R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #166
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I also use scales as a double-check to my tweak station and on-track feel.

Your left/right split is a little higher than I like to use, which will make your tweak station indicate the way it is, even with equal ride-height. I try to keep the left/right percentage closer to .2% difference.

Do you have any room to move your ESC further left? Where's your transponder mounted?

When using scales, my setup order is:

Hudy Balance tool
Ride height/droop [once I have droop set with the ride height I want, I use downstop readings to simplify things a little]
Setup station [camber/toe]
Tweak
Ride height
Setup station
Tweak
Ride height
Scales - If I don't like my numbers here, I'll reposition components or ballast, and start over. I don't use scales at the track, only setup station and tweak station.


On a more selfish note, any idea when we might see the T3'11 stateside? I've been checking US-based online shops for pricing and the ability to pre-order, but nothing yet.
Thanks for the info. Im gonna move some stuff around and see what I can come up with. Your method seems solid..
slashman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:44 PM   #167
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashman4x4 View Post
Thanks for the info. Im gonna move some stuff around and see what I can come up with. Your method seems solid..
No problem, good luck. If you do make spring preload adjustments while the car is on the scales, go in very small amounts, like no more than 1/2 turn. The idea is to get where you want the weights to be, without changing the fundamental setup items.

Also you'll notice that a tweak station normally shows cross-weight, whereas your case shows too much right side weight. If you get that balanced out, the car should be more predictable and even [by just a small amount] over the balancing pins and tweak station readings alone.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #168
Tech Master
 
Drew Ellis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The LOU
Posts: 1,935
Default

Harry

Thank you for that info, this is why I started this thread to get helpful and useful info out to the racers. Racers helping racers.

You methond of checking things is spot on.

Also guys I am hearing that the T3'11 will be coming soon. Around 2 weeks.

Thanks Drew
__________________
RCAMERICA-Xray-Hudy-GravityRC-Kopropo-PROLEVELRC-Team EAM-ORCA-P1Brand-AVID-ProlevelRC Raceway-MOTIV-Max Power America-SRC America
Drew Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 PM   #169
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Thanks Drew.

I've been racing things of all sorts since I was 8 years old [which makes 2 decades now... dang...], and I put a lot of thought into setup and making sensible changes. That means I've sometimes been accused of over-thinking things

Good news on the T3'11 arrival, I have 2 more weeks left here in Norway, so I might be able to arrive around the same time as [or shortly before] my kit.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!

Last edited by HarryLeach; 10-07-2010 at 10:12 PM.
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #170
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Release date?

Any word yet?
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:52 AM   #171
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,468
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

www.Nexusracing.com has them for pre-order $495
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #172
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Ellis View Post
Also guys I am hearing that the T3'11 will be coming soon. Around 2 weeks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Any word yet?
Reading comprehension not your thing, huh?
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #173
Tech Fanatic
 
jammincrtjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Reading comprehension not your thing, huh?
Classic
__________________
NEXUS RACING www.nexusracing.com | FANTOM RACING www.fantomracing.com
ORCA www.orcarc.com | TURTLE TRAX / www.turtletraxraceway.com
--------------------------------------------------
"If you're not first...you're last!"
jammincrtjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #174
Tech Elite
 
JayL's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ca
Posts: 2,880
Default

What is the difference between the roll center mounts in the t3r vs the t3 L ones? and does rotating the t3r ones do anything?
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #175
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
No problem, good luck. If you do make spring preload adjustments while the car is on the scales, go in very small amounts, like no more than 1/2 turn. The idea is to get where you want the weights to be, without changing the fundamental setup items.

Also you'll notice that a tweak station normally shows cross-weight, whereas your case shows too much right side weight. If you get that balanced out, the car should be more predictable and even [by just a small amount] over the balancing pins and tweak station readings alone.
I moved my elecs around last night and and ran all of my weight down the middle and was able to get it balanced/tweaked w/o any weights anywhere else. Ran it today and was really impressed, all I had to do was slightly adjust the rear diff as traction came up. Thanks for all the advice to all that helped the T3 is a pleasure to drive..
slashman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #176
Tech Elite
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,273
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Reading comprehension not your thing, huh?
I didn't see his post, but thanks for pointing that out. Good job.
RCknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #177
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashman4x4 View Post
I moved my elecs around last night and and ran all of my weight down the middle and was able to get it balanced/tweaked w/o any weights anywhere else. Ran it today and was really impressed, all I had to do was slightly adjust the rear diff as traction came up. Thanks for all the advice to all that helped the T3 is a pleasure to drive..
Good deal, glad I was able to help in some way.

