Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Bring it to RCE tomorrow I'll get you going
Old 09-27-2010, 12:12 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Armand View Post
When I first turn it on, it flashes all LEDs as in your #2 above = "2 - Flash all leds - no radio signal".

Then when I push the MODE button and hold it for 3 seconds for calibration, the "NW" LED flashes along with a beep. Then I'm stuck here with no change regardless of push/pulling the throttle trigger.

So if there's "no radio signal", how come I still get steering?

Also, I've tried a Futaba and KO radio. Same result as above.

Is the motor supposed to be disconnected for calibration?
Hey, i too have an RS Pro with a JR XR2. and also upgraded from a novak cyclone. lol but i think your problem is that you're not finishing the calibration. the beep you are hearing after pressing mode for 3 seconds is the esc finding neutral, so immediately after that pull the trigger to max throttle and hold it until you hear the beep again, then push the trigger all the way forward and hold it there until you hear a beep one last time for max brake. then you should be good. Just from reading the quoted post it seems you haven't completely finished the calibration, but i could be wrong.
hope this helps
spyder8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekin Prez View Post
If it is flashing all leds there is no radio signal, or is it not clean enough for us too accept it. It needs to be condition 1, 3, or 4 at turn on.

If you have steering we can use that channel for debug. You can plug the RS into the steering channel and use it like a throttle. It should at least get rid of the flashing all leds and see a signal.

If the unit will connect to the hotwire the plug is working and white wire are good and working. Sounds like we need to get a good radio signal.

Not the issue here, but antilock brake settings will not allow us to calibrate also. We have to have a consistent signal for calibration and antlock makes the brake signal vary.

Jim

So plugging the ESC into the steering worked! It recognized neutral pretty quickly, fwd and then reverse. I was able to control the motor with the steering wheel.

So what do I do now? From your statement above, it looks like the throttle signal isn't "clean". I suppose it's possible for the steering signal to be clean and the throttle not clean? I'm using a Tekin micro receiver as well. The same receiver as shown in the RS Pro ESC instructions.

THANKS!
M3Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
So plugging the ESC into the steering worked! It recognized neutral pretty quickly, fwd and then reverse. I was able to control the motor with the steering wheel.

So what do I do now? From your statement above, it looks like the throttle signal isn't "clean". I suppose it's possible for the steering signal to be clean and the throttle not clean? I'm using a Tekin micro receiver as well. The same receiver as shown in the RS Pro ESC instructions.

THANKS!
Plug the steering into the throttle, and see if you can control it with the trigger. Furthermore, make sure it's getting equal travel in both directions, and that the travel is the same as what it gets with the steering wheel. If not, you've probably still got some setting that's not set to 100.

If you look in the instructions I linked above, there's a way to completely reset all trims and everything to 100 (except maybe grip brake which I think goes to like 85). If all else fails, give that a shot.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Ok, just to close this thread out...

I swapped receivers (with an ancient and pretty darn LARGE KO receiver) and everything works now... Looks like my Tekin Micro Receiver is not producint a "clean" enough signal.

So my question is, how come the Tekin micro receiver, which I love since it will fit into anything, won't work with the RS Pro while it works fine with my older other ESC's (2 old Tekin brushed ESC's and one Novak Cyclone TC)?

From reading threads, it has something to do with the Tekin RS Pro needing a "clean" signal. So I'm curious if my Tekin receiver needs "adjusting" somehow. I'm having a difficult time believing that an ancient KO receiver at twice the size would outperform my Tekin micro receiver.

I'm curious since when I eventually upgrade to a 2.4Ghs transmitter/receiver, I'm worried that I'd be buying something that won't work with the Tekin RS Pro! Odd that the "Tekin to Tekin" won't work!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:30 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Ok, just to close this thread out...

I swapped receivers (with an ancient and pretty darn LARGE KO receiver) and everything works now... Looks like my Tekin Micro Receiver is not producint a "clean" enough signal.

So my question is, how come the Tekin micro receiver, which I love since it will fit into anything, won't work with the RS Pro while it works fine with my older other ESC's (2 old Tekin brushed ESC's and one Novak Cyclone TC)?

From reading threads, it has something to do with the Tekin RS Pro needing a "clean" signal. So I'm curious if my Tekin receiver needs "adjusting" somehow. I'm having a difficult time believing that an ancient KO receiver at twice the size would outperform my Tekin micro receiver.

I'm curious since when I eventually upgrade to a 2.4Ghs transmitter/receiver, I'm worried that I'd be buying something that won't work with the Tekin RS Pro! Odd that the "Tekin to Tekin" won't work!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the Tekin receiver 15 years old or have they produced them again?

