R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #286
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
Have the shocks changed sine the T2 '009, or can I use the new bladders in my T2 '009 shocks?
They are the same shock so you can use the new bladders in your shocks as a direct replacement
Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet Top View Post
Does anyone have the new T3'o11 shock membrane in stock ( in the US )?
Not until mid to end of November.
Old 10-27-2010, 04:21 PM   #288
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
Not until mid to end of November.
It sure is nice living 20 minutes from R/C america! I have the conversion parts on back order and they usually come in with the 2nd shipment of cars.
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 05:22 PM   #289
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoherty View Post
It sure is nice living 20 minutes from R/C america! I have the conversion parts on back order and they usually come in with the 2nd shipment of cars.
Thanks for rubbing it in Andrew How you been?
Old 10-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #290
Tech Elite

Not too shabby. I've been running sedan more. We made 3-4 changes at our track that have brought traction from acceptable to great. Were covering the carpet with a tarp every night and spraying traction action. I'm learning so much I never had a chance to learn before because we now have grip which IMHO magnifies set up changes. My 12th is $$ with the grip. Hows WCRC?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #291
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

How much traction action are you using for the track?
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #292
Tech Elite

Quote:
Not too shabby. I've been running sedan more. We made 3-4 changes at our track that have brought traction from acceptable to great. Were covering the carpet with a tarp every night and spraying traction action. I'm learning so much I never had a chance to learn before because we now have grip which IMHO magnifies set up changes. My 12th is $$ with the grip. Hows WCRC?
That's awesome to hear, there's nothing like not having to worry about grip and you're right grip definitely magnifies set up changes. WCRC is WCRC...they are TRYING to convince more guys to race there. Between a track in Camarillo, TQ Raceway, occasionaly CAL Raceway and traveling to races I stay pretty busy. You gonna have a chance to do the 'Birds next year?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #293
Tech Elite

Quote:
Andrew, could you share everything your track is doing to increase grip? I've got a new carpet track an hour from me that is trying to build grip quickly. So far all they have done is spray. I'm assuming the tarp helps keep the carpet warm?

Thanks!
Robbie
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #294
Tech Elite

No birds, but I am hoping for Vegas and maybe asphalt nats again. I got pwned in 12th and I need redemption. I am clear for Vegas with Jenny and I have the $$ and tix set aside. I just gotta cross my fingers the dates work. I might have to show up Tuesday nite, but if I can I am going. Or I might try carpet nats. Thats a wait and see though...
Old 10-27-2010, 08:51 PM   #295
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
No birds, but I am hoping for Vegas and maybe asphalt nats again. I got pwned in 12th and I need redemption. I am clear for Vegas with Jenny and I have the $$ and tix set aside. I just gotta cross my fingers the dates work. I might have to show up Tuesday nite, but if I can I am going. Or I might try carpet nats. Thats a wait and see though...
Or just do both...

Tell Jenny my wife will be at both of them.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #296
Tech Elite

Here's some back ground...

Our 100x60 carpet is about 6 years old and has shared a large building with an off-road track its whole life. The dust accumulation is incredible as here in Texas the dirt dries out quickly and the dust floats EVERYWHERE. We also share the space with a lot of heli and plane guys who walk on the carpet to retrieve their planes and kids who think the track is a McDonalds play ground. We usually have anywhere from 6 to 30 entries. Anytime we used to have enough drivers to get a groove, it would disappear the next day as the sauce evaporated and the dust from the weekly floor and shop sweeping settled on the carpet.

Here are the things we've changed that have made racing 10x better.

-We built an on-road only drivers stand on the other side of the track.
-We started racing on less carpet; about 80x40. Less carpet requires less foam and sauce to develop a groove.
-We made barriers to inhibit random walkers from shortcutting across the track
-I built a mobile PVC timing bridge that can be removed when the track gets covered.
-I vacuum 2-4 times a month off the line (NOT on the line) to make sure cars who go off-line don't bring as much dust onto the groove.

THE BIGGEST 2 THINGS
-I bought two 100x20 roofing tarps and taped them together using gorilla tape to make a 100x40 cover. The tarps about about $95 each and are 6 mil black plastic

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I trimmed the final tarp to fit our track. When we are using the track, the tarp is folded lengthwise 4 times which reduces it to about 6x40 which stays at an used end of the track. If you go to www.mikeshobbyshop.com and click on track cam on the left and then choose carpet track you can see live video of the track. Each time a racer is done practicing or we are done racing we recover the track. One person can do it in about 8 minutes, or two people do it in ab out 2 minutes. We settled on folding it rather than rolling it to minimize contact between the "clean" side of the tarp and the "dirty" side.

We used to blow the dust off our cars in puffs after a run, but now the cars stay clean and we actually are now blowing foam off the cars.. You can see how much dust stays off the carpet now by noting the obvious tan shade on the top side of the tarp and the jet black under side. The proof lies in the groove that stays in the carpet all week and gets faster every time we run on it. We have only had this system in place for about a month, and it has been faster every day I go out. I practice from 6 pm to about 3 am once a week and then we race on Sundays.

