R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-02-2010, 01:34 AM   #1
Suspended

Default Universal TA05 series secrets

Hi guys.

With the new TRF417 and R version of the TA05 V2 coming out soon, I'd like to open up a newer thread to help others tailor their car to their own driving style, or vise versa.

Final Drive Ratios:

Early to late TA05, TA05-R, TA05 MS and six month original VII production kits: 2.25:1
TA05 IFS, IFS-R, VII w/ upgrade pack, VDF, V2-R: 2.055:1

Drive Options:

Center (all): full-time or one-way. 16T (basic), 17T (3Racing), or 18T (IFS/ late V2)
Front (all): Ball diff, one-way, or direct coupling, 36T or 37T*
Rear (all): Ball diff typically or direct coupling, 36T or 37T*

* See FDR note below, as F/R pulleys need to be the same for a uniform "gearbox" ratio

NOTE on FDR (Final Drive Ratio): Both pulleys, front and rear must have the same pitch/ amount of teeth. Ignoring this will result in driveline failure, premature wear, offset final drive ratios from front to rear, and other additional problems that we all care not to have.

My car currently has the kit's stock FDR.
I crunched the numbers together and matched the perfect 2.0:1, for brushless motors like they want, just like my old AE TC5FT.

36T diff pulleys, 18T centers from the IFS setup equals 2.0:1, so that's what I will want to change on my car quite soon.

Stab Bars:

Old school silver bars were so rare and unseen that they must have rusted and died. They looked around 2mm thick.

Blue - hard, about 1.5mm
Yellow - med, about 1.25mm
Red - soft, about 1mm
Black - see kit (medium or soft)

more later but please add on -
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT

Last edited by dragnse7en; 10-02-2010 at 02:19 AM.
dragnse7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 AM   #2
Suspended

Default Lower Deck

TA05 series decks:

Reminds me of the old skool Brian Kinwald black aluminum tub chassis from my AE RC10T 2.25:1 stealth tranny FT kit (drink milk!!!! paintjob LOL)

secret - I always see that fat bead of senseless nothing on the very top of the deck, all around it on the top. I hope that I'm not the first one to say that I don't miss any of that any more with a little TLC ala dremel

TA05, TA05-R, IFS, early VIIs plastic and VDF-

parking lot death, speed run records, pro track asphalt stock class rubber tire applications, etc.

TA05, TA05-R, IFS, or IFS-R and early VIIs Lightweight carbon fiber -

tighter for rubber, and tweaks good on the right foam tire setups. Makes the suspension work more, like a real car, and transfers moment quicker to the stab bars.

Insane speed record runs, Intermediate or expert racing, rubbing the rails if you dare - bad on crashes w/ MOD motors or insane driver error crashes

No aluminum subs for fasteners or screws here.
Tamiya Frog from 1985 - Kyosho Outlaw Ultima ST - AE RC10T (cow hide LOL) - Tamiya M03-L Mini Cooper - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Posche 962C - Tamiya 1/24 Tamtech Ferrari Testarossa - Tamiya TA05-R - AE TC5FT
Old 10-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You're bored like me!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Suspended

Default Steering

Remove the pitman arm/ drag link off of the steering servo, and remove it from the steering set link.

Hold the dead car and tilt the front end down. Now sway it, left to right. You should see the front tires react to the proper camber and sway (and click on the stops if you're tuned!) from side to side.

If that binds up from left to right, release the steering link ends from the steering knuckles/ front hub carriers, and try it again, without any interference from the front hubs themselves.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How about a list of part numbers for recommended upgrades.
Spring sets, shocks aluminum parts, CF parts etc, for those that do not have the time or money to try every hop-up part Tamiya makes

TA-05 original

thanks
Firefox is offline   Reply With Quote