Search
Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Parts for T3 2011 EW servo placement

I would like to use the 2mm Xray or Smokem lower deck for my T3 2011, but need advice on how to convert to a EW servo placement please.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vadersing
I would like to use the 2mm Xray or Smokem lower deck for my T3 2011, but need advice on how to convert to a EW servo placement please.

Thanks
Drill a 2nd hole in the right arm of the steering rack to add another ballstud, then line up your servo on the chassis and either glue it on, or mark out a hole and drill/countersink a hole on the inside near the topdeck for mounting. I use one post and shoe goo and it has never broken free. I trimmed the left side servo mounts off the case because I didn't like the way it looked and cases are cheap
Old 07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What can make a car noisy? When I first got the car it was whisper quiet. I changes the pinion gear but now it is noisy. It sounds like the gear mesh is too tight but it isn't.

Car runs smooth, it just is noisy. There isn't too much slop in the drivetrain or other parts.

Could switching pinioned make the car noisy? As if the spur was worn in to the old pinion or something like that?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mera'din
What can make a car noisy? When I first got the car it was whisper quiet. I changes the pinion gear but now it is noisy. It sounds like the gear mesh is too tight but it isn't.

Car runs smooth, it just is noisy. There isn't too much slop in the drivetrain or other parts.

Could switching pinioned make the car noisy? As if the spur was worn in to the old pinion or something like that?
Change your pinion back and see if the car quiets down. If so, it's the pinion. Did you accidently put a metric pinion on there?
Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by samnelso
Change your pinion back and see if the car quiets down. If so, it's the pinion. Did you accidently put a metric pinion on there?
Metric? Isn't 64p the same as all other 64p? I used the same brand as the last pinion i had on there.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Yes, a bad pinion or spur can make a car sound terrible. Just check there are no little stones in the gears also. Sometimes pinions are out of round and the mesh can get tighter and looser as it rotates. I have had some cheap pinions make awful noises before.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Metric? Isn't 64p the same as all other 64p? I used the same brand as the last pinion i had on there.
No. Compare a 64p Tamiya gear to another brand, you'll see they are different.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:31 PM
Tech Master

Hmm, I have been using robinson racing pinions. Same brand on both. How can you tell the difference?

In my VTA car I am running a Spec R gear and it has always been noisy. I just thought it was the gear. What pinion brand should I run in that?

In my 17.5 sedan I am running the Xray spurs. Will robinson racing pinions work with those?

I have never seen anything other than 64 pitch and 48 pitch myself.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 AM
Tech Elite

Hmm, I have been using robinson racing pinions. Same brand on both. How can you tell the difference?

In my VTA car I am running a Spec R gear and it has always been noisy. I just thought it was the gear. What pinion brand should I run in that?

In my 17.5 sedan I am running the Xray spurs. Will robinson racing pinions work with those?

I have never seen anything other than 64 pitch and 48 pitch myself.
Its not so much the brand but the specification of the gear. If your looking at 48 pitch you can just about spot it just by looking as the metric (some times refered to as .04 or mod 4) gears will look slightly finer. Its very hard to spot the difference between the 64 pitch gears, one way to tell is to compare two gears with the same number of teeth as they will have a different diamater.

I've been using Robinson and XRAY gears for some time, with XRAY Spurs with no problem.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nerdling
Its not so much the brand but the specification of the gear. If your looking at 48 pitch you can just about spot it just by looking as the metric (some times refered to as .04 or mod 4) gears will look slightly finer. Its very hard to spot the difference between the 64 pitch gears, one way to tell is to compare two gears with the same number of teeth as they will have a different diamater.

I've been using Robinson and XRAY gears for some time, with XRAY Spurs with no problem.
i agree, there are certain brand of pinions there that have "better" metrics or that really works well with specific spurs. I have used tamiya pinions on both my 09 and 12 and they tend to "eat" or leave marks on the xray spurs. I wasted 4 xray spurs, suing a tamiya pinion, before i completed a 5 minute run with my 09 when i first got the kit way back.

So far, what has worked best for me are HPI and Xenon pinions. I have also changed to Spec R spur gears for the reason that Spec R produces odd numbered spurs which gives me the option to be really specific with my FDR.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I use RW racing spurs and pinions, and people always comment how quiet my car is. Mis-matched pinion/spur gear is the number one cause for a noisy car, and noise = loss of Efficiency
The trinity pinions seem really good too, using one at the moment and it is very nice. The robinson racing pinions are a pain as they use imperial grub screws, and seem noisy compared to other brands i have used
Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Drill a 2nd hole in the right arm of the steering rack to add another ballstud, then line up your servo on the chassis and either glue it on, or mark out a hole and drill/countersink a hole on the inside near the topdeck for mounting. I use one post and shoe goo and it has never broken free. I trimmed the left side servo mounts off the case because I didn't like the way it looked and cases are cheap
Dont want to drill holes and glue, is there a list of part numbers/parts to convert to e/w servo mount?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

Default re east west

you need to drill one hole about 10mm behind steering post holes then can use xray 306220 servo mount and t3 12 arm 302526 or drill tap extra hole in 11arm
main issue no stock of either part in aust for 2weeks.
pm as i have smokem chassis with correct holes we could copy
Old 07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotrod1933
you need to drill one hole about 10mm behind steering post holes then can use xray 306220 servo mount and t3 12 arm 302526 or drill tap extra hole in 11arm
main issue no stock of either part in aust for 2weeks.
pm as i have smokem chassis with correct holes we could copy
i've got the smokem chassis, and using servo mounts off an eagle racing drift chassis that fit the part exactly. looking to see if there is existing arm that doesnt require drilling/tapping

what part numbers are you using
Old 07-21-2012, 05:44 AM
Tech Regular

Default re arm

you either need xray 302526 but not stock or drill tap existing arm
i will show you tomorrow 2 minute job to do

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.