R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #76
Tech Fanatic

Mr P!nk, did you use the ABC purple and red springs, or the Tamiya ones?

I have the ABC spring set as well. We are racing on carpet at the moment and my car is still stock, and I notice the push you referred to as well. Also when I come off the straight and into a long left hand sweeper the back end wants to "kick out" and drift through the corner and there is a lot of chassis roll it appears. Would the purple springs in the front and the red ones in the rear help to cure that?

Any tuning tips from anyone who races these cars would be greatly appreciated; we currently have four Goose racers who have just started this class and are trying to figure out how to make it handle better, ie, less push, more stable rear end in fast sweepers.

In about a month, weather permitting we will be racing outdoors on asphalt.
Team Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:31 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Mr P!nk, are you there? Anyone with experience with the Goose I would appreciate their advice on how to make it handle better as outlined in my previous post. Please read.

Thank you
Old 04-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #78
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Sorry, I'm tardy to the conversation.
Well, I'm probably not the best person to get setup advice from, in fact I'm in search of the same info you are. I was kind of hopping that someone like MikeR or anyone who's been running this chassis could give some basic setup ideas.
They don't run any M-chassis cars at my local track so I really don't bring it up there to run much, and we finally are starting to see spring in my area so I'm hopeing to get it outside more in the near future.
But to answer your question, I am running the ABC hobby springs on my car, the tamiya ones felt too soft. And since I did change them the car does feel a bit better, but I really haven't driven it enough to know for sure.
Sorry I can't answer your question better, maybe if we keep bumping this thread we'll get someone who's running the car competitively to speak up
Old 04-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #79
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for replying.

Tonight I installed the ABC purple springs in the front and the red ones in the rear like on your car. I will try to test it by this weekend hopefully.

I have found that the optional weight set by ABC seems to help a bit as it puts a little more weight towards the front of the car. I have one weight set installed, but there is a hole for a second weight set, which is what I am going to try next. The car is so rear weight biased that it is the main reason for it's push, etc. By adding the weight sets to the front the goal is to help balance the front-to-rear weight bias as much as possible.

Do you race on carpet or on asphalt? I race on carpet right now, but in a month when the weather is better we will move outdoors for parking lot racing.

MikeR, if you're out there we would appreciate some feedback from you. Also, went to the Exotek site and the Goose chassis conversion is not on it yet; when will it be?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #80
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Real quick set up help for you. I'm using TRF shocks as well so that is helpful for us to compare notes.

front-
5mm ride h
2deg camber
0 tor
yellow springs
50wt oil/ 3 hole piston
outter hole on extotek tower
droop= 20mm, top of axle to ground

rear-
5.5mm ride h
1.5deg cam
stock toe
red springs
50wt oil/ 3 hole piston
inner hole on exotek tower
droop= 21.5mm, top of axle to ground

general-
all weight at the back of chassis, battery, esc etc
abc tires
diff is free but not loose (ABC really needs an alloy dif!)
abc motor
no spacers under the hinge pin blocks
exotek prototype (sorry guys, maybe soon )

Enough rear ride height is critical- too low and too soft will result in rear of chassis hitting the ground. That may be happening to you Lotus and why the rear end is washing out.

When you say the car is pushing is that on corner entry, mid or exit?

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #81
Tech Fanatic

Thanks MikeR

I run 4mm ride height all the way around. Will try your suggestion however of raising it. Curious that you say to put all the weight to the rear; I have observed that the car is already too heavy in the rear, and that is why I have tried to balance it with the option weight set in the front. I also moved the battery to the forward mounting position.

When you say the outer or inner holes on the Exotek shock tower, how does that translate to the stock ABC shock tower?

The yellow springs are stiffer than the purples, right?

Lastly, the push that I experience is mid corner to exit.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:38 PM   #82
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks for a starting point MikeR, one quick question though. You said your using the TRF shocks, but are you using ABC springs, or tamiyas?

I noticed that they are selling alloy diff joints now for the genetic and Goose, not sure if thats what you were refering to when you said alloy diff.
http://02ce3a6.netsolstores.com/alumdeffjoint.aspx
Old 04-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #83
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Lotus View Post
Thanks MikeR

I run 4mm ride height all the way around. Will try your suggestion however of raising it. Curious that you say to put all the weight to the rear; I have observed that the car is already too heavy in the rear, and that is why I have tried to balance it with the option weight set in the front. I also moved the battery to the forward mounting position.

When you say the outer or inner holes on the Exotek shock tower, how does that translate to the stock ABC shock tower?

The yellow springs are stiffer than the purples, right?