Technology moves on. It would seem that maybe the Tekin receiver doesn't have a wide enough sensitivity for the new generation of ESC's.

I can never work out why people will persist with old gear when they are buying new ESC;s etc. You can get a decent new radio and receiver for less than $US200 and its 2.4g
Old 09-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Excuse my ignorance but isn't the Tekin receiver 15 years old or have they produced them again?

Technology moves on. It would seem that maybe the Tekin receiver doesn't have a wide enough sensitivity for the new generation of ESC's.

I can never work out why people will persist with old gear when they are buying new ESC;s etc. You can get a decent new radio and receiver for less than $US200 and its 2.4g
I am with you on that as a radio is a investment and should be the first thing you spend the most amount of money on cause you will keep it for a good while plus you only need one radio to do all your cars. Just buy more rx's and use the same tx. common sense I think.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:25 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:

Cannon, then how do you explain that my KO receiver, which is even much older than the Tekin, presumably would have enough sensitivity for the new ESC's? Your age theory doesn't work in this case since my KO is much older in design and age. I'm thinking that maybe my Tekin receiver only needs adjustment somehow.

Quote:
Cannon, you can't work out why "people persist with old gear"? It's really not that difficult. Pick your adult related reasonings here:

1) Vintage is "cool"
2) Kids need to go to college
3) Baby need new shoes
4) Sports car needs new tires
5) Minivan or SUV needs new tires
6) House needs repair
7) Food is more important
8) RC is NOT the only hobby: fine wine, PS3/Xbox, home theater stereo, ATV, jetski, skiing, tennis, scuba, racing school, etc...
9) Not enough time to research and buy the best electronics (in my case, it probably took me a month to research and decide the RS Pro is the best for what I want to do)
10) But here's my favorite...don't want to "upgrade" everything in one shot and only want to upgrade one equipment at a time to keep it "under the wife's radar".
Old 09-28-2010, 06:38 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Cannon, then how do you explain that my KO receiver, which is even much older than the Tekin, presumably would have enough sensitivity for the new ESC's? Your age theory doesn't work in this case since my KO is much older in design and age. I'm thinking that maybe my Tekin receiver only needs adjustment somehow.

Cannon, you can't work out why "people persist with old gear"? It's really not that difficult. Pick your adult related reasonings here:

1) Vintage is "cool"
3) Baby need new shoes
6) House needs repair
8) RC is NOT the only hobby: fine wine, PS3/Xbox, home theater stereo, ATV, jetski, skiing, tennis, scuba, racing school, etc...
9) Not enough time to research and buy the best electronics (in my case, it probably took me a month to research and decide the RS Pro is the best for what I want to do)
10) But here's my favorite...don't want to "upgrade" everything in one shot and only want to upgrade one equipment at a time to keep it "under the wife's radar".
Then dont complain when old equipment doesn't make it with new equipment. MOdern equipment has come a LONG way in the last 15 years

Obviously the sensitivity of the Tekin receiver is finer than the old KO receiver.

The Tekin ESC loves clean signals. No way would I be racing with equipment that has dodgy signals

But as you said, other things take priority
Old 09-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

1) Vintage is "cool"
3) Baby need new shoes
6) House needs repair
Yep thats right other things take priority but if you cant afford more than one hobby which you have I am guessing thats your own problem if things dont work and you cant afford new technology.

All I can see instead of adult reasonings is a whole heap of excuses.
This sport most ppl call it a investment and what u put into it is what you get out of it. I cant understand why some not all ppl spend like $250 in total on a rtr kit which is cheap and nasty then expect to bolt all the fast stuff in it and its no where near capable of handling it. Your radio is one if not the most important piece of equipment as it does more work than any other piece of equipment.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

some old receiver can't work with newer esc because

ttl vs cmos signal is not =

i think your receiver can't lower signal to zero volt

only small resistor pulldown can work test it 10k ohm between signal wire and ground
spectrum dx2.0
dgaumond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #27
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I just think that old receiver has bad channel with either a wandering nuetral point and or an intermitent signal condition.

Regardless of age the cyrstal receivers either work or they don't. This is why we had you to the steering channel test. If it works in one channel but not the other, receiver is the first place to go. Transmitter settings on the throttle channel will also be come suspect!

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

i am having the same problem with my dx3r. sooo lame. wont calibrate after nuetral
perez62682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #29
Tech Regular

i to, have had this problem yesterday. The tekin would`nt stop blinking one led. Tried several things but nothing helped. Maybe the 2,4 ghz wireless router is intervering But kept trying and suddenly it calibrated?????

Still don`t know what it was.

It is with a Spektrum dx3s transmitter and receiver.
djiewie is offline   Reply With Quote