Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dead Shorting Experts needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:46 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Dead Shorting Experts needed

I recently began dead shorting my 3300's but I have a question. I normally run the packs once a week or so, but I know I'm not going to be able to run the packs for 3 or 4 weeks. Can I leave the them shorted for that long or should I store them with a small charge in them.

Thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

With a small chage.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I Deadshort most of my 3300's and Iv'e left them at times as much as a month that way......any time I've have them shorted for that long ,I cycle them out of curiousity to see if it has had any effect..(for each of my packs I have print outs of their cycles so it's easy to compare)...and I've come to the conclusion(fact) it hasn't hurt a thing....matter a fact.... some of the best numbers during the discharge cycle come after a long deadshort.......dosn't make it right,but it's right for me
Old 06-27-2004, 05:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Keep them deadshorted. The cells will get all goofy if you do not follow the same thing everytime. Once shorted, they always must be shorted. I have also found that the packs seem to run better if they are not run for a while.
Old 06-27-2004, 06:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree with Brian and Joe. I leave mine dead shorted.... I have gone a few months without any loss of performance... in fact they seem slightly better.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

if u stop dead shorting your packs after u start, u may as well just buy new packs...

i had 7 packs all cycled out at 4.70 or better

i stopped dead shorting them one week. cause my discharge tray broke and i had to get another.. the next week i raced the pack were flat.. i re cycled them and 4 of the 7 packs were 4.55 or lower/... and the ir number jumped..

it is very omportant once u start dead shorting u keep a regular routine... always the same for best results...

and according to smc the battery gods.. if the pack ius going to sit longer then a month.. every two-three weeks take the pack out and cycle it.. then re dead short for staorage.. to long of a sit time will hurt performance...
Old 06-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

One thing though. I noticed that a lot of times my chargers will false peak early and have to restart the charging after only a couple hundred. I don't know why, but I'm assuming its that they need to get kick started because they started at such an absolute zero. Maybe someone can explain what's going on, doesn't seem to affect performance though.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

if your charger has it use a long lockout feature... for some reason dead short packs do this.. it wont hurt the performance, but it is a pain.. especially if u dontnotice it in time...

mine did it for the first few charges.. then after they got trained i havent had a problem since...

what charger do u use... on my t 30 i have to use the lockout.. and on my millenmium i do not haver any problems.. some times it also depends on what type of charge.. ie pulse linear ect.. linear charge seems to be the best

flex and pulse how good numbers on a cycle, but seem to run flat on the track