R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 AM   #1426
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooj View Post
I am considering switching over to Xray and as such need to look the usual spare parts such as arms, castor blocks etc. One of the things that I always get caught out on is spare screws, shims and spacers - especially the ones that get lost after a big accident. How many spare screws, shims and spacers are there left over in the kit? Is it worth buying any spares and if so, which ones would you think are the most useful? I am guessing that it would be the hardware around the inner/outer lower suspension?
You don't really need to buy very many things for this car. Perhaps L and R steering knuckles and slotted pins for the drive shafts. Also, front outdrives for the spool. XRAY cars are very durable. The kit comes with a few spare shims, screws, etc., to get you thru till you discover what you need.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #1427
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
I am considering switching over to Xray and as such need to look the usual spare parts such as arms, castor blocks etc. One of the things that I always get caught out on is spare screws, shims and spacers - especially the ones that get lost after a big accident. How many spare screws, shims and spacers are there left over in the kit? Is it worth buying any spares and if so, which ones would you think are the most useful? I am guessing that it would be the hardware around the inner/outer lower suspension?
Good to hear, we hope you switch i'm sure you wont regret it. You hit the nail on the head as far as spares. For sure the must haves are the steering knuckles, caster blocks, front arms, and rear hubs. As far as spare hardware the kit does not come with much extra. I would definitely recommend getting extra hardware as far as shims and screws. I wish I could give you certain screws that are needed more than others, but I would advise to have different lengths of all types. This is because you change the length of screws for various reasons such as adding shims under camber links etc.

Let us know if you need any help

Hawk
KevinHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #1428
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfong13 View Post
You don't really need to buy very many things for this car. Perhaps L and R steering knuckles and slotted pins for the drive shafts. Also, front outdrives for the spool. XRAY cars are very durable. The kit comes with a few spare shims, screws, etc., to get you thru till you discover what you need.

what i do to prevent losing the pins is that...i dremel it in the middle creating a notch so that the set screw is flushed in and of course, a touch of loctite (blue type). it also prevents from backing out. other than that, yeah, agree with you...L and R steering knuckles along with front and rear C-hubs, but you want more of the front than the rear. also, the inserts that goes into the front C-hub at the top and bottom (if youre not using alloy type steering blocks and/or front C-hubs). oh, dont for get the blades. if youre wondering why the car is acting a bit funny and cant find anything, 9 times out of 10, one of the blades broke off. ive esperienced it myself before.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:19 AM   #1429
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
The kit actually comes with a lot of extra shims and hardware!
Old 02-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #1430
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragont View Post
what i do to prevent losing the pins is that...i dremel it in the middle creating a notch so that the set screw is flushed in and of course, a touch of loctite (blue type). it also prevents from backing out. other than that, yeah, agree with you...L and R steering knuckles along with front and rear C-hubs, but you want more of the front than the rear. also, the inserts that goes into the front C-hub at the top and bottom (if youre not using alloy type steering blocks and/or front C-hubs). oh, dont for get the blades. if youre wondering why the car is acting a bit funny and cant find anything, 9 times out of 10, one of the blades broke off. ive esperienced it myself before.

For those of us too lazy to dremel the pins, Xray sells the pins with a flat spot already machined on them.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #1431
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

thanks for that info, for im sure there are others out there sells the same, but thats a "tid" bit that i'd rather not spend on if able to perform a little of mod to it for yourself...
Old 02-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #1432
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just be carefull not to dremel too much.. as it does tend to weaken the pin slightly.

Or grab some of the TOP uni covers, so even if a pin does come loose, you aren't going to lose it or have it dig into your knuckle.
Gav- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #1433
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Gav-;8642360]Or grab some of the TOP uni covers
QUOTE]

do you have a link to these? I cant seem to find them...
shaggy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:08 PM   #1434
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav- View Post
Just be carefull not to dremel too much.. as it does tend to weaken the pin slightly.

Or grab some of the TOP uni covers, so even if a pin does come loose, you aren't going to lose it or have it dig into your knuckle.
Do they fit on the T3 then ? Had a Photon as my last car and would have kept them if i had have known. Shame there red though
Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #1435
Ooj
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Ooj Send a message via MSN to Ooj

Thank you Everyone for all the replies and advice.

Ironically I can answer the question about the Photon drive shaft covers because I am considering the switch to Xray from HPI/Hotbodies. The Photon covers are a safe way to ensure the pin never leaves the uni's. They are also a popular method of modifying the fragile front TCX bones to steel with a combination of Yokomo/Tamiya, HPI/HB and TOP parts (referred to as Hotomo for fun).

They can be had in red or titanium colour.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...der-Titanium-4

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...n-Holder-Red-4

Pic of them over HB axles with Yokomo bones
http://www.ukrcracer.co.uk//Live/pro...ytop_axles.jpg

I have heard of people using them with the Xray ECS uni's on a TCX and the HB/Xray axles both look about the same size. However I am not 100% sure.
Ooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #1436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

They fit
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #1437
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I use a bit of heatshrink over mine. Never had a problem so far.....
Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM   #1438
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to johnny55

I lost one the other day and dabbed it with ca glue. Just a small drop so that it does not leak, it worked.
Old 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #1439
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Technic View Post
For those of us too lazy to dremel the pins, Xray sells the pins with a flat spot already machined on them.
Can anyone post the correct part number for this? Can't seem to find then anywhere.
I will start my build next week and would love to have this.
I will also order the Photon drive shaft covers for double protection

* NEVERMIND * Found them: http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...305392&x=0&y=0

Last edited by LowBoost; 02-12-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Found item
LowBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #1440
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Xra305392

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBoost View Post
Can anyone post the correct part number for this? Can't seem to find then anywhere.
I will start my build next week and would love to have this.
I will also order the Photon drive shaft covers for double protection

* NEVERMIND * Found them: http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...305392&x=0&y=0
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote