R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #3586
Tech Addict
 
kinga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 600
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Depends on what motor you are running. THe spec-r ones are only rated down to 10.5 turn motor, so if you run them in mod you are going to blow them out. I only run 17.5 blinky.
I have run these in the front for about 6 months with no issue
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=21442
Rebuild them often and keep them clean and you wont have too many issues

Ranthese in the back for about the same time with no issue
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=22106
I find using the ECS or any CVD with a spool creates wear and needs servicing often.
Using a front diff mitigates some of the wear
Ran the 52mm Xray shafts and the performance difference in 17.5 is not noticable
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #3587
Tech Master
 
Meradin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,299
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, I know I don't need the esc in the rear, I don't think I stated it very clear. What I was intending to say was I didn't want to replace the fronts with the spec-r and also have to replace the rear shafts as well with the shorter regular shafts. I wanted to keep it cheap.

It is only going in my vta car to reduce the front spool chatter. Performance/smoothness would be nice but not the main point.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #3588
Tech Master
 
Sith Lord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 1,405
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Thanks for the info guys, i will give it a try..
How'd you go? Post up some pics when you're done.
__________________
Tamiya XV-01 Rally :: Tamiya FAV 2011 :: Proline Pro2 SCB
Sith Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #3589
Regional Moderator
 
CarbonJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,661
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Yeah, I know I don't need the esc in the rear, I don't think I stated it very clear. What I was intending to say was I didn't want to replace the fronts with the spec-r and also have to replace the rear shafts as well with the shorter regular shafts. I wanted to keep it cheap.

It is only going in my vta car to reduce the front spool chatter. Performance/smoothness would be nice but not the main point.
Or you could just run a ball diff up front. Several of us have re-purposed our '007 foam cars for VTA. The foam cars had ball diffs front and rear.
__________________
*** The Gate - Celebrating 8 years at the same location ***
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #3590
Tech Master
 
Meradin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,299
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

So, what are the lengths of the spec-r ecs shafts? I know everyone says get the xray ones but I don't have the patience to wait until I have the extra dough to spend on them. I only race 17.5 and VTA which is 25.5. These would be installed in the VTA. I can pick up a set of spec-r's, new for about 37 bucks. That leaves me extra for race entry fees, parts, etc...

I do have an extra ball diff but from what I have read and been told the spool is a much better option and I want to reserve that for my 17.5 touring car.

My concern is going with a shorter shaft as I race on carpet with rubber tires on a very small track 90 percent of the time. The other 10% will be spent on large tracks.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #3591
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
So, what are the lengths of the spec-r ecs shafts? I know everyone says get the xray ones but I don't have the patience to wait until I have the extra dough to spend on them. I only race 17.5 and VTA which is 25.5. These would be installed in the VTA. I can pick up a set of spec-r's, new for about 37 bucks. That leaves me extra for race entry fees, parts, etc...

I do have an extra ball diff but from what I have read and been told the spool is a much better option and I want to reserve that for my 17.5 touring car.

My concern is going with a shorter shaft as I race on carpet with rubber tires on a very small track 90 percent of the time. The other 10% will be spent on large tracks.
Why not just get a front gear diff and fill it with putty.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #3592
Tech Elite
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmond. Oklahoma
Posts: 2,066
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Can someone tell me what shocks are these? The upper part of the shock shaft is round, instead of having the part were you can adjust the adjustable shock pistons.

Xray T3 2011-xray-shocks.jpg
__________________
RC8T; Losi 2.0B; FT T4; AKA & RB
Hoffman Photography, www.carolinasrc.com
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #3593
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Can someone tell me what shocks are these? The upper part of the shock shaft is round, instead of having the part were you can adjust the adjustable shock pistons.

Attachment 834219
xray aluminium ones by the looks of things, photo is small though!!
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3594
Tech Elite
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,419
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
So, what are the lengths of the spec-r ecs shafts? I know everyone says get the xray ones but I don't have the patience to wait until I have the extra dough to spend on them. I only race 17.5 and VTA which is 25.5. These would be installed in the VTA. I can pick up a set of spec-r's, new for about 37 bucks. That leaves me extra for race entry fees, parts, etc...

I do have an extra ball diff but from what I have read and been told the spool is a much better option and I want to reserve that for my 17.5 touring car.

My concern is going with a shorter shaft as I race on carpet with rubber tires on a very small track 90 percent of the time. The other 10% will be spent on large tracks.
If you're getting the spec-r the length doesn't really matter does it? Sounds like your mind is made up. The thing about the length measurements are that each manufacturer does them differently so even if spec-r gave you a "hard" number it probably wouldn't be the same as Xrays' 50 or 52, all you can do is trust spec-r, and if they say its for the T2/T3, that's what you will get. NOW, if you do get the spec-r and you think they are too short, put the 1mm spacer between the spool and the outdrive. (You will have to trim a 1mm plastic spacer so it will fit in the "0" cutout of the spool). I have had spec-r for another car and was very disappointed in their life span.
__________________
Gary Lanzer
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3595
Tech Elite
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmond. Oklahoma
Posts: 2,066
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
xray aluminium ones by the looks of things, photo is small though!!
Are they better than the stock ones?
__________________
RC8T; Losi 2.0B; FT T4; AKA & RB
Hoffman Photography, www.carolinasrc.com
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #3596
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Are they better than the stock ones?
This has been a matter of debate for years.

In truth I don't think there's much difference.

If you've been offered them get them and fill them with different oil so you can change them over during a meeting.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'18, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2018
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #3597
Tech Elite
 
R3VoLuTiOn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 2,391
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
So, what are the lengths of the spec-r ecs shafts? I know everyone says get the xray ones but I don't have the patience to wait until I have the extra dough to spend on them. I only race 17.5 and VTA which is 25.5. These would be installed in the VTA. I can pick up a set of spec-r's, new for about 37 bucks. That leaves me extra for race entry fees, parts, etc...

I do have an extra ball diff but from what I have read and been told the spool is a much better option and I want to reserve that for my 17.5 touring car.

My concern is going with a shorter shaft as I race on carpet with rubber tires on a very small track 90 percent of the time. The other 10% will be spent on large tracks.
Mine lasted 4 runs with a couple board knocks running 17.5 my xray ones havent even bent.

but its your choice lol
__________________
John Tsang 🏁 VBC Racing 🚗 ORCA RC 🚗 GripworksRC 🚗 MotivRC 🚗 GravityRC 🚗 RC America

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #3598
Tech Elite
 
Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Edmond. Oklahoma
Posts: 2,066
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Yeap they are aluminum. On some of the setups they read Droop: 2.5mms above ride height in front and rear. Can someone explain this in actual droop terms?
__________________
RC8T; Losi 2.0B; FT T4; AKA & RB
Hoffman Photography, www.carolinasrc.com
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #3599
Tech Master
 
Meradin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,299
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

I can try as this is what I interpret it to mean. You settle the suspension and measure the ride height. Then, place the ruler again the car and lift the car by the shock towers. The point at which the tires come off the ground is the droop setting. You would turn the droop screws in or out so the wheels will come off the ground at the desired height, in your example, 2.5mm.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #3600
Tech Master
 
Meradin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,299
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Also, compared to my T3'10, my '11 is pretty loud. I am pretty sure it is the gears but the mesh is fine. Anyone else find this? Where can I start the search? Everything spins freely, just noisy on the bench. I will see if I can post some video or something.

Also, what is the optimum weight for the '11? I don't see this stat on any setup sheets. How should I balance the car out? Even front/rear, weight more forward?
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:23 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net