R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #3586
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Depends on what motor you are running. THe spec-r ones are only rated down to 10.5 turn motor, so if you run them in mod you are going to blow them out. I only run 17.5 blinky.
I have run these in the front for about 6 months with no issue
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=21442
Rebuild them often and keep them clean and you wont have too many issues

Ranthese in the back for about the same time with no issue
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=22106
I find using the ECS or any CVD with a spool creates wear and needs servicing often.
Using a front diff mitigates some of the wear
Ran the 52mm Xray shafts and the performance difference in 17.5 is not noticable
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #3587
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah, I know I don't need the esc in the rear, I don't think I stated it very clear. What I was intending to say was I didn't want to replace the fronts with the spec-r and also have to replace the rear shafts as well with the shorter regular shafts. I wanted to keep it cheap.

It is only going in my vta car to reduce the front spool chatter. Performance/smoothness would be nice but not the main point.
Meradin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:37 AM   #3588
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potoczak View Post
Thanks for the info guys, i will give it a try..
How'd you go? Post up some pics when you're done.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:55 AM   #3589
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mera'din View Post
Yeah, I know I don't need the esc in the rear, I don't think I stated it very clear. What I was intending to say was I didn't want to replace the fronts with the spec-r and also have to replace the rear shafts as well with the shorter regular shafts. I wanted to keep it cheap.

It is only going in my vta car to reduce the front spool chatter. Performance/smoothness would be nice but not the main point.
Or you could just run a ball diff up front. Several of us have re-purposed our '007 foam cars for VTA. The foam cars had ball diffs front and rear.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 AM   #3590
Tech Master

So, what are the lengths of the spec-r ecs shafts? I know everyone says get the xray ones but I don't have the patience to wait until I have the extra dough to spend on them. I only race 17.5 and VTA which is 25.5. These would be installed in the VTA. I can pick up a set of spec-r's, new for about 37 bucks. That leaves me extra for race entry fees, parts, etc...

I do have an extra ball diff but from what I have read and been told the spool is a much better option and I want to reserve that for my 17.5 touring car.

My concern is going with a shorter shaft as I race on carpet with rubber tires on a very small track 90 percent of the time. The other 10% will be spent on large tracks.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:06 AM   #3591
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
So, what are the lengths of the spec-r ecs shafts? I know everyone says get the xray ones but I don't have the patience to wait until I have the extra dough to spend on them. I only race 17.5 and VTA which is 25.5. These would be installed in the VTA. I can pick up a set of spec-r's, new for about 37 bucks. That leaves me extra for race entry fees, parts, etc...

I do have an extra ball diff but from what I have read and been told the spool is a much better option and I want to reserve that for my 17.5 touring car.

My concern is going with a shorter shaft as I race on carpet with rubber tires on a very small track 90 percent of the time. The other 10% will be spent on large tracks.
Why not just get a front gear diff and fill it with putty.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #3592
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Can someone tell me what shocks are these? The upper part of the shock shaft is round, instead of having the part were you can adjust the adjustable shock pistons.

Xray T3 2011-xray-shocks.jpg
Old 11-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #3593
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Can someone tell me what shocks are these? The upper part of the shock shaft is round, instead of having the part were you can adjust the adjustable shock pistons.

Attachment 834219
xray aluminium ones by the looks of things, photo is small though!!
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

If you're getting the spec-r the length doesn't really matter does it? Sounds like your mind is made up. The thing about the length measurements are that each manufacturer does them differently so even if spec-r gave you a "hard" number it probably wouldn't be the same as Xrays' 50 or 52, all you can do is trust spec-r, and if they say its for the T2/T3, that's what you will get. NOW, if you do get the spec-r and you think they are too short, put the 1mm spacer between the spool and the outdrive. (You will have to trim a 1mm plastic spacer so it will fit in the "0" cutout of the spool). I have had spec-r for another car and was very disappointed in their life span.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #3595
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
xray aluminium ones by the looks of things, photo is small though!!
Are they better than the stock ones?
Old 11-15-2011, 03:17 PM   #3596
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
Are they better than the stock ones?
This has been a matter of debate for years.

In truth I don't think there's much difference.

If you've been offered them get them and fill them with different oil so you can change them over during a meeting.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #3597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:

Mine lasted 4 runs with a couple board knocks running 17.5 my xray ones havent even bent.

but its your choice lol

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:11 PM   #3598
Tech Elite

Yeap they are aluminum. On some of the setups they read Droop: 2.5mms above ride height in front and rear. Can someone explain this in actual droop terms?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #3599
Tech Master

I can try as this is what I interpret it to mean. You settle the suspension and measure the ride height. Then, place the ruler again the car and lift the car by the shock towers. The point at which the tires come off the ground is the droop setting. You would turn the droop screws in or out so the wheels will come off the ground at the desired height, in your example, 2.5mm.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 AM   #3600
Tech Master

Also, compared to my T3'10, my '11 is pretty loud. I am pretty sure it is the gears but the mesh is fine. Anyone else find this? Where can I start the search? Everything spins freely, just noisy on the bench. I will see if I can post some video or something.

Also, what is the optimum weight for the '11? I don't see this stat on any setup sheets. How should I balance the car out? Even front/rear, weight more forward?