R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #3331
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
Too bad xray don't have a cover for their diffs , making the ball diff vulnerable to dust !!! You can make your own cover , or bite the bullet and run a rear gear diff with front spool and front ecs drives ...Front diffs, whether gear or ball, give too many problems...
The ball diff comes with xray "labyrinth" covers

The xray that won FEMCA used a front gear diff to
Old 10-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #3332
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Cool

Why are people complaining about the ball diff getting dirty then???? Maybe these covers don't do a good job ! Also , most will be faster with a gear diff , but will it handle mod for long without leaking and needing maintenance ???? Not really ! I'd rather loose 0.1sec with an undestructible ball diff . I remember the loud pop noise my Nikko gear diff use to make when I free reved it with my 7T brushed motor, and these Nikko gear diffs used steel 32pitch web gears , not the cheap plastic or carbon I see them using now !!!! There is no way to make strong enough for today's mod motors, without constant rebuilds .....Rebuilds is what makes these companies super rich , and the racers poor , and frustrated .......I will always stick to rear ball diffs and front spool no matter how many 0.1seconds I loose !!!
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:10 AM   #3333
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Why are people complaining about the ball diff getting dirty then???? Maybe these covers don't do a good job ! Also , most will be faster with a gear diff , but will it handle mod for long without leaking and needing maintenance ???? Not really ! I'd rather loose 0.1sec with an undestructible ball diff . I remember the loud pop noise my Nikko gear diff use to make when I free reved it with my 7T brushed motor, and these Nikko gear diffs used steel 32pitch web gears , not the cheap plastic or carbon I see them using now !!!! There is no way to make strong enough for today's mod motors, without constant rebuilds .....Rebuilds is what makes these companies super rich , and the racers poor , and frustrated .......I will always stick to rear ball diffs and front spool no matter how many 0.1seconds I loose !!!
Ummm Nikko? DO you mean the cheap toy grade RC company that made the old jet hopper and such RC garbage. U cant compare that to the high grade XRAY quality gear diffs that are coming out now.
I regularly see Mod drivers at our meets rebuilding ball diffs during a meet, they arent perfect and need to be rebuilt too.
Front and rear gear diffs are becoming the norm at our track, and there is a reason the new t3 2012 is coming out with a rear gear diff.......
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 02:22 AM   #3334
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redron123 View Post
Thanks. I am going to stick with the ball for now master that and when i want to go faster get the gear diff.
If you are running 17.5 I don't think you'll go any quicker with a gear diff than a ball diff as they don't really have the power that causes ball diffs issues.

I'm still really undecided between the two, I only run on carpet and keep swapping between the two. On certain carpet tracks I find the ball diff quicker as it's much easier to drive but other tracks the gear diff very slightly quicker, although I do run 13.5t boosted.

I'm finding 70% of the time I'm using my ball diff now and still beating guys who use gear diffs.

I do however ALWAYS use a gear diff in the front!
Mb3195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:08 AM   #3335
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
The labyrinth covers are very good actually, you just need to smear them with a bit of grease to