-I sprayed traction action mixed with acetone once or twice heavily the first three times I practiced when I first installed the tarp. I sprayed the whole track straights and turns with a 4/1 acetone/TA solution and then ran on it immediately with white rear tires on my 12th for 8 minutes. The car is about a half second faster for 1 minute, and then it plateaus. After 1 run like that with just me out there by myself I can see a groove. It keeps getting darker the rest of the night even without spraying and is about 3 tenths faster as compared to pre spray conditions.

I think the biggest advantages of the tarp is
-When people walk on the track during the week when there is no one there to ask them not to walk in the groove they don't track dust onto the carpet.
-The track doesn't have air moving over the track evaporating the groove we worked hard to get laid down
-Dust doesn't end up buried in the carpet.

Later this season we will testing a small section of the carpet to see if a steam cleaning will lift the carpet off the asphalt. If it doesn't we are going to have the carpet professionally steam cleaned to get the 6 years worth of dust out.

I wrote too much, but you get the idea.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #297
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Could you repeat that...

Nice post thanks.

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #298
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammincrtjames View Post
How much traction action are you using for the track?
We tried spraying about 2 years ago with straight traction action and after 1 or 2 applications we had BAD glazing on foam and rubber tires so we stopped. Since we have been covering the track and cutting the TA with acetone we only get glazing on the rubber tires with the rookies who never clear their tires. If you motor spray the tires after each run they don't glaze. I have stopped spraying it on our current layout and the track continues to get faster. I expect it to even out eventually.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #299
Tech Elite

Quote:
Here's some back ground...

Our 100x60 carpet is about 6 years old and has shared a large building with an off-road track its whole life. The dust accumulation is incredible as here in Texas the dirt dries out quickly and the dust floats EVERYWHERE. We also share the space with a lot of heli and plane guys who walk on the carpet to retrieve their planes and kids who think the track is a McDonalds play ground. We usually have anywhere from 6 to 30 entries. Anytime we used to have enough drivers to get a groove, it would disappear the next day as the sauce evaporated and the dust from the weekly floor and shop sweeping settled on the carpet.

Here are the things we've changed that have made racing 10x better.

-We built an on-road only drivers stand on the other side of the track.
-We started racing on less carpet; about 80x40. Less carpet requires less foam and sauce to develop a groove.
-We made barriers to inhibit random walkers from shortcutting across the track
-I built a mobile PVC timing bridge that can be removed when the track gets covered.
-I vacuum 2-4 times a month off the line (NOT on the line) to make sure cars who go off-line don't bring as much dust onto the groove.

THE BIGGEST 2 THINGS
-I bought two 100x20 roofing tarps and taped them together using gorilla tape to make a 100x40 cover. The tarps about about $95 each and are 6 mil black plastic

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I trimmed the final tarp to fit our track. When we are using the track, the tarp is folded lengthwise 4 times which reduces it to about 6x40 which stays at an used end of the track. If you go to www.mikeshobbyshop.com and click on track cam on the left and then choose carpet track you can see live video of the track. Each time a racer is done practicing or we are done racing we recover the track. One person can do it in about 8 minutes, or two people do it in ab out 2 minutes. We settled on folding it rather than rolling it to minimize contact between the "clean" side of the tarp and the "dirty" side.

We used to blow the dust off our cars in puffs after a run, but now the cars stay clean and we actually are now blowing foam off the cars.. You can see how much dust stays off the carpet now by noting the obvious tan shade on the top side of the tarp and the jet black under side. The proof lies in the groove that stays in the carpet all week and gets faster every time we run on it. We have only had this system in place for about a month, and it has been faster every day I go out. I practice from 6 pm to about 3 am once a week and then we race on Sundays.

-I sprayed traction action mixed with acetone once or twice heavily the first three times I practiced when I first installed the tarp. I sprayed the whole track straights and turns with a 4/1 acetone/TA solution and then ran on it immediately with white rear tires on my 12th for 8 minutes. The car is about a half second faster for 1 minute, and then it plateaus. After 1 run like that with just me out there by myself I can see a groove. It keeps getting darker the rest of the night even without spraying and is about 3 tenths faster as compared to pre spray conditions.

I think the biggest advantages of the tarp is
-When people walk on the track during the week when there is no one there to ask them not to walk in the groove they don't track dust onto the carpet.
-The track doesn't have air moving over the track evaporating the groove we worked hard to get laid down
-Dust doesn't end up buried in the carpet.

Later this season we will testing a small section of the carpet to see if a steam cleaning will lift the carpet off the asphalt. If it doesn't we are going to have the carpet professionally steam cleaned to get the 6 years worth of dust out.

I wrote too much, but you get the idea.
Ain't it nice when hard work pays off Nice work!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 AM   #300
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Andrew I'm up at 2 am trying to figure out how thick 6 mil is and how thick it really needs to be. The price drops considerably for 3 or 4 mil and even more for 2 mil. It's not like we need it to stop falling meteors...or even foot traffic for that matter. For reference a Hefty Steel Sak trash bag is 1.5-1.7 mil.

-rocky b
flatspunout is offline   Reply With Quote