R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default need help

Guys I want to start racing 1/12 capet.I need a car ,speedcontrol, body. And blushless motor size. And anything else I missed? I do have a spectrum dxr3 and mini reciver.
I like associated and crc 1/12.
LOSIRACER77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

17.5 is a good place to start. You also need a small steering servo, like a Futaba 9650 or BLS651. Get a 1s LiPo, and either a voltage booster or small LiPo or LiFe receiver pack. LiPo compatible charger. For tires, black fronts/orange rears, purple fronts/gray rears, or magenta fronts/pink rears are popular tire choices. If you don't have a tire truer, you'll have to gain access to one in order to true the tires down from the out of the box size.

Just about all of the 1/12 scale kits out now are solid. You can't go wrong with any of them.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #3

Default 1/12

What is the best speedcontrol for a 1/12?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

tekin rs pro...

What came first the chicken or the egg?
revo523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revo523 View Post
tekin rs pro...
waste of money for that application. Normal Tekin RS will work 100% perfectly fine.
- RCSpecialties -
Cpt.America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSIRACER77 View Post
What is the best speedcontrol for a 1/12?
What motor class?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
What motor class?
17.5 1s lipo. Class
Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
waste of money for that application. Normal Tekin RS will work 100% perfectly fine.

+1 most every one in our club uses them.
I will not send Pay Pal as a gift or add fees to the price so DO NOT ASK!
BCbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #9
Regional Moderator

Solid choices for ESCs:

1) Tekin RS - Pros: fast as heck with V2.03 or V2.08 firmware. Small, easy to place in chassis, small capacitor. Highly configurable. Setup support Cons: Requires voltage booster or Rx pack for 1s LiPo use. Highly configurable, which can be overwhelming to a newbie. Requires Hotwire to get the most out of it. V2.08 adds 5 canned timing profiles to simplify setup for newbies. Also has ROAR Spec mode in V2.08 for fixed timing classes. Hardware has survived for 2 years but has been getting faster, all for free.

2) LRP SXX Stock Spec. Pros: small size, canned profiles selectable from buttons. Doesn't require separate Rx pack or voltage booster, since it has built in twin BECs. Cons: current version isn't updatable, but can be made updatable via factory firmware upgrade. Previous ESCs weren't firmware updatable, so required new ESC each time they changed fw to make it faster.

3) Castle Creations Mamba Max Pro 1 cell version. Pros: highly adjustable via CastleLink User interface of CastleLink software is less glitzy, so a little easier to use. Fast. Low cost. Cons: Highly adjustable, much larger than Tekin. Requires voltage booster or Rx pack.

4) Advanced Electronics Black Diamond. Pros: small size, aluminum heat sink case. Medium size capacitor. Cons: V1 isn't as fast as Tekin v2.03 or v2.08 fw. Not user updatable, but free factory update to V2 firmware (requires trip to Sweden for update). Canned profiles, but kind of goofy way to set limited parameters. Requires voltage booster or Rx pack. Expensive.

5) Hobbywing 60A - Not too familiar with it, but a lot of people seem to like it. Updatable firmware. medium sized. I think it requires a booster or Rx pack. Inexpensive.

Last edited by CarbonJoe; 09-22-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

Awesome info CarbonJoe, thanks!! I am also looking into buying a 1/12 car for a local track that just opened. There are so many options for tires, ESCs, etc so I appreciate the info.
Funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

not to hack on this thread but I'm selling my ae12r5.1 with servo, parts, tires and battery for 170 + shipping. can Include duo 2 17.5 and LRP TC.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have Both Crc And Associated. The Associated turns more, And Is fast, But the crc can hold more corner speed and is easier to drive fast, I like The futaba Servos, Tekin Rs Or Lrp. I like The duo2 17.5s They Are Super Fast,
Old 09-23-2010, 11:56 PM   #13

Default speedcontrols

Gets guys what about novak?? The havoc 1s and the kinetic 1s are they any good for 17.5 1/12.?????? Or go with tekin rs and get a reciver pack and what size do I need and brand?????
Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #14
Regional Moderator

Seeing that the Havoc is "legal" for VTA, that means that it doesn't have timing boost, turbo, etc. If you're running at a place that doesn't allow boost/turbo, that ESC will work OK. The Kinetic seems to be getting decent reviews, but I don't know anyone with one, so I can't really comment on it.

The Tekin (with v2.08 firmware) has a ROAR Sportsman spec profile, as well as canned boost profiles. It also allows you to tweak all parameters via a Hotwire. I believe that the Kinetic has this as well.

For an Rx pack, you should get a 2s LiPo or LiFe Rx pack, something around 200mAh will work. To be safe, charge it in between each heat. You just plug it into the battery slot on your radio Rx.