R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-03-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Weaver View Post
Hey matt you used to run foam tires didnt you? as for rubber tires there is so many tire wars out there plus from batch to batch the tires are either good or bad i ran a tire at a track that i had to buy 4 sets of them to compete at $27 dollars a set and i could have used another set for the main how is that not killing tc if i remember foam tires we used were either jaco or parma not a big tire war and at that time tc was atop of all rc racing.I dont see how foams cost more than rubber tires i have seen a long time ago $11 dollars for jaco foams.Tracks need to use spec rubber tires in non timing classes and whatever you want to run in all other classes,if foam was brought back i bet you will see 17.5,13.5 classes grow.I have ran a couple of weekends at a track on 1 set of foam tires with no issues and when did you see any change from batch to batch in foams?
I dont usually voice my opinion to much but we need foam tire back in tc you wont see 12th scale running on rubbers and look at how many entries at major events and local events 12th scale has.Just my two cents.
weavernator out

ps i had to add how many rubber tire bodies are out there compared to foam tire bodies?
I've run pretty much everything, including foam TC. IMO TC's belong on rubber tires, just like 1/12 belong on foam. Most tracks that I know of that run rubber tires, at least on carpet, have some kind of spec tire. And that tire usually lasts for months when club racing, can't say that for foams. Once again, this is just my opinion. I believe TC on rubber tires is just better racing.
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:26 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I definetly do not agree foam tires on carpet rubber on asphalt thats tc racing for me.I started tc when the tc3 came out and left offroad it is a lot more fun and a lot less expensive, and we ran foam on carpet and rubber on asphalt.I do know before i started tc they ran treaded rubber tires(hpi) on carpet and i heard a lot of racers quit tc and went back to 12th scale or just quit all together.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Default Foams

Here in Minnesota we have only one permanent track and a couple of club tracks. On the club tracks in the winter you are rolling out the carpet the morning of the race over a very cold floor and there is zero traction with rubber tires. Trust me I have tried it and it is like "Tokyo Drifting" until very late in the day. It seems to work here and we are buying foams at the track for $9.99 a pair and plenty of guys will let you use their truers.
haywood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Victory Side

We have had great luck with foam. Our heat is in the floor and it makes the foam hook great with little to no compound. We sell our foams for $20 a set. We were considering going to rubber, but we are limited on what compounds we can run and Ive heard of inconsistent runs with rubber. Foam has been good for 4 years to us and I guess until its broke we wont fix it.

The down fall to TC is cost of cars not tires. Look at what we spend on 1/8th scale tires. That's why VTA seems great, it's TC with training wheels Have fun racing whatever guys.
Victory Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:33 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILGRAFX View Post
This always happens when something changes - like getting out of a bad relationship, at first you're glad you got out and then as time goes by, you only think about the good parts of the relationship and forget about all the crap.

First off, it wasn't cheaper - $40 for a set of foams, then you had to have a truer to cut half of that foam off, then you could easily chunk a foam, requiring you to spend more money for more tires.
It was cheaper and I never saw a set of foams for $40. $30 was the most I ever saw foams going for consistently. You can get them now for $20 a set. You did not need a truer as both Parma, Jaco, and BSR offered trued foams out of the box. You could also run them right out of the box but had to change drop and ride height.

As for how long a foam tire lasted was how could you keep the car off the boards. Foams are not as bad as some people complain about. Rubber tire has its down side to tires like a Jaco Blue from 3 years ago is not the same as now. But Jaco calls them blues even with changes along the way.

Quote:

Second, the racing wasn't any closer - the fast guys are still fast, the slow guys are still slow. The same guys that were competitive with foams are the same guys who are competitive with slicks.
Oh yes it was closer!!! I do not know where you raced foam tire or the races you attended but bumper to bumper racing was much more common with foams. Try racing door to door with a rubber tire car on a mid to low bit track

Quote:

Third, one set of foams wasn't always the ticket - Claims that one set of foams was ticket are false. We were constantly going through different foams for temperatures and conditions, not only through the course of a season but, the course of a day.

The most common tire to run was from a double pink to pink. Most of the time a racers at a track would find the compound that worked the best and almost everyone would run the same compound.

Quote:

Fourth, foams don't make you a better driver, they only mask over setup problems - Better setup and practice makes you better among your peers, not foams.
Practice and setup knowledge always can make one a better driver. Foam tires were easier for novices to get the car around the track without spinning out like rubber tires will do.

Quote:

Foams are faster especially in mod classes but, in our stock classes locally, lap times are only one to two tenths slower than what we ran with foams and it's much more enjoyable than having to worry about cutting tires, chunking tires, constantly adjusting ride heights, and finding the right foams for the track.
There is no way I believe that a rubber car in stock is one or two tenths slower than a foam car. From your statement it is apparent that your racing crowd was not well experienced in racing to have a lap time variance like that.

Foam tire racing brought sedan racing up in the US. I remember in 1998 when I first started racing sedan and rubber tire on carpet sucked. There were so many combo's with compound, inserts, and widths it was crazy. Plus tires were 1 run to be fast. With the rubber spec tire emerging that has helped sedan over time. But in the early days of sedan foam change over helped the popularity.

