Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
ROAR Approved Chargers >

ROAR Approved Chargers

ROAR Approved Chargers

Old 09-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Tech Master

Definitely need to make sure the meter is reading correctly.

If everyone's battery is reading high, it should raise a red flag
Old 09-18-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Ron Goetter
You can turn off competition mode to lower finish charge voltage back to 8.40.

I would defiantly check your battery voltage with another multimeter to. I've seen multimeter be off by more then .10 before.
Is competition mode (plus charge)? That's the only mode on my charger that has a on/off function.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
Is competition mode (plus charge)? That's the only mode on my charger that has a on/off function.
Yes, comp mode is 100 percent +, meant to reach the extra .04 when allowed
Old 09-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Turn on your car and yank the throttle until you meet the rules. However, at some ROAR races, they may DQ you if you are over voltage when you come to the tech table. What I suggest is to have your own volt meter, and "calibrate" it to what the official meter reads. For example, if the official meter reads your pack at 8.42 volts, but your meter reads 8.40 volts, you better make sure before you go to tech your meter reads 8.38 volts (0.02v "offset" from the official meter).
At this years Carpet Nats I was DQ'd for battery voltage. My own fault because I didn't check before my first qualifier... If you are using a voltmeter I would suggest using the meter that tech is using. As long as you check BEFORE you go through your formal tech inspection and your voltage is to high you can do what you need to get it down with as many checks that you need. In my experience free revving your motor does very little to drop voltage not to mention the possibilty of blowing a rotor up.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Dont give ROAR any ideas, I can see a Novak Roar Approved charger in the works..
Old 09-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by slashman4x4
Dont give ROAR any ideas, I can see a Novak Roar Approved charger in the works..
That right there is the funniest thing I have read in a while...

Later EddieO
Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by EddieO
That right there is the funniest thing I have read in a while...

Later EddieO
Ya, I can see it now, "DQ'd and sent home for using a non-ROAR charger"
Old 09-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Tech Addict

Well I turned the Plus Charge mode off and my batteries came off the charger at 8.4V. I don't understand why they must be at 8.4V and no higher, 8.41V DQ'd.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bubblehead
Well I turned the Plus Charge mode off and my batteries came off the charger at 8.4V. I don't understand why they must be at 8.4V and no higher, 8.41V DQ'd.
If you overcharge lipo batteries too much they can catch on fire and burn down your whole village. The rule is for safety. ROAR's rule is 4.20/8.40v, most others still use 4.22/8.44v. Most agree that either of those limits are well within safety concerns. Is a disqualification neccessary for .1v? Most people think not
Old 09-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by odpurple
If you overcharge lipo batteries too much they can catch on fire and burn down your whole village. The rule is for safety. ROAR's rule is 4.20/8.40v, most others still use 4.22/8.44v. Most agree that either of those limits are well within safety concerns. Is a disqualification neccessary for .1v? Most people think not
Only in ROARs eyes..
Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Tech Elite

most GFX35 charge to 8.44 and 4.22 so if you run with that charger you got to watch out. I have a LRP pulsar 3 and you can adjust that. I saw sean cochran changing his at the IIC in 2009 so he was setting so that when he went to tech that he had it on the button. I know some of the cheaper ones don't have the greatest voltage control. I have seen them be all over the range. if your serious about running roar races then you probably need to get one that allows adjustment just incase you show up to a roar race that has a volt meter that's off. would be nice if roar did post a list of chargers that are SUGGESTED for roar racing. might be a selling point for a charger company.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Having been a past "victim" of the overcharging craze with NIMH packs, I say that ROAR had very good reason for taking a safe stance with lipos when they made their original call on maximum allowable voltages for events.

Besides OD (and at the really big events), I rarely see anyone charging their packs in an approved lipo sack. All the more reason for ROAR to be more so on the safe side.

And Bubblehead only having fifty-some posts on RCTech also gives me reason for additional concern. He may well be a newbie and likely should not be pushing lipo charging limits with such limited experience. BH should otherwise be working on his driving skills to obtain optimum results.

Bill
Old 09-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Still Bill

And Bubblehead only having fifty-some posts on RCTech also gives me reason for additional concern. He may well be a newbie and likely should not be pushing lipo charging limits with such limited experience. BH should otherwise be working on his driving skills to obtain optimum results.

Bill
Ron's been around for awhile, just never got into the internet crap. He is new to lipo and trying to figure everything out. Since we don't normally tech for battery voltage (or anything else for that matter ) he had questions about voltage and charger abilities/defects.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Having been a past "victim" of the overcharging craze with NIMH packs, I say that ROAR had very good reason for taking a safe stance with lipos when they made their original call on maximum allowable voltages for events.

Besides OD (and at the really big events), I rarely see anyone charging their packs in an approved lipo sack. All the more reason for ROAR to be more so on the safe side.

Bill
More of reader, NOT trying to over charge. That's why I ask the question maybe you should read it.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Looks like you just nominated yourself to be BH's lipo coach...LOL

And I do like your reference to OD in your signature.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.