R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Unhappy Tekin RS Pro will not calibrate with JR Radio

Help! I just got my first brushless motor and speed control and the speed control will not calibrate. The steering works fine. I searched through the "Tekin RS ESC sensored" thread. But it was of no help.

Per the instructions, I set the:
1) throttle trim adjustment to the middle
2) throttle and brake end points to MAX
3) throttle servo direction is "Normal"

When I press and hold the Mode button for 3 seconds, it starts beeping. The 4th LED "NW" flashes with the beeps. This is the first time that the speed control is hooked up.

I am using an JR Racing XR2 AM radio. I haven't moved to "2.4 Ghz" radio yet due to funds. The radio works great since I was just using it prior to removing the old Novak Cyclone ESC to install the Tekin RS Pro.

No matter how I play around with the throttle/brake end points, servo reversing, etc, the Tekin still beeps with the NW LED flashing. No changes to the LED or beeping whatsoever even if I pull/push the trigger.

So can someone help me calibrate? Or do I have a dead ESC? Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by M3Armand; 09-26-2010 at 09:42 PM.
M3Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Try increasing the NW.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TVMRocket69 Send a message via Yahoo to TVMRocket69

Your EPA for throttle and brake should be set to 100%. If they are set to max which should be 125 it will not calibrate.
AnswerUSA-RC Team Driver, G's R/C Raceway Team Driver, RBMods Team Driver, Kosmic R/C Fuel Team Driver, MurfDogg Motorworks Team Driver, Serpent S811B, Serpent S811t, MurfDogg Powered V-Desizn Carpet Ripper 5
TVMRocket69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

it does neutral first the forward then brake,try reversing you throttle on the radio
Old 09-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My tekin rs worked perfect with my jr xr2. Set everything throttle and brake related to 100, including both directions of trim, sub trim, dual rate, travel, and grip brake. If that doesn't work, then reverse the throttle channel and try again.

EDIT: There's a link to the manual download here:
http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Sup...odID=JRP212127

If you do the full reset, be aware that the grip brake defaults to like 85, and you need to bump that back up to 100 before calibrating to the ESC.

-Mike

Last edited by grippgoat; 09-26-2010 at 10:00 PM.
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakk View Post
Try increasing the NW.
I set it to 13 = the beeping and NW flashing remained the same
I set it to 1 = the beeping and NW flashing remained the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMRocket69 View Post
Your EPA for throttle and brake should be set to 100%. If they are set to max which should be 125 it will not calibrate.
I set all to 100 = the beeping and NW flashing remained the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
My tekin rs worked perfect with my jr xr2. Set everything throttle and brake related to 100, including both directions of trim, sub trim, dual rate, travel, and grip brake. If that doesn't work, then reverse the throttle channel and try again.

-Mike
1) throttle and brake = 100
2) what do you mean by "both directions of trim"? throttle trim = 0
3) sub trim = 0
4) dual rate? Isn't that only for steering?
5) travel? Isn't that the same as #1?
6) grip brake = 100
7) I reversed the throttle channel = nothing.

It seems like no matter what settings I play with, the "beeping and NW flash" remain the same. Isn't it at least supposed to change a little if I push/pull the trigger or fiddle with the throttle trim?

I just tried my KO and Futaba radios and they don't work either. The steering works with all the radios.

So is the motor supposed to be hooked up during calibration? I have all wires soldered and the sensor plugged in as well. Since it's my first BL setup, I don't know if it matters. The instructions doesn't say either way.

When the Tekin DOES find neutral, I assume it's supposed to give a different type of "beep"? Also, how long is it supposed to take to find "neutral"? I mean, is it supposed to take 2 or 3 seconds to find neutral?

Thanks in advance for the help everyone!

Last edited by M3Armand; 09-26-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Team Tekin

What does it do if you just turn it on? Only a few possibilities.

1 - Initialize and ready to drive
2 - Flash all leds - no radio signal
3 - Flash leds 1,2,3 - signal too low
4 - Flash leds 5,6,7 - signal too high

You should be able to get some change in the leds by pulling the throttle or pushing brake on #3 or #4.

You can also trick the unit into initializing without the motor attached by moving the trigger around until you find the neutral it wants to see. Then you can move the throttle and see how the leds respond.

Left to right for throttle
Right to left for brake/rev

You can also see the throw giving you an idea where the end points are set. IE showing full throttle on the leds when only pulling partial trigger on radio, or not making it to full throttle

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 09-26-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
What does it do if you just turn it on? Only a few possibilities.

1 - Initialize and ready to drive
2 - Flash all leds - no radio signal
3 - Flash leds 1,2,3 - signal too low
4 - Flash leds 5,6,7 - signal too high

You should be able to get some change in the leds by pulling the throttle or pushing brake on #3 or #4.

You can also trick the unit into initializing without the motor attached by moving the trigger around until you find the neutral it wants to see. Then you can move the throttle and see how the leds respond.

Left to right for throttle
Right to left for brake/rev

You can also see the throw giving you an idea where the end points are set. IE showing full throttle on the leds when only pulling partial trigger on radio, or not making it to full throttle

Tekin Prez

When I first turn it on, it flashes all LEDs as in your #2 above = "2 - Flash all leds - no radio signal".

