Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM
  #1276  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (16)
 
Still Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 7,379
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Truly, I have used an air pump for years on multiple type of on-road shocks. And I never have had the problems posted here about rebuilding any Xray shocks. Maybe the air pump is the ticket.
Still Bill is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:10 AM
  #1277  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 286
Default

what xray needs to do is post the shock building video they said were going to
We've all been waiting for that for ages

If you have drilled the caps then forget about the bleeding from the bottom thing and just build them up like tamiyas. You need a shock pump because there are plenty of places where air can hide in the xray shocks.

Watch out when drilling the caps though, I had 2 bladders tear from them rubbing on the lip on the underside of the shock cap. I think next time I use them I will use the foams
Which shocks, plastic or alloy ? So you don't use the foams, I've tried both and it does give less rebound without the foam but they feel better with it in.

Truly, I have used an air pump for years on multiple type of on-road shocks. And I never have had the problems posted here about rebuilding any Xray shocks. Maybe the air pump is the ticket.
I use a shock pump, air isn't so much the problem it's getting all four shocks with 25% rebound.
I've just used my car with full rebound for over a year as I can never build them well with less rebound
S.A.W is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 AM
  #1278  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
trerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,817
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
If you have drilled the caps then forget about the bleeding from the bottom thing and just build them up like tamiyas. You need a shock pump because there are plenty of places where air can hide in the xray shocks.

Watch out when drilling the caps though, I had 2 bladders tear from them rubbing on the lip on the underside of the shock cap. I think next time I use them I will use the foams
Use the Tamiya bladders or the new Xray low profile bladders. Wouldn't using foams with a hole drilled in the cap kind of defeat the purpose of the hole?
trerc is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 AM
  #1279  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 286
Default

Originally Posted by trerc View Post
Use the Tamiya bladders or the new Xray low profile bladders. Wouldn't using foams with a hole drilled in the cap kind of defeat the purpose of the hole?
I'll have another go tonight. I have the low profile bladders. What is the point of the foam ? when do you and when don't you use them ?
S.A.W is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM
  #1280  
Tech Master
iTrader: (89)
 
trerc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,817
Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by S.A.W View Post
I'll have another go tonight. I have the low profile bladders. What is the point of the foam ? when do you and when don't you use them ?
The foams are supposed to make rebound more consistent, drilling the caps allows for as little rebound as possible. For medium to high grip tracks I prefer my shocks to be dead or damn close.
trerc is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
  #1281  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (10)
 
Green Machine!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Eastvale, Ca.
Posts: 816
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

I gotta be honest. If it's just me then I'll be humble. I'm "pretty good" with carpet tracks and "ok" with asphault. I feel my car is pretty dialed, couldnt be happier. I've tried everything. Foam, no foam. drilled caps, large/small bladders. I recently gave up on trying to get the shocks at 25%, or 50%, or whatever. My lap times are exactly the same reguardless and now I just quickly bleed them the way I do my other shocks and they truthfully rebound slowly at 100% but still compress all the way just fine. No differance with my driving what so ever. Not saying Hiro, Fred or Hara wouldn't notice a differance driving every day, day in-day out. I'm sure with their track time and tallant they might notice a differance. But for me, I can now bleed my shocks quickly and consistantly...
(just my input)
Green Machine! is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 PM
  #1282  
Tech Apprentice
 
kyle133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Essex Ontario, Canada
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by locked View Post
Apparently. The real question is: Will it go forward or backwards?
thats how ive made my name in onroad damn hobbywing esc
kyle133 is offline  
Old 01-27-2011, 04:47 PM
  #1283  
Tech Apprentice
 
kyle133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Essex Ontario, Canada
Posts: 89
Default

Originally Posted by RobS View Post
Kyle, you got a 3'11??
yes sir! got it a couple weeks ago got tired of going stateside for parts for the tamiya
kyle133 is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 PM
  #1284  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,294
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Not much talk about the T3 '11. New car seems good, but I'm wishing I had back the older T3 steering and post. Oh, I'm in the "Hate Xray shocks" camp right now. I still can't get 0% rebound. Uggg...I do hope they make and release some new shocks soon. Where is the video on how to build them? Must take too long to make. lol That's been like months ago.

Another thing I'm waiting for is a good adjustable graphite battery holder. Something solid and adjustable like the Tamiya.

Any word if Xray has new parts coming for the 2011? Shocks and etc?

Last edited by RCknight; 01-30-2011 at 08:07 PM.
RCknight is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:52 PM
  #1285  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

had some problems with this page, wrote a question but it was deleted.

anyway, here it goes again. took the T3'11 to the local asphalt track. noticed that during long high speed sweeper corner (where the motor is), the chassis would actually scrape the track. i am running the setup as included in the box only change is am running -1 deg camber all round. car handles nicely. decided to increase ride height to 5 mm front and 5.5 mm rear, but still scrapes at least its not scraping the motor anymore. will the graphite motor protector help? any recommendations?. the chassis is quite thin at the motor side, i think its only 1 mm and its scraping right there. thanks all.
rshair is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 07:59 PM
  #1286  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
RCknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,294
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Agreed. Hope to see some of these things sooner than the T3 12'.