Out of curiosity, what did your percentages end up at, and how much total ballast did you need, along with a run down of your electronics package?

I'm changing over from my FK'05 that needed a LOT of ballast added to get a good L/R balance to the T3'11, when I can get my hands one one. The FK doesn't have much room to reposition anything, currently using a JR DS8717 servo, RS Pro, DSM2 spektrum RX [not the micro], and a Redline 17.5, so a little info should help me save a little time.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:55 PM   #178
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,468
Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Good deal, glad I was able to help in some way.

Out of curiosity, what did your percentages end up at, and how much total ballast did you need, along with a run down of your electronics package?

I'm changing over from my FK'05 that needed a LOT of ballast added to get a good L/R balance to the T3'11, when I can get my hands one one. The FK doesn't have much room to reposition anything, currently using a JR DS8717 servo, RS Pro, DSM2 spektrum RX [not the micro], and a Redline 17.5, so a little info should help me save a little time.
Harry,
Just slap that stuff on there and get on the rug. Havent seen you but twice all summer. I feel for you being out of country all the time, and me getting to race every weekend. Sometimes even twice a weekend Just messn with ya. Have a safe trip back, and for the record. TOP car is where its at
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 PM   #179
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarate757 View Post
Harry,
Just slap that stuff on there and get on the rug. Havent seen you but twice all summer. I feel for you being out of country all the time, and me getting to race every weekend. Sometimes even twice a weekend Just messn with ya. Have a safe trip back, and for the record. TOP car is where its at
Lol, like the setup you had on your first TC, that I corrected for you? I distinctly remember telling you "we're not monster truck racin' here"

I considered TOP, briefly, but I guess I'm just an XRay guy at heart, for TC anyways. I really don't have any brand loyalty, the T3'11 just seems like the closest thing to how I would build my own car from scratch. And you know me, price is just a number.

My schedule should be a *little* more predictable this winter, so I plan on being on the rug 3-4 days a week

See you boys in about 2 weeks.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:33 PM   #180
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 78
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Good deal, glad I was able to help in some way.

Out of curiosity, what did your percentages end up at, and how much total ballast did you need, along with a run down of your electronics package?

I'm changing over from my FK'05 that needed a LOT of ballast added to get a good L/R balance to the T3'11, when I can get my hands one one. The FK doesn't have much room to reposition anything, currently using a JR DS8717 servo, RS Pro, DSM2 spektrum RX [not the micro], and a Redline 17.5, so a little info should help me save a little time.

Im running a Futaba s9550 servo with my MRT transponder mounted on its side on to the back of the servo(flush with chassis edge). Im also runnng the RSPro and a standard size RX(spektrum sr300). The elecs were mounted even with the side of the chassis, battery was about 1-2mm inboard from the edge.

I added right around 2.75oz(77.96g) down the middle, under the belt. I moved it around and weighed it until I got the best balance but it was all basically mid chassis. I forgot in the last post but I did add a 1/4oz weight on the side of the servo and another on the back of the servo next to the transponder.

My ratios were:
LF 26.1% RF 23.8%

RR 23.8% RR 26.3%

F/R - 49.9%/50.1%
L/R- 49.9%/50.1%

Total weight is 52.92oz(1500.257g)
Attached Thumbnails
RCAmerica/Xray,Hudy-dscn2047.jpg   RCAmerica/Xray,Hudy-dscn2048.jpg  
slashman4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1/12 forum ovalnator Electric On-Road 46189 12-15-2017 08:13 AM
Schumacher Corner meche Electric On-Road 27727 07-20-2015 08:38 PM
Ask Mike Blackstock Trinity ,Rcamerica, Team Xray Edition.. Mike Blackstock Electric On-Road 225 12-30-2006 06:57 AM
RCAmerica/ Xray / Hudy Mark G Electric On-Road 10 03-15-2006 09:17 PM
RCAMERICA Live Race Coverage @ The Dirt Nitro Challange David Joor Electric Off-Road 40 03-03-2005 12:33 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:08 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net