R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #166
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Its still in production. They're not as popular as the FWD cars, because those are easy to set up. This car takes a bit more skill.. I have both this and an M06.. I love running both of them..
I got one from TQ. And from my AFX HO days, the BRE Datsun 510 body. After seeing that body for it, I just had to. I'm putting a GTB and 21.5 in it to start.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

I'm an Alfa guy and there is bad blood between Alfa GTV and those 510s. I do like how the Toyota S800 body, very cool looking.

I'm running mine with a 17.5 and it handles the power very well. Right now I'm running the HPI Porsche RSR body, looks pretty sick on the car.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #168
Tech Champion

Quote:
I'm an Alfa guy and there is bad blood between Alfa GTV and those 510s. I do like how the Toyota S800 body, very cool looking.

I'm running mine with a 17.5 and it handles the power very well. Right now I'm running the HPI Porsche RSR body, looks pretty sick on the car.
The HPI RSR is a very nice looking body. I'll have to beat the corners off the MR2 and 510 before I can justify another body though.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 04-17-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: tired typing makes interesting reading
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM   #169
Tech Champion

Ran the Goose for the first time yesterday. On the stock tires and out of the box camber settings, except for changing to 3Racing adjustable shocks, the car had no push problems. It would snap loose in the sweeper and barrel roll though. Weight transfer was a huge issue. I put Ride blue springs (15.6 lb) up front and Ride yellow (14.4) in the rear. The car was still needs heavier shock oil, just not sure how high to go. 30wt isn't doing it. I look back at Mikes settings and will be headed in that direction. In the end we finally tried some Tamiya tires from another racer and got the car to push a little, but it didn't solve the rolling issue. So, we measured Camber. Way off. All 4 wheels different. It was getting late so called it a night.

After track changes:
1. Pulled the 2mm spacer out of the upper rear arm pivot ball, put it in the lower front pivot ball. This widened the front by 4mm.
2. Moved the front 2mm axle spacer from the outside of the axle to the inside to put the front track back to the same width. This narrowed the front 4mm.
3. Left out all 4 upper angled .7mm spacers.
4. Set front camber to -1
5. Set rear camber to -2
6. Do not trust the factory setup.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #170
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Post blink nutz

http://www.abchobbyusa.com/110tiresandwheels.aspx
www.abchobbyusa.com
Follow us in Twitter and Facebook : Abc Hobby USA
ppabalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #171
Tech Champion

Trying a super stiff setup for carpet this week. Trying to get ready to race the M06 crew at our track. Last week the body roll was terrible and the traction roll was really bad. The weight transfer and light 30 Wt. shock oil made the shock rebound too fast and the rear would either snap or the car would traction roll when the weight transfer went from back to front. I'm hoping the car will actually push or drift a little so I can dial it back out. I also pulled the battery mount and just taped in a shorty forward against the upper deck brace to center and lower the mass. I'll have to figure out how much weight I need to add back later. I put in an old Novak SS 21.5 and GTB geared 100/52 64p and it will be quick.

Front:
4mm ride height
-1* Camber
3Racing shocks
2 hole piston
2mm internal limiter
12 mm 3Racing ballcup
70 Wt Losi shock oil.
Ride Blue stripe firm springs (15.6 lb)
2mm droop
0* toe
Thick White sway bar

Rear:
4mm ride height
-2 Camber
3Racing shocks mounted in the top outer shock tower hole
2 hole piston
15 mm 3Racing ballcup
70 Wt Losi shock oil
Ride Yellow strip medium springs (14.4 lb)
1 mm droop
3* toe
Thick White sway bar

Kit tires all the way around.

I hope it works!
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #172
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

You may want to run 0 or even +1 camber in front. Thats what i run on both my goose and M06, to ensure the front pushes
Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #173
Tech Champion

Quote:
You may want to run 0 or even +1 camber in front. Thats what i run on both my goose and M06, to ensure the front pushes
I'll give it a try! Tomorrow is test night and possibly race night.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:58 AM   #174
Tech Champion

Note to self: When the kit springs are heavier than the ones you bought, there is a reason they put the heavier springs there.

I got rid of most of the traction roll and induced some push. The springs I chose to use are not nearly beefy enough for this car to completely eliminate the rolling. After running a really hot lap the car would bottom out halfway through the sweeper and overload the front end instantly, and over goes the car. I'm going back to the kit springs on the front, black 24# and put blue 17# or fluorescent yellow 16.5# in the rear and then try the Red 19.5#. The shock oil was the right choice. Even with the inconsistencies, the car was really fast and you could drive it through the sweeper by letting off to slow slightly then accelerate off the apex instead of full out all the way through, but it cost a couple tenths on each lap. I'm still learning the car, but very, very happy with it.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #175
Tech Champion

Any ideas on an aftermarket bellcrank system? After breaking the upper arm, I tore down the steering as was a little surprised that the steering arm was 2 piece with a collar, but no tension spring. The steering shafts are 3mm x 28 mm, but all of the one that look like they might work, don't list any dimensions. I'm looking for an upgrade, any advice would be great.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #176
Tech Champion

This weeks test: (hopefully that much closer to being stable)

Front:
4mm ride height
-.5 to -1* Camber
3Racing shocks
2 hole piston
2mm internal limiter
12 mm 3Racing ballcup for 4.9mm ballstud
70 Wt Losi shock oil.
Black springs (24 lb)
2mm droop
0* toe
4mm ride height
Thick White sway bar
Sweep 40 premounts (much stiffer sidewall than the kit tires)
35g added to the front between the steering arms.

Rear:
4mm ride height
-2 Camber
3Racing shocks mounted in the top outer shock tower hole
2 hole piston
15mm 3Racing ballcup for 4.9mm ballstud.
70 Wt Losi shock oil
Fluorescent Yellow springs (16.5 lb)
1 mm droop
3* toe
4mm ride height
Thick White sway bar
Sweep 40 premounts

Geared 100/52 64p with a Novak SS21.5 and GTB installed
Savox 0254mg digital servo
KO 210S reciever

Last week lap times went - "10.0, 9.8, 9.7, 9.6, 9.5 (rollover mid sweeper)"
Old 04-27-2012, 06:22 AM   #177
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anybody running the optional gear diff in their goose? I'm trying to determine what a good starting point for oil would be. We don't have a mini class at the local carpet track so it will mostly be driven outside on cement or asphalt.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #178
Tech Champion

I'd probably try 1000 or 2000 to start.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #179
Tech Champion

Along with the last test setup I posted before, the front spring ended up at the yellow 35 lb and the rear ended up at the red 19.5 lb before the car was stable. The Sweep 40s are the hot ticket, they grip like no tomorrow for the whole run. They are buildup magnets, so be prepared to clean track goo off every run. Mine had so much buildup that I thought the tires were shredded from all the nasty ruts and lumps. After cleanup, they looked new and the blue shop cloth was black. The inside front still lifts a little even with the droop cranked down and the heavy spring, so I added 1mm of front droop. After that it was dialing the radio to slow the steering and adjusting the dual rate down until the tail stopped whipping out in the sweeper. As runs got longer and traction came up on the surface, the car still liked to roll occasionally in other areas it never had problems before, but it was due more to too much traction due to buildup on the tires and rubber in the surface and not the settings on the car (driver over confidence). Sidewall gluing will cure that (or just driving around it differently when it starts to happen). The car finally took one too many hits and broke an upper hinge pin mount. Of course the one spare I did not have! I'll be ready for next week when the parts come in. More track testing reports to follow.

Now go find an M06 to go beat up on!
Old 04-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #180
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you using the ABC hobby colored spring set or some other brand?