R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-27-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Timmy_G
Default Tyres and Carpet Racing

Hey all,

A friend and I are throwing up idea's of a control class with the idea being having a class which costs stuff all to run in. Cheap on motors and tyres.

We are currently sourcing some carpet suitable to race on for the location we already have sorted out, but... Im just wondering how tyre wear is on carpet? What works?? foams, rubbers, and what compounds? And in which class were you running when you came across you're verdict for how long you're tyres last.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim
Old 06-27-2004, 09:22 PM   #2
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Hi -

I know foams will almost always work on carpet - it just depends on how soft a compound you want to run - which will affect how quickly the tires go down. If people at your track have tire truers, great!

As for rubber - most people at our track run Take-Off CS-22s - they are the softest from this company. The are reasonably durable and do the job most most everyone...

My $0.02

Cheers

Dave
F1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

True, foam tires will have the most grip on carpet, but they also wear out a LOT faster than rubber ones(& you usually have to have a tire lathe available so they can keep them running true, & they also have to change their gear ratios as the tires wear, so their cars' rollout will stay the same as the tires wear). But rubber tires should work just fine on most carpet, & a good choice for a spec-type class is TakeOff's premounted ones, in either CS-22 or CS-27 compound. The CS-22's will grip better, but will wear a bit faster than 27's do. If you can get enough traction from 27's, I think those are what I'd reccomend, because you could probably run for a couple of MONTHS on 2 or 3 pairs of them before they might need to be replaced(& that kind of low wear is hard to beat for the price). plus, the best thing about the TakeOff premounts is the price, in my area, we easily see full sets of them(4 tires, with inserts, already mounted & glued on decent wheels) for about $35US, which is pretty hard to beat by anyone....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:08 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Side note - Rubber tires will wear out the ozite faster then foams.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 AM   #5
Tech Master

what compound rubber? or 22's or even the 32's wear faster... if you can get them to work?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:12 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Is this carpet or Ozite?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:13 AM   #7
Tech Master

we are more likely to be running ozite.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:27 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Just thought I ask since a track up in brissy runs carpet.

I've run Sorex 36r's on ozite and they hook-up surprisingly well, a little too hard(I'm sure I could get 32r's to work fine at my local track). Kind of funny really you can get the squeal of rubbers on high grip ozite. They were soaked with compound for a long time; wear on them didn't seem too bad at all. If you don't want to mess with stinky compound then stay with the softer tires (27-22). Rubber on ozite will last quite a while anyway.
Old 06-28-2004, 04:58 AM   #9
Tech Elite

On our carpet track, CS-22 cant get grip, unless you use traction sauce - which aint allowed here I dont know which kind of carpet we use, but we have quite low temperatures during the winther, just something to consider.

If the purpose is to keep it simple, to get as many as possible into the class, I would stay with rubber and forbid the use of traction compound.

At several carpet tracks in our area, many of us have good results with M1 tires. GM market them. Grip is good, but the wear could be a little better.

Also consider Schumacher Dragon carpet tire - very good grip in many cases and with a reasonably wear. With this tire, we actually have problems with traction rolling, is the inserts are too soft.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:02 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Tire wear

Some time ago, I did a test. It was with the discontinued Schumacher White, which is a slick tire. Without belting them, they lasted approx. 25 runs, before you could see the insert. When I belted them with gaffa tape, they lasted approx. 50 runs, before insert was visible.
Old 06-28-2004, 06:45 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to DerekEngland Send a message via Yahoo to DerekEngland

When we were running on carpet we ran pit 20s and 24s. The wear was really pretty good.... you could get about 3-4 months out of a set.... The foams get a lot more grip but they can be chunked pretty easy.... So if you want to keep the long term cost down use a rubber tire.... If you want performance then use a foam tire....

My $0.02 is now at a discount.... $0.005 is about all it's worth....