Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Old 01-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrjeremyaaron
when you refer to 3.5, does this mean 24 pinion / 84 spur, or do you also need to take the internal drive ratio into account to arrive at this figure?

reason being that I bought a 44 pinion and 74 spur today thinking that this would be close (by my calculations FDR of around 3.2) only to to find that they don't fit into the chassis together without fairly serious modifications taking place...
FDR is calculated by Spur/Pinion*Internal Ratio. So your calculation was correct, 74/44*1.9 = 3.2 FDR.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default where oh where..?

Ok, so has anyone got a suggestion on where to mount the transponder on these damn things..? Pics..?
Old 01-25-2012, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

Ok, so has anyone got a suggestion on where to mount the transponder on these damn things..? Pics..?
cut out abit of the bumper and put it just under the top bumper holder using double sided tape....or if you have room on top of your servo....
Attached Thumbnails Xray T3 2011-transponder-large-.jpg  

Last edited by blade072; 01-25-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade072
cut out abit of the bumber and put it just under the top bumper holder using double sided tape....or if you have room on top of your servo....

aahhhh....

thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 01:16 AM
Tech Elite

Hey guys,

What kind of tape are you using for the 2012 servo position? I tried 2 different kinds of double side tapes, but when I turn the wheels left and right on that car, the servo moves a little because the double sided tape is flexing.
I'm scared that this will take some steering response away.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 AM
Con
Tech Adept

Use sho goo.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

X2 on the Goo. I used some tape to get it to stay in place and then but a small bead of goo around 3 sides of the servo. I didn't do the side close to the top deck as I couldn't reach it. The hardest part was letting it sit while the goo dried!

I absolutely love the cars handling after making the change. So much easier to set and it may be in my head, but the connection between input and the car seems more solid.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by morgoth
Hey guys,

What kind of tape are you using for the 2012 servo position? I tried 2 different kinds of double side tapes, but when I turn the wheels left and right on that car, the servo moves a little because the double sided tape is flexing.
I'm scared that this will take some steering response away.
I use the 3m double tape, the greyish one it hold's very well I have seen some people that have used shogoo and they have had a hit and the servo has ripped because there is not much flex in it but the double tape is more flexy but still very stable.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Tech Addict

On top of the steering servo. I had it mounted on the front bumper but was a pain when servicing the front diff or taking the front bulkheads off as it always got in the way. On top of the servo works perfectly, when you have the 2012 servo turn mod done of course!
Old 01-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kinga
On top of the steering servo. I had it mounted on the front bumper but was a pain when servicing the front diff or taking the front bulkheads off as it always got in the way. On top of the servo works perfectly, when you have the 2012 servo turn mod done of course!
just took mine out to use in another car...only had to undo the 2 screws and
take it out....took less than 30 seconds lol....never had an issue with it getting in the way either...
Old 01-27-2012, 01:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by blade072
just took mine out to use in another car...only had to undo the 2 screws and
take it out....took less than 30 seconds lol....never had an issue with it getting in the way either...
I hated it on the front bumper, it always ran close to the front diff, you can see in the pic how close it runs to the front diff and belt, too close for comfort for a $100 transponder.
Then there is the issue of removing the front bulkhead, if the wire gets tweaked or caught when pulling it in or out, transponder wire cut again. If you run it thorugh the hole in the bulkhead you cant remove it with out removing the transponder, another PIA. on top of the servo it is static and there is no need to touch it or remove it.
I guess if you do want to move it from car to car and are prepared for the wear and tear of removing it all the time it is ok
Old 01-27-2012, 01:21 AM
Tech Elite

I hated it on the front bumper, it always ran close to the front diff, you can see in the pic how close it runs to the front diff and belt, too close for comfort for a $100 transponder.
Then there is the issue of removing the front bulkhead, if the wire gets tweaked or caught when pulling it in or out, transponder wire cut again. If you run it thorugh the hole in the bulkhead you cant remove it with out removing the transponder, another PIA. on top of the servo it is static and there is no need to touch it or remove it.
I guess if you do want to move it from car to car and are prepared for the wear and tear of removing it all the time it is ok
been racing for 20 years mate...its the least of my problems ...the pics are deceiving...its not as close as you think...i normally dont take it out...its only for an enduro we are having so the guy im racing with has a personal in his car.......also could always get the new vbc racing front plate with transponder holder
Old 01-27-2012, 01:35 AM
Tech Elite

Mount it on the front bumper, but make the wire for it go under the diff etc, that way when you change spools or diff it won't have to move at all.

The photo was taken for something else but you can see the wire passing under everything.

Old 01-27-2012, 02:54 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks Skiddins, always valid comments. Definitly a better cable route option under the bulkhead.
Here is the way I run it on the servo. I had to remove the front bulkheads and lower suspension mounts after a broken belt during the recent Queensland State titles and the extra minute or two involved in removing the transponder and putting it back in almost made me miss the A final. had to throw the car down and run up to the drivers stand. Seconds can count in major events. I swore not to run it in that configuration again and put it on the servo, never looked back.
Does the extra distance forward make any difference in lap timing? Has anyone lost/won a race due to the transponder being forward or back?
Attached Thumbnails Xray T3 2011-2012-01-27-19.18.33-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Tech Elite

Does the extra distance forward make any difference in lap timing? Has anyone lost/won a race due to the transponder being forward or back?
Yes, and yes!

I always used to run it on the servo as well, made wiring neater and shorter etc.
But I have now had door to door races with several people and out of the final corner we've both gone over the line side by side, but I got the result because my transponder was further forward

The black stuff holding the wire is folded over servo tape and despite how it looks, it doesn't touch or go near anything that rotates or slides or moves etc.

Skiddins

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.