R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-01-2004, 03:51 AM   #16
Tech Rookie

you cant always say a discharge cutoff.
if you use a 30amp dscharger then this could take the pack down to 5.4volts, but then if u took the pack and put it on a 1 amp discharger it would probably read 7 volts. It depends on the IR of the cell.
A good pack in good condition will read the narrowest range of volts. E.g. [email protected] [email protected]
As for the cutoff, i discharge my cells to [email protected] the lower you discharge your cells the more punch and less runtime u get.
i would not advice to discharge to 5.4 for storage. And would try to equalise the cells ever 5 to 10 runs. All packs get "out of sink" sooner or later
rickylee53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:01 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yea integy's website is a joke as far a product info....I had to e-mail them to find out what discharge amps it has..(It dosn't even say on the unit or in the box).....the zero-equalizer has a 1amp discharge rate .....the activator has a .5 amp rate and from the looks of the activator (not 100%sure) but it dosn't have a thumb screw contact for each of the cells.......Im gonna pick up one of the zero-equalizers (as an extra trey) this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out..................Joe B

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 04:14 AM   #18
Tech Master

In my opinion...Packs should be equalized much more often than that...when I don't equalize a pack (even if it was done last week) and I charge it....it dosn't have anywhere near as good of numbers on the GFX or as much punch on the track,as when it is equalized right before the charge............

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Old 07-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #19
Tech Adept

What are the advantages and dis-advantages of discharging at 20 or 30 Amp. I have a integy reactor 30 and have measured a cutoff voltage of 4.4v? This meter is calibrated as well
Also if you look at the varible cutoff discharger from Orion (p/n 31000 Digital Discharger) it has [email protected] and [email protected]
adyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:52 AM   #20
Tech Master

They're more like theory's.... not a definitive advantage or disadvantage......some say for packs that will be used for stock racing ,where, somewhere around the neighborhood of 20 amps is drawn,this is also what you shoud discharge them at... for packs designated for mod, some do those at 30 or 35amps......this would imply that NIMH's have memory, no one seems to be "absolutly" sure on this........... I now, discharge everything at 20amps strictly because I've seen no difference in performance on my packs with 30amp or 35amp discharge rates....and they get so much hotter with the high amp discharges.......next time you discharge a pack ,right as it finishes and It hits your cutoff (where ever you have it set)have a voltmeter on any one of the cells......it will rebound immediatly up to 1.2volts, give or take......that cutoff point is for just that instant when it stops discharging....so in reality a cutoff any where between 0.1volts and 1.2 volts will be the same the second its disconected.....the equalizing of each individual cell is what matters...................Joe

Old 07-01-2004, 12:25 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm looking to finish my light blub with cut-off discharger. But I can't seem find a cut-off devise. U guys have any thoughts on were I might find one or order one?
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 10:54 AM   #22
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Were can I order a cutoff device?
yodace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 09:44 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

Quote:
Originally posted by adyb
What are the advantages and dis-advantages of discharging at 20 or 30 Amp. I have a integy reactor 30 and have measured a cutoff voltage of 4.4v? This meter is calibrated as well
Also if you look at the varible cutoff discharger from Orion (p/n 31000 Digital Discharger) it has [email protected] and [email protected]

thats the problem with the indy reactor 30. it is set at a cutoff voltage at 4.4 you have you recalibrate it and set it at 6.0V. i have damaged my packs this way cause i didnt realize that it was set at such a low voltage cutoff
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 01:51 AM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe B
Im gonna pick up one of the zero-equalizers (as an extra trey) this weekend, I'll let you know how it works out.
I'm anxiously awaiting your review, Joe.
Bandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #25
Tech Master

Yea bandini.....I picked up the zero-equalizer discharge board at the end of the race day on sunday......when I got home I discharged two of my race packs on my GFX down to 5.4volts....put one of them in my usual (integy indi booster 2) and the other In the (integy zero-equalizer)......I can tell you, there's not much to say about any differences they have.....because the only difference (in function) is the discharge amp rate being a little slower on the zero-equalizer....1 Amp compared to the indi-booster's 1.75 Amp .........it took about 1/2 hour longer to get the pack on the zero-equalizer down to zero (where I take all of my pack's that I run in stock or 19 turn).....and there was no cell reversal even after sitting over a day (so it's safe) and for 16 bucks.......3 times cheaper than the indi-booster 2.........it's a pretty good deal...............Joe B

Old 07-07-2004, 12:55 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

At that price, it sounds great. Now, if you wouldn't want to go all the way down to zero, how would you read the cell voltage? I guess the bulbs dim at around .9V. Any additional LEDs or anything?
Bandini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #27
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by S-T-R-l-K-E-R
thats the problem with the indy reactor 30. it is set at a cutoff voltage at 4.4 you have you recalibrate it and set it at 6.0V. i have damaged my packs this way cause i didnt realize that it was set at such a low voltage cutoff
Does this mean that you reset the cutoff voltage to 6.0v. If so how did you do it? I agree with you that 4.4v is to low.

Thanks for your help
adyb
adyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 01:53 PM   #28
Tech Master

Bandini.....I forgot to check what voltage the cells are at when the bulbs dim on the new zero-equalizer...Ill let you know..........the indi booster 2 I usually use ,has a small dial inside that you can adjust to have the lights go out at a desired voltage...(it works, but it's a pain to get set)..If your determined to have, not only the lights go out at a desired voltage (say .9 volts) and to also have an automatic cutoff at that point, I'd go with the new novak even though it's expensive and it only accepts cells configured one way........... Joe B

Old 07-08-2004, 12:12 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

Quote:
Originally posted by adyb
Does this mean that you reset the cutoff voltage to 6.0v. If so how did you do it? I agree with you that 4.4v is to low.

Thanks for your help
adyb
i have a friend who has a 40 amp digital powersupply. he hooked up the reactor and got it going. then he turned down the voltage output until it reached 6V. then inside there is an adjustment screw where he was able to set it at 6v cutoff
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 07:21 AM   #30
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb

I saw that somebody was looking for a discharge cutoff device, here is a link to our local tracks forum where somebody made one themselves. It should be an easy task if you can find the parts.

link
kruthles is offline   Reply With Quote