offroader Electric On-Road 2 11-13-2006 03:46 AM
Cobalt 19 Turn Thread BlackKat Electric On-Road 5 06-26-2005 09:47 AM
19 turn Sedan Thread Neil MARCCA Discussion 3 02-20-2005 05:41 AM
19 Turn Spec Thread Speedo Electric On-Road 230 02-08-2005 07:27 AM
Reedy Ti Standard Comm Armature, 10 turn & 8 turn brand new jason cheng R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 2 05-20-2004 01:17 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net