R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #106
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Ok I got my spring kit today so its tuning time. I cnt believe how fast ABC ships. I only ordered thur night. Amain and some of the others could stand to learn from them. And for $5 too
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #107
Tech Adept

Some pics for you all

Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #108
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Nice Yotahachi!
Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #109
Tech Fanatic

We have a growing group of Goose racers and are moving outdoors soon to do parking lot racing for the summer(we live in upstate New York)

Anyway, some of the guys have already been outside testing their cars at a local parking lot and they are having trouble with the car breaking rear traction and looping when they decellerate for a turn. Is it possible to adjust the diff on this car, to maybe loosen it a little to control this looping problem? Any suggestions?
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #110
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
We have a growing group of Goose racers and are moving outdoors soon to do parking lot racing for the summer(we live in upstate New York)

Anyway, some of the guys have already been outside testing their cars at a local parking lot and they are having trouble with the car breaking rear traction and looping when they decellerate for a turn. Is it possible to adjust the diff on this car, to maybe loosen it a little to control this looping problem? Any suggestions?
I found that when mine was doing this when I first ran the kit I could remedy it by getting more weight on the rear of the car, reducing the rear droop, and going heavier front oil and lighter rear spring. What they are experiencing is weight transfer to the front tires when getting off power.... youll loopty loop if it happens too fast

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 PM   #111
Tech Adept

Any more info on the exotek chassis? will it have an adjustable wheelbase? Does it have adjustable shock positions for the front? When will it be released?
Old 04-24-2011, 06:23 PM   #112
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
If there is interest in these I can probably finish production for early May.
I would be interested in an Exotek chassis if it was available.
tadashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #113
Tech Fanatic

MikeR. I have a couple of suggestions for your upcoming Goose chassis.

(1) Please make the wheelbase adjustable 210-225mm so that we can use some of the beautiful HPI Cup bodies and the Tamiya M series bodies. Both are mostly 225mm wheelbase and the stock Goose chassis is only 210mm which is very limiting.

(2) Have the chassis accommodate different battery layouts; (1) The stock across the chassis layout and (2) inline down the center. This would allow for more tuning adjustments and more balanced weight distribution.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #114
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I finally got around to trying your suggested setup MikeR, the car feels MUCH better now, thanks for the tips! It definitely gave me a good foundation to start with. I'm guessing the cup racer tires aren't the greatest choice for tires are they? I guess that's the price you pay for "scale" looks, lol.
I'm noticing that the car can get out of shape changing directions rather quickly, will a rear swaybar help that?

I agree with everyone else too, if your chassis allows for both 225, and 210 wheelbases, then you can sign me up as a future customer
Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 AM   #115
Tech Elite

For a good RWD car, you need to drop it as far as allowed, make sure you get the rear lower than the front by about 1mm and obviously get the best tires for the surface (actually, this is the first and most important step).

Of course, this is assuming you don't overpower the car which is very easy to do.

Mine drives very well, but then again I am used to driving the old RWD mini cars from Tamiya which didn't have much in the way of tuning for handling purposes.

Back to the goose, I loaded both front and rear with as much weight I could. I also made a custom cradle for the battery and I use a saddle pack so my weight is very close to the center of the car. A battery sitting across that chassis is not a good idea (lesson learned with M02).

The wheelbase is adjustable but not with ABC parts and is a lot of trouble. A custom CF plate can be fabricated that allows the rear/rear suspension block to be moved out enough to offer the 225 wheelbase. This plate goes on top of the chassis bottom plate and you need a longer hingepin and Yokomo SD suspension block (which is lower, to compensate for the extending plate thickness). Too contrived for my taste and driveshafts end up in a very awkward position so I gave it up. It is neater to just redesign the top/bottom chassis plate, but I'll wait for ABC to do it (not sure why they'd do it though, they needn't care for other manufacturer's bodyshells as they have plenty of their own).

Playing with the diff is not going to compensate for the wrong tire choice.

There is no room on the chassis to place a normal battery lengthwise unless the servo/steering assembly are moved on top of the chassis top plate as in the HPI mini 4WD of yore.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 04-25-2011 at 10:29 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #116

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to snrscion Send a message via Yahoo to snrscion

My Goose is still for sell if anyone is interested.
snrscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #117
Tech Fanatic

On abchobbyusa.com under performance parts for the Goose are listed the following: #24155 Hub 5mm
#24156 Hub 6mm
#24157 Hub 7mm

Do these allow you to increase the track width of the car? If so, that might help the handling and make the car more stable in the turns.

Do you need to purchase either the #24147 Dog Bone medium, or the #24148 Dog Bone long for the wide hubs to work on the Rear axle?

Does anyone out there know much about these parts and their effect on the Goose? The ABC site doesn't tell you anything.

ABC Hobby need to have a "tuning" section for both the Goose and the Genetic where they not only list the option parts, but they tell you how they work and so forth.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #118
Tech Fanatic

Boy, this thread has gone quiet!

Anyway, does anyone have any answers to my previous post about the optional hubs and dogbones for the Goose?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 PM   #119
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yeah i love the fact that this is rwd. Great idea on the adjustable wheel base for an exotek chassis. =)
shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #120
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Mongoose

Hi Guys,
To be honest production has been put on hold due to possible lack of interest. If there is truly interest in the conversion then please let me know via the 'notify me' link here;

http://www41.instantestore.net/merch...conversion.cfm

Thanks!!

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote