R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-04-2011, 07:35 PM   #3766
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
I drove my Xray 2011 for the second time today. Unfortunately I can't get the car the way I want it. It has waaaaay too much steering. I'm a persoon who likes a lot of steering but it's kinda insane now.

I was running 450 in all my shocks and the long wheelbase in the front. L1+L2 in the inner upper position, inner position on the rear hub. I was driving op LRP CPX tires.

With 3 holes open on each shock but the car was too responsive and had too much steering. I tried the car with 3 holes open in the front and 4 in the rear but that didn't go so well. The rear end hadn't enough damping. Then I tried 2 holes in the front and 3 in the back and it was better. I also added an other shim (2mm total) where the camberlink is mounted to the steering blocks. I didn't notice too much difference but my mate told me that the car would have less roll. And the most important thing was to smooth only the half innerside of the tire. (I used Reinhard carpet additive, which is pretty good compared to LRP carpet smoothing)

My car turns in great and the exit is pretty good, except is you push it a little too hard you can start sliding, but as soon as I release the throttle in mid corner, the backend starts to slide.
When I drive with my friends cars (2010 & 2012) this doesn't happen and the cars steer less.
I'm a seriously doubting on cutting my top deck, but I think the issue is somewhere else located.
My toe values were 0.75 out at the front and 3 in the back. Camber 1 front and 2 rear. Ride height 5.3mm front, 5.4mm rear (also tried equal ride height but that didn't help the extremely loose backend problem).

I qualified as 9th in the A main final and ended up as 3th, but I'm not convinced that the car was great. Although I'm happy with my results since I started driving TC about 1 month ago, but I have driven before on carpet with my 1/10 buggy. It actually feels like a lazy TC that likes some jumps
Rear Diff = Ball Diff/Gear Diff? Gear diff filled with what?
Lycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #3767
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

morgoth, running any swaybars?

I went through a lot of setup changes saturday to try and find the changes I needed to make from my asphalt setup that I was very happy with. I ended up running the kit front sway, no rear sway, 300cst oil all around, 3 hole pistons, and the -0.75 rear suspension arm holders. I'm still looking for a bit more rear grip and more overall side bite on the spec tires we're running on the low-mid grip carpet, but I ended the day with a more drivable car. The biggest change was dropping to the 300cst oil from the 450cst I was running, the car just wouldn't stick mid corner with the heavier oil, and adding the front sway back on, previously wasn't running any swaybars, to make the steering less abrupt.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 AM   #3768
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan View Post
Rear Diff = Ball Diff/Gear Diff? Gear diff filled with what?
Geardiff filled with 1000cts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
morgoth, running any swaybars?

I went through a lot of setup changes saturday to try and find the changes I needed to make from my asphalt setup that I was very happy with. I ended up running the kit front sway, no rear sway, 300cst oil all around, 3 hole pistons, and the -0.75 rear suspension arm holders. I'm still looking for a bit more rear grip and more overall side bite on the spec tires we're running on the low-mid grip carpet, but I ended the day with a more drivable car. The biggest change was dropping to the 300cst oil from the 450cst I was running, the car just wouldn't stick mid corner with the heavier oil, and adding the front sway back on, previously wasn't running any swaybars, to make the steering less abrupt.
Yes, I'm running the kit swaybars. I tried softer oil, but that makes my car overreacting and less forgiving. And the car starts to wobble a lot in fast corner. The car drove more stable with a bit thicker oil.
I haven't tried other camber links/roll center since it was a lot of work to change them and I had no idea what to expect.
I really need to go the track and do some testing Unfortunately I don't have the time to do that right now, so I prefer to go to a race event instead of practice.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #3769
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Holy Crap!!! I gotta eat my words here and appologize to those of you who told me to go back to the kit setup.
Maybe next time you won't wait several weeks to listen to us.

Just kidding, I am glad it worked out for you.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #3770
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Exotek Steering

Thanks for your help guys on the exotek steering center link. However, I was never able to get it right. I took it off and went back to the xray center link (which BTW doesn't bind like the exotek part) and drilled the arm like the '12. Steering is perfect now; symetrical with full travel.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #3771
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hey guys
looking for the rubber tire carpet set up that came with the kit, cant find it on the xray site??? can someone post a link
thanks
chris
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #3772
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post
hey guys
looking for the rubber tire carpet set up that came with the kit, cant find it on the xray site??? can someone post a link
thanks
chris
http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...8&catName=XRAY T3 2011 Specs
Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 PM   #3773
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

bigz
thanks for the quick reply, i may be wrong but i thought one of them said basic rubber tire carpet???
thanks again
chris
Old 12-06-2011, 09:23 PM   #3774
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris08527 View Post
bigz
thanks for the quick reply, i may be wrong but i thought one of them said basic rubber tire carpet???
thanks again
chris
i now the '12 does, but the '11 is carpet/asphalt combined. I didn't see anything that came w/ the kit that said otherwise.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:17 AM   #3775
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Thanks for your help guys on the exotek steering center link. However, I was never able to get it right. I took it off and went back to the xray center link (which BTW doesn't bind like the exotek part) and drilled the arm like the '12. Steering is perfect now; symetrical with full travel.
I'm about to do this mod too, just by drilling the arm. So, you went back to original '11 centre link? How long is your link from servo to arm? Total length or middle of hole to middle of hole??

To anyone else as well - Is there any point in buying the '12 arms. It's the same, just with a hole in it isn't it? (Apart from the L shape bit that needs to be ground off).
Old 12-07-2011, 06:34 AM   #3776
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post
I'm about to do this mod too, just by drilling the arm. So, you went back to original '11 centre link? How long is your link from servo to arm? Total length or middle of hole to middle of hole??

To anyone else as well - Is there any point in buying the '12 arms. It's the same, just with a hole in it isn't it? (Apart from the L shape bit that needs to be ground off).
steering arms are the same, just with the holes drilled.
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:41 AM   #3777
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Lord View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
steering arms are the same, just with the holes drilled.
The new arms are actually slightly thicker.

Presumably to increase the strength where the second hole is close to the first.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #3778
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thanks to both. I guess run with the '11 arms and upgrade if/when they break. I've already ground off the extra tab, so there's no going back with the existing '11 arm now anyway.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:36 PM   #3779
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Does any one know what the min weight is for 10th scale touring car sedan rubber tire. I'm at 968 g.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #3780
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Does any one know what the min weight is for 10th scale touring car sedan rubber tire. I'm at 968 g.
1380 g.