Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
Ok let's move on if he wants to post on here he will be gone
Troll food removed.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:44 PM   #3347
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga View Post
Hey Craig, are you coming up to Qld for the state titles next weekend?
I wish, would love to come up for some sun but I'm already doing SA titles at the end of the month so it's a bit much
Old 10-08-2011, 09:05 PM   #3348
Tech Master

Hey Fred, YGPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
I agree 100% with Craig, a ball diff will only last MAYBE 2 runs in mod before you will need to rebuild it. For our car the XRAY gear diff is hands down best, no leakage and no breakage of the internals at all. Even when I ran the SpecR I never broke any of the internals.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #3349
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would like to bring up the topic of mechanical grip. I drove a shumacher mi4 today and was astounded at the level of mechanical grip the thing had. Discussions with one of the local elders revealed the schumachers have loads of mechanical grip for a tight course like ours.
I am just wondering if anyone has a setup that gives great mechanical low-speed grip, at the cost of corner speed is ok as we run alot of 180 degree corners.
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #3350
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Are tire warmers worth the money? Do people use them on carpet and asphalt?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #3351
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
I would like to bring up the topic of mechanical grip. I drove a shumacher mi4 today and was astounded at the level of mechanical grip the thing had. Discussions with one of the local elders revealed the schumachers have loads of mechanical grip for a tight course like ours.
I am just wondering if anyone has a setup that gives great mechanical low-speed grip, at the cost of corner speed is ok as we run alot of 180 degree corners.
I've had my car set up where it was locked down so hard it would pretty well stop in the middle of the corner on carpet. Unfortunately, my 18month old got ahold of my setup notes, so I don't have the exact setup.

Going from memory, I think I had the shocks laid down as far as I could go, I want to say I was using the H roll centers front and rear long-low, with the +0.75 lower arm holders front and rear, and the rear wheelbase long, 2mm droop ORH, on Sorex 28 tires. The car would push on entry, stop in the middle of the corner being 4 wheel tight, and be loose on entry that I'm fairly sure was too big of a split F/R on shock oil.

It wasn't fast on my local track, and I only got to run it that way on carpet a couple times before our asphalt season started. I started running equal shock oil F/R on asphalt, and moved more back toward a kit setup, with some minor tweaks, and have it very fast. Our carpet season doesn't start for a couple more weeks, so I won't really know what all I'm going to change when we go back to the rug.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #3352
Tech Champion

Quote:
The -0.75 hexes give the car a lot more grip
Old 10-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #3353
Tech Addict

wouldnt the +75 roll center holders generate less grip? Going by the setup manual it says to use -75 or lower roll center values to generate more grip in low traction conditions.
Were u using H1 roll centers on the back too?
Old 10-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #3354
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
The -0.75 hexes give the car a lot more grip
Thanks Craig, I have them but the OG tyres seem to have a deep hex mount. In a control tyre event (like the titles this weekend) are we able to modify the wheel by sanding the wheel hex hub down to fit our car?.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #3355
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks Craig, I have them but the OG tyres seem to have a deep hex mount. In a control tyre event (like the titles this weekend) are we able to modify the wheel by sanding the wheel hex hub down to fit our car?.
Normally they say no modifications allowed but I think that's aimed at performance things like adding changing the holes. Best to check with the organisers.

Ari and Tim both ran the narrow hexes with the OG tyres, I don't remember them having to sand them down

I found the low RC holders were a bit too low, they can work well with the suspension bridges spaced up 0.5mm though
Old 10-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #3356
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

Quote:
wouldnt the +75 roll center holders generate less grip? Going by the setup manual it says to use -75 or lower roll center values to generate more grip in low traction conditions.
Were u using H1 roll centers on the back too?
Yeah, I might have it backwards, I think you're right. And yes, I was using the H1/H2 roll centers on the back as well.

For asphalt I'm using H1/H2 in the front [high inboard, 2mm shim at the C hub], with L1/L2 in the back [low inboard, 4mm shim at the hub].
Old 10-09-2011, 10:38 PM   #3357
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

So... is it safe to say.. that if you race on a track that has to be setup/torn down each week, and ran on different layouts each week... that I should try .75mm roll centers? Front and Rear?
Old 10-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #3358
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
Yeah, I might have it backwards, I think you're right. And yes, I was using the H1/H2 roll centers on the back as well.

For asphalt I'm using H1/H2 in the front [high inboard, 2mm shim at the C hub], with L1/L2 in the back [low inboard, 4mm shim at the hub].
So if you use H1/H2 front and rear for high traction carpet, would you reverse it and run L1/L2 front and rear for low traction asphalt?
Anyone used the 6degree castor blocks? I hear more caster gives more steering?
Old 10-10-2011, 01:49 AM   #3359
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

I just installed the new smoken chassis for the T3 11 .I also changed the servo to the sideward position. I took the out to my local track I did not change any of the setup from before and I was very impressed with the way the car handle. The car felt more balance and was easy to drive on med traction asphalt.
Attached Thumbnails
Xray T3 2011-t3-servo.jpg  

Last edited by rack; 10-10-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: update
rack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #3360
Tech Addict

Just checked, the OG sweep rims definitly bind with the -.75 wheel hexes. both measure 4.25mm.
Would making the front track width 1.5 mm thinner be a similar adjustment?