Lastly, the push that I experience is mid corner to exit.
I've tried front, mid and rear bias and the rear bias makes for the most planted car especially on corner entry. With the weight like this I can tune the rest of the car to get more responsive handling. The heavy oil and rear ride height helps keep it off the ground.

yellow= aprx 13.5lbs
red= aprx 12 ilbs
purple is much heavier which may be why you are pushing. The yellow spring should let the weight on the front stay on the front tires longer for more front bite. You can try less front droop also to slow the weight transfer to the rear tires. Increased fr camber can help with high speed steering. Def just try 1 or 2 changes at a time. Change, run a few laps, change, run a few laps until the balance is just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr P!nk View Post
Thanks for a starting point MikeR, one quick question though. You said your using the TRF shocks, but are you using ABC springs, or tamiyas?

I noticed that they are selling alloy diff joints now for the genetic and Goose, not sure if thats what you were refering to when you said alloy diff.
http://02ce3a6.netsolstores.com/alumdeffjoint.aspx
Tamiya color coded springs.

Yes, there they are- Thanks!!

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 04-05-2011, 05:38 PM   #84
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the tips Mike; I will try them.

I have the stock Goose shock towers; the front only has one hole and the rear has three holes. The car comes with the rear shock mounted to the middle hole in the rear. Do you have a suggestion for which hole to use for the rear shock?

Also, when you are measuring droop, I assume that is with the car at rest on a flat surface, and you are measuring from the top of the axle to the ground/surface; right? I think the droop is adjusted with those screws in the bottom of the chassis in the front and rear. I'm a "newbie" where droop is concerned, I don't quite understand it.

I am going to start out with the yellow springs in front and the red in the rear as you suggested; and I am going to raise the ride height to 5mm. Are you using the shock collars to adjust ride height?

After I test it that way and check the results, I will try moving the battery to the rear position to see what effect that has. Like you said, one change at a time.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #85
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Just picked up my Goose tonight. Got all the electronics in and running. still need to paint the body. Trying to figure out color. I have the toyota 800. Also another good option for tires and wheels are the sweeps mini wheels and tires. they are the same dia and backspace. (I really HATE glueing tires) cant wait to get this car done and on the track. What are the shocks from that some of you are running on this car?
brettweir78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:00 AM   #86
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettweir78 View Post
Just picked up my Goose tonight. Got all the electronics in and running. still need to paint the body.....
Understand that feeling perfectly, just couldn't wait for the bodywork....
Haahahahaa!!!!
CARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 AM   #87
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:

Also, when you are measuring droop, I assume that is with the car at rest on a flat surface, and you are measuring from...
When the car is at rest; pick it up, the amount of downwards travel the suspension arm/tyre can go.
(eg: front chassis height at rest is at 5mm, but when you pick it up, the tyre keep touching the ground until the front chassis height raise above 8mm. If it last touch on ground was 8mm, you got 8-5=3mm of droop.)

Too much front droop allows the front to raise/lift too much in an acceleration, thus results in more weight transfer to the rear.

No droop? Ain't good. If along the route there is hole(usually lots and lots of them), the tyre will lost contact with the ground cause it can't go down anymore.

my 2Ęs
CARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:03 AM   #88
Tech Fanatic

OK, so using that system, what is the right droop for the Goose? I think MikeR is measuring it while at rest to get 20mm, right?

Also, is the droop adjusted with the screws in the bottom of the chassis?

On the ABC website it says those screws are for changing ride height.

Very confusing
Old 04-06-2011, 10:53 AM   #89
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks for the tips Mike; I will try them.

I have the stock Goose shock towers; the front only has one hole and the rear has three holes. The car comes with the rear shock mounted to the middle hole in the rear. Do you have a suggestion for which hole to use for the rear shock?
Sure no problem. For the rear try the middle. If the steering feels really sensitive you can go in 1 hole BUT if the rear end suddenly breaks loose mid corner then you went too far in.

Quote:
Also, when you are measuring droop, I assume that is with the car at rest on a flat surface, and you are measuring from the top of the axle to the ground/surface; right? I think the droop is adjusted with those screws in the bottom of the chassis in the front and rear. I'm a "newbie" where droop is concerned, I don't quite understand it.
Exactly

Quote:
I am going to start out with the yellow springs in front and the red in the rear as you suggested; and I am going to raise the ride height to 5mm. Are you using the shock collars to adjust ride height?

After I test it that way and check the results, I will try moving the battery to the rear position to see what effect that has. Like you said, one change at a time.
Yes, shock collars are for ride height, don't want to use droop for ride height. Droop should only limit the most downward suspension movement of the arms yet still allow the arms to move up and down freely.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM   #90

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to snrscion Send a message via Yahoo to snrscion

Hi guys I have a brand new Goose never been ran with full carbon chassis and towers that I made for it. Asking for 170. I was going to race it but have no time maybe somebody can put it to good use.

steve
714-767-0191
snrscion is offline   Reply With Quote