R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Wire Question - 12gauge vs 14gauge

I am swapping ESCs this week, and I am moving from using Dean's connectors to direct wiring everything - since I am basically rewiring the entire car, I thought it would be a good time to ask -

is 12 gauge wire noticeably better than 14 gauge?

I have enough 14 gauge Novak super flex to redo everything, but if 12 gauge is that much better, I want to go to it while I am doing it.

What do YOU use?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

rctoyguy,

I use 14 gauge wire myself. The SuperFlex wire is good stuff and it's easy to work with. You'll find, now that you're hard wiring, that 14 gauge is easier to solder to your batteries. It creates a better joint than 12 gauge. As for performance between the two, it's a moot point. The runs are so short, that you would never see an advantage of using the thicker gauge.
Fuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Lightbulb

14 gauge wire lets in more electricity, thus reducing your run time and increasing your top-speed .12 gauge wire lets in less electricity, thus increasing runtime and reducing top-speed.

I just mowed the lawn too, incase you wanted to know.
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by macnkitty2002
14 gauge wire lets in more electricity, thus reducing your run time and increasing your top-speed .12 gauge wire lets in less electricity, thus increasing runtime and reducing top-speed.

Why would thinner wire let in more electricity? I dont think that running thinner wire will increase runtime. If there is enough current flowing through the wires that the amount of energy that can pass through the wire is limited by it thickness, then the energy would most likely be lost as heat rather than increasing runtime.
AE Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:15 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Unhappy

sorry. asked my friend about the wire gauge. he told me that the 14 was bigger than the 12 gauge. i guess thats why he is not an electrician, also because he said he failed the ''basic electronics 101" class in college.
macnkitty2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:26 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Here's another thing to consider: weight. The same length wire, 12 gauge will be heavier.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:44 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
sorry. asked my friend about the wire gauge. he told me that the 14 was bigger than the 12 gauge. i guess thats why he is not an electrician, also because he said he failed the ''basic electronics 101" class in college.
I can see why, since he has it wrong... 12GA is the thicker wire of those 2, & as such it has more copper in it, so it will tend to have slightly lower electrical resistance than 14GA. But an advantage of 14GA is that it is lighter, & also more flexible, so in some situations(like wiring a 1/12 scale car, with a floating pod for the rear suspension), it's a good idea to have more flexible wire to the motor, so the wire won't interfere with suspension action as much. And really, there isn't that much difference in resistance between the two, so for some, 14GA is a very good compromise(& it's actually what Novak's top-of-the-line GT7 uses).....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:46 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you aren't running an application where there is high current draw, ie open modified sedan, then I wouldn't worry about the difference between 14 and 12 AWG wire. 14 is eaesier to work with, 12 will pass more current for a given temperature rise (the temperature of the wire with a given current). Keeping your wires short and making good connections will help your performance the most. Don't make them so short that you will not be able to reterminate the wire in the future. After you solder and desolder a pack a few times the end of the wire will become frayed and not so good. Allow a little bit of slack so that you can clip off the end of the wire, strip it back a little, and retin the end for use.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Are you Brian Kinwald, Matt Francis, Musami Hirosaka, Barry Baker, ect.... in disguise?? HMM, no.... then I severally doubt you will notice a difference. Also if you don't have a really good iron, you will have more resistance in a 12 guage solder joint than on a 14 guage one because 12 guage is pretty hard to get a good joint without the proper equiptment.... so the resistance between the 2 wires will actually be worse with a 12 guage wire......

macnkitty2002- that is one of the absolutely dumbest things I have ever read, in reality bigger wire will flow current more efficiently, efficiency = power and runtime..... however the efficiency, power, and weight difference is so small you will never even see them, except in 1/12th scale, but the preformance difference has all to do with binding the rear pod by the thicker wire.....

BTW: the next few posts will probably be "JOINT" jokes........

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:56 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:

BTW: the same people with this mentality also have 120lb. injectors, a 300 shot of NOS, and 4" exhaust piping on their 4 banger Civic for "better preformance"....

on a side note.... these import guys are doing what we used to do with our 4 cyl. stangs', and chargers' and Daytonas' 10 years ago... ..... but their "innovators"

Pitman for Team Dallas Austin...
IMPACTPLAYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 03:59 PM   #11
Tech Master

It looks like the general consensus is that 14 gauge wire is plenty good for all but the most SERIOUS driver.

I knew that the difference in performace (resistance) would be minimal, but I have also found that every once of weight counts, so I figured every ohm of resistance would too.

You have all made me feel better - I can (and will) use the wire I have and not worry about it. Good clean solder JOINTs are probably more critical than 1 size of wire.

There, I didn't make a joint joke, but I did emphasize it!

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:08 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Default Resistance of Wire

Here is a good calculator to use to see that it makes very little difference when considering the "wire" only. Obviously you will have a little loss at each joint, but for the wire only check out this link and play with the calculator

http://www.cirris.com/testing/resistance/wire.html

Length of wire is more important
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:34 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Use the 14 gauge that you have. If the wire gets hot after mains go to 12 gauge.
andsetinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:02 AM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
It looks like the general consensus is that 14 gauge wire is plenty good for all but the most SERIOUS driver
The world champ uses 14gauge. I saw it with my own eyes. As for the weight thing, you will usually have to add weight to the car anyway.
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:39 AM   #15
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jaysimpson

He is running a Losi, no weight will be added. He needs to lose as much weight as possible,LOL.
A-Train Racing
Warehouse Raceway
jaysimpson is offline   Reply With Quote