Originally Posted by ByteStream View Post
They do not fit more tightly (I have them). If you have slop with the standards you will have slop with these. They do "feel" more solid.

I broke one of the standard ones and to replace it at a cost of $10-$11, so I decided to try these. The only concern I have is if they will act like the old one-peice suspension holder where the screw could rip through the chassis, time will tell.

Add the following to my wishlist for the T3'12/T4

1. Adjustable Lipo Holders to allow for a snug fit.
2. A top deck that does not interfere with motors w/o a bevel at full range.
3. Shocks that are a joy to build.
4. Placement of the servo where you would never have to cut off an ear.
5. Holes around the chassis to mount Xray's own weights.
RCknight is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 PM
  #1287  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 181
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

i think the shocks are ok, only had 1 out of 4 shocks that gave me an issue on getting the rebound i wanted - about 25%, the rest was in the ball park. i am not a racer, i drive for fun so i may not be able to feel the difference between having 25% rebound and having 35% rebound. i am not raving about the shocks but it works for now. if xray comes up with a better one, may be worth a look.
rshair is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:32 PM
  #1288  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,682
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Not much talk about the T3 '11. New car seems good, but I'm wishing I had back the older T3 steering and post. Oh, I'm in the "Hate Xray shocks" camp right now. I still can't get 0% rebound. Uggg...I do hope they make and release some new shocks soon. Where is the video on how to build them? Must take too long to make. lol That's been like months ago.

Another thing I'm waiting for is a good adjustable graphite battery holder. Something solid and adjustable like the Tamiya.

Any word if Xray has new parts coming for the 2011? Shocks and etc?
Weren't you the guy that was all about the dual steering post gotta have it just like the 416/417 bandwagon leader??
Johnny Wishbone is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 08:44 PM
  #1289  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RCknight View Post
Not much talk about the T3 '11. New car seems good, but I'm wishing I had back the older T3 steering and post. Oh, I'm in the "Hate Xray shocks" camp right now. I still can't get 0% rebound. Uggg...I do hope they make and release some new shocks soon. Where is the video on how to build them? Must take too long to make. lol That's been like months ago.

Another thing I'm waiting for is a good adjustable graphite battery holder. Something solid and adjustable like the Tamiya.

Any word if Xray has new parts coming for the 2011? Shocks and etc?
Xray make aluminium shocks which all the team drivers seem to use. There is some good info on both how to build the plastic shocks and the benefit of the alloys on the xray forum

http://forum.teamxray.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11104

Originally Posted by rshair View Post
had some problems with this page, wrote a question but it was deleted.

anyway, here it goes again. took the T3'11 to the local asphalt track. noticed that during long high speed sweeper corner (where the motor is), the chassis would actually scrape the track. i am running the setup as included in the box only change is am running -1 deg camber all round. car handles nicely. decided to increase ride height to 5 mm front and 5.5 mm rear, but still scrapes at least its not scraping the motor anymore. will the graphite motor protector help? any recommendations?. the chassis is quite thin at the motor side, i think its only 1 mm and its scraping right there. thanks all.
That's pretty standard, I wouldn't worry too much about it if it's handling good. If you have plenty of grip you could try some changes that would make it roll less like going to the +0.75 roll centres or harder sways/springs
CraigM is offline  
Old 01-30-2011, 09:19 PM
  #1290  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
ByteStream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 5280 Raceway
Posts: 1,146
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rshair View Post
had some problems with this page, wrote a question but it was deleted.

anyway, here it goes again. took the T3'11 to the local asphalt track. noticed that during long high speed sweeper corner (where the motor is), the chassis would actually scrape the track. i am running the setup as included in the box only change is am running -1 deg camber all round. car handles nicely. decided to increase ride height to 5 mm front and 5.5 mm rear, but still scrapes at least its not scraping the motor anymore. will the graphite motor protector help? any recommendations?. the chassis is quite thin at the motor side, i think its only 1 mm and its scraping right there. thanks all.
Some thoughts ...

If you decided to increase the ride height to 5/5.5, what were you running before? (I'm not surprised it scraped). I run 5mm on carpet and would think that you would be higher than that for asphalt.

I would also think that the motor protector would make the issue worse, the chassis is quite narrow and if you are scrapping it, then you would most likely scrape the motor protector as well, the protector extends out further during the roll of the car. If it scrapes then it affects the handling of your car.

What are you running for droop?
ByteStream is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.