I personally only like rubber tire outdoors and foam for carpet. I think if a spec foam tire like the lilac was used foam tire would make a comeback in some areas. Some people, so called racers are to lazy to want to mess with ride height and drop and gear ratio changes to want to go back to foam tire racing.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

In S.A. we ran foams on ashphalt in all our classes(electric) for as long as I can remember. Started a 10.5 rubber class this year and entries are increasing.Must admit, if traction is low it looks like rubber is the answer and you can get much more(no pun intended) life out of a set than foams. I can lose up to 5mm during a race weekend if I dont chunk em. Constanly changing roll outs,ride heights...... Foam is losing ground...
benTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
It was cheaper and I never saw a set of foams for $40. $30 was the most I ever saw foams going for consistently. You can get them now for $20 a set. You did not need a truer as both Parma, Jaco, and BSR offered trued foams out of the box. You could also run them right out of the box but had to change drop and ride height.

As for how long a foam tire lasted was how could you keep the car off the boards. Foams are not as bad as some people complain about. Rubber tire has its down side to tires like a Jaco Blue from 3 years ago is not the same as now. But Jaco calls them blues even with changes along the way.

Oh yes it was closer!!! I do not know where you raced foam tire or the races you attended but bumper to bumper racing was much more common with foams. Try racing door to door with a rubber tire car on a mid to low bit track

The most common tire to run was from a double pink to pink. Most of the time a racers at a track would find the compound that worked the best and almost everyone would run the same compound.

Practice and setup knowledge always can make one a better driver. Foam tires were easier for novices to get the car around the track without spinning out like rubber tires will do.

There is no way I believe that a rubber car in stock is one or two tenths slower than a foam car. From your statement it is apparent that your racing crowd was not well experienced in racing to have a lap time variance like that.

Foam tire racing brought sedan racing up in the US. I remember in 1998 when I first started racing sedan and rubber tire on carpet sucked. There were so many combo's with compound, inserts, and widths it was crazy. Plus tires were 1 run to be fast. With the rubber spec tire emerging that has helped sedan over time. But in the early days of sedan foam change over helped the popularity.

I personally only like rubber tire outdoors and foam for carpet. I think if a spec foam tire like the lilac was used foam tire would make a comeback in some areas. Some people, so called racers are to lazy to want to mess with ride height and drop and gear ratio changes to want to go back to foam tire racing.

well said it seems more racers want it and it will happen i know drew ellis was talking about xray challenge races that will have foam racing i cant wait i will attend those races i also might attend the birds if they decide on tc foam but if not i probably wont go.
warren
Old 10-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Hmmm....FOAMS on a TC = RC bliss!!! (at least for me anyways)

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Maybe if a spec tire had been adopted 3 or 4 years ago, this all could have been avoided. Nobody wanted to do that though.

Either way, this train left the station a long time ago.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Maybe if a spec tire had been adopted 3 or 4 years ago, this all could have been avoided. Nobody wanted to do that though.

Either way, this train left the station a long time ago.
end of the line...lol...

easy example....

started with foams...finished in the bottom to middle "B" main
same car same racers, on rubber tire...top 3 of the "A" everytime

foam who?

run a spec tire like Jaco Blues or whatever and 17.5 and let it eat....ran the same tires for 4-6 months at 3 different tracks indoors and outdoors and still finished in the "A"
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #26
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
end of the line...lol...

easy example....

started with foams...finished in the bottom to middle "B" main
same car same racers, on rubber tire...top 3 of the "A" everytime

foam who?

run a spec tire like Jaco Blues or whatever and 17.5 and let it eat....ran the same tires for 4-6 months at 3 different tracks indoors and outdoors and still finished in the "A"
Yeah but how many times were you lapped the in the A main?
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Rubber is for preventing Baby's
Old 10-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
Yeah but how many times were you lapped the in the A main?
only once at the Music City Championship 2009, by EA....

Eric Anderson #1 27 6:04.717 13.372
Jason Lutz #3 26 6:02.027 13.557
Myron Kinnard #5 26 6:06.509 13.869 4.482

these are the same tires they gave out at Beat the Heat/Xray Challenge 2009,that I ran at all my club races out doors and indoors(even with it being a foam track..lol, Dirla) and Alabama/HT track, the Grand Prix in Cincy, Coyote in Lexington,KY,Fall Brawl in Memphis and others the same year...I personally dont know when a rubber tire is done, but I can tell you this that Ive only have bought 5 sets of Jaco Blues since the beginning of the 2009 season...and 2 set was bought just because they are black rims

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorallyBQuiK View Post
Rubber is for preventing Baby's
didnt work on me, Ive got 2 girls..lol

Im hoping VTA/RCGT/TC makes a strong comeback, but I dont see foams being the answer...I see the esc and clubs making it the best racing in r/c....if the clubs can keep the rules close in comparison, you will see the big promoters of races adapt to what the masses are running....that will allow more ppl to join in on the fun locally and nation wide, and right now rubber tire is the best thing for getting ppl into on-road racing

good luck with your club and national racing...Battman
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

mmm foams

Foams require a different type of driving style than rubber, yes it can mask some setup issues, but in the end to be a top contender everything has to be right just like with a rubber car. I thought rubber would lessen the tires I buy, but I have a box full of used spec rubber tires from this summer just like I used to have with foams.. Plus foam cars don't flip over the instant you touch them with another car..
Attached Thumbnails
FOAM TC RACING LETS GET BACK TO IT-foams.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 AM   #30
Tech Elite