R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #91
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
Another worst for my list:

HPI 10th scale shaft cars - started with the Nitro MT, weak shaft design (center and dogbones always snapping ends off), constantly breaking something (needed to stock up on parts)
I can't remember what hobby shop site i was on, maybe Stormer... but they still have a NIB nitro rs4 MT racer.... hahahaha. I friggin hated that thing. I had so many spares i couldnt afford the fuel to break it enough!
FJC 88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Early HPI cars were high quality racing kits, later HPI cars got lot cheaper in quality and RTR has made the quailty cheap as well.

I think O.S. did make the laydown engine specifically for Japanese market which is bigger on Tamiya and Kyosho. Those are the top 2 r/c companies in Japan. I've been to stores oversea where it's all Tamiya stuff or Kyosho stuff, they were the company's storefront.

Big difference in how we package parts. Tamiya, HPI, Kyosho love parts tree and requires trimming. AE, Losi, Traxxas got upper hand on how to package parts.

Until this day, I still have a Competition Eletronics TurboDyno 45. I think CE dyno and matcher can be added to RC's greatest.
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #93
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The HPI Super F1 was (and still is) an absolute killer of an F1 car. It's only problem was when other HPi's were on the line and those guys wanted to win as well.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #94
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Here's one:

RC Greatest

Victor Engineering Hi-IQ chargers that was state of the art and upgradeable.

RC Worst

When Victor Engineering went out of business and left everyone out with no way of servicing or upgrading of their expensive IQ chargers.
YR4Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #95
Tech Master

Novak used to make chargers, but stopped after the Millennium Pro. As for Tekin, I had 112-A and 112-C. They were good but I didn't bother to send them in for software update back in 2000 for NiMH, that's when I stopped racing and started going to school.

Come to think of it, Losi used to have a street weapon sedan and it was based on xx4. There was even a truck version of xx4, which can relates to today's short course trucks. Moreover, the TA01/02 Baja trucks from Tamiya dated back in 1994. The Ford F150 is still available, I am amazed. How many did they make for production? The Chevy S10 and Toyota Pre-Runner were long gone almost 10 years ago.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #96
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspeed View Post
Novak used to make chargers, but stopped after the Millennium Pro. As for Tekin, I had 112-A and 112-C. .
I have those chargers too. They're sitting somewhere on a shelf in my garage. Reedy almost had a winner with their Quasar Pro charger until the recall. The end of charger buzzer on that thing was LOUD! BTW the Millenium is Novak's best charger but their prior chargers were not so good.

I think the most nicely crafted chargers were the Protec chargers back in the 80's. It was my first charger. Technologically not the greatest but all the switch gear, compenents and case was top notch. It was much better than the Astroflight chargers at that time.

As for greatest in chargers:

Tekin for coming out with "Flex" charging for the early Nicads.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #97
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
As for greatest in chargers:

Tekin for coming out with "Flex" charging for the early Nicads.
Still have one somewhere.

Also still have what I consider the best charger ever, the original Turbocharger.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #98
Tech Master

Novak had digipeak and digiPeak plus (w/ fan), then the Rhino was a piece of crap. There was another one called Ionic. lol

Tekin had the powerflex, I recall PF1 through PF3, and PF = off. It was a leading charger back at the time, almost like a cell conditioner. Of course, CE turbo35 was still the top dog but I could not afford a $300 plus charger. I did buy the TurboDyno 45 four years after started racing lol.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #99
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I haven't seen anyone list this one:

WORST:
Losi Shelf (Street) Weapon. Take a 4WD buggy and morph it into a touring car? Really?
Two-speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:58 PM   #100
Tech Master

street weapon was not a bad car, Joel Johnson won some big races with it. I recall even Brian Kinwald was racing the street weapon
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #101
Tech Adept

Exclamation how to fix?

can someone help me to fix the problems i listed on page 6 about my rs4 rally?
i just need a few pointers towards whats wrong with the car, and how i can fix it.

thanks, jim
DEIGIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #102
Tech Adept

Exclamation rs4 rally upgrades

i know this will be a little off topic but this forum is pretty active so im gunna ask-

hey anyone know where i can find upgrades for my rs4 rally?
im mainly interested in the heat sinc motor mount and woven graphite chassis parts
DEIGIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #103
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-speed View Post
I haven't seen anyone list this one:

WORST:
Losi Shelf (Street) Weapon. Take a 4WD buggy and morph it into a touring car? Really?
Where do you think TC cars came from? The original TC that started it all was a Tamiya TA-01. It was a buggy chassis (Manta Ray) with shortened arms and axles. The Street (shelf) weapon was not far from that. Also the HPI RS4 design was based on the Kyosho Optima Mid and Lazer series. The designer for the HPI cars originally worked as a designer for Kyosho back in the 80's. HPI even developed a prototype 4wd buggy based on the RS4 but scrapped it because the demand for 4wd buggy then was very poor.

Only until recently did they started designing and making purpose built TCs. However 4wd buggies and 4wd TCs have always been linked to each other in one form or another. A recent example is the Kyosho TF-5 shaft and ZX-5 buggy.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #104
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Where do you think TC cars came from? The original TC that started it all was a Tamiya TA-01. It was a buggy chassis (Manta Ray) with shortened arms and axles. The Street (shelf) weapon was not far from that. Also the HPI RS4 design was based on the Kyosho Optima Mid and Lazer series. The designer for the HPI cars originally worked as a designer for Kyosho back in the 80's. HPI even developed a prototype 4wd buggy based on the RS4 but scrapped it because the demand for 4wd buggy then was very poor.

Only until recently did they started designing and making purpose built TCs. However 4wd buggies and 4wd TCs have always been linked to each other in one form or another. A recent example is the Kyosho TF-5 shaft and ZX-5 buggy.
You should know that many in this hobby today don't know the history of it.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:10 PM   #105
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
You should know that many in this hobby today don't know the history of it.
Thats what happens when you're in this hobby too long, you wind up being an RC historian by accident.

What's even more scary is that before my time there were guys who ran cars that didn't have a diff or even a suspension. (ie. RC 12e and RC250)