Then when I push the MODE button and hold it for 3 seconds for calibration, the "NW" LED flashes along with a beep. Then I'm stuck here with no change regardless of push/pulling the throttle trigger.

So if there's "no radio signal", how come I still get steering?

Also, I've tried a Futaba and KO radio. Same result as above.

Is the motor supposed to be disconnected for calibration?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default throttle reverse??

Mine did the same, just had to reverse the throttle channel..........
oldguyzrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:39 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguyzrule View Post
I just double-checked, my throttle was not reversed with the XR2.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #11
Tech Adept

You may be too impatient. I was when I first tried to calibrate mine. When you first put it into calibrate mode, you need to wait a few seconds before you do anything with the trigger as it is calibrating to the neutral position. It will notify you with a beep when it is ready for you to pull the trigger for the full throttle calibration, etc. Hope this helps.
calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #12
Tech Regular

If you have all lights flashing on the RS it thinks there is no radio signal. That could be the case, but also this happens when the RS isn't getting the voltage it is expecting. Go into the HotWire software and make sure that the voltage cutoff setting is not set too high. If you do not know how to do this my 208 article tells you how. It is at

http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=244

Also, if you are using a 1S LiPo, make sure your booster or Rx pack are connected and operational.

I recently had to solve the very same problem on someone else's system.

Hope this helps.

Trev
CARSrcracing.co.uk Webmaster
Schumacher Racing

Last edited by TrevCoult; 09-27-2010 at 02:28 AM.
TrevCoult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #13
Team Tekin

If it is flashing all leds there is no radio signal, or is it not clean enough for us too accept it. It needs to be condition 1, 3, or 4 at turn on.

If you have steering we can use that channel for debug. You can plug the RS into the steering channel and use it like a throttle. It should at least get rid of the flashing all leds and see a signal.

If the unit will connect to the hotwire the plug is working and white wire are good and working. Sounds like we need to get a good radio signal.

Not the issue here, but antilock brake settings will not allow us to calibrate also. We have to have a consistent signal for calibration and antlock makes the brake signal vary.

Jim
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguyzrule View Post
I've been reversing the throttle channel back and forth... no effect. I even tried different transmitters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin View Post
You may be too impatient. I was when I first tried to calibrate mine. When you first put it into calibrate mode, you need to wait a few seconds before you do anything with the trigger as it is calibrating to the neutral position. It will notify you with a beep when it is ready for you to pull the trigger for the full throttle calibration, etc. Hope this helps.
I left it on for 5 minutes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevCoult View Post
If you have all lights flashing on the RS it thinks there is no radio signal. That could be the case, but also this happens when the RS isn't getting the voltage it is expecting. Go into the HotWire software and make sure that the voltage cutoff setting is not set too high. If you do not know how to do this my 208 article tells you how. It is at

http://www.carsrcracing.co.uk/?p=244

Also, if you are using a 1S LiPo, make sure your booster or Rx pack are connected and operational.

I recently had to solve the very same problem on someone else's system.

Hope this helps.

Trev
From the Tekin Prez post above, all the LEDs flashing does say "no radio signal". But then why do I still have steering?

I don't have a Hotwire since this is my first brushless setup. I may be new to BL, but 30 years into the hobby.

The Tekin RS Pro was "fresh from the box". Thus, it had the stock settings on it. I double-checked the voltage cutoff setting and it's set to "1 = None". I have brand new 2s 7.2 volt Lipo's attached.

I played around with the NW setting from 1 to 13 and it had no effect.

I was starting to think it was the receiver (also made by Tekin), but when I hook up my previously installed Novak Cyclone TC speed control, it works fine.

This is super frustratin. It shouldn't take a Phd to setup these darn things! But I'm starting to think this ESC is dead-on-arrival.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Armand View Post
I've been reversing the throttle channel back and forth... no effect. I even tried different transmitters...

I left it on for 5 minutes...

From the Tekin Prez post above, all the LEDs flashing does say "no radio signal". But then why do I still have steering?

I don't have a Hotwire since this is my first brushless setup. I may be new to BL, but 30 years into the hobby.

The Tekin RS Pro was "fresh from the box". Thus, it had the stock settings on it. I double-checked the voltage cutoff setting and it's set to "1 = None". I have brand new 2s 7.2 volt Lipo's attached.

I played around with the NW setting from 1 to 13 and it had no effect.

I was starting to think it was the receiver (also made by Tekin), but when I hook up my previously installed Novak Cyclone TC speed control, it works fine.

This is super frustratin. It shouldn't take a Phd to setup these darn things! But I'm starting to think this ESC is dead-on-arrival.
Mate just to give you some confidence keep working at it.... I know this doesnt help u out totally but in my situation I have a futaba 4pk and the rs pro and to setup the speedie up I waited for the neutral to find itself then the servo setting in normal mode on the tx it wouldnt find full throttle or brake.... But as soon as I used the brake for the throttle and then the throttle for the brake went in and switched the servo setting on the tx to reverse it works flawlessly. I know its a different brand but the same problem.

Someone out there will have the answer for you mate just work at it cause once you get it working you will never own another speedie unless tekin bring out something better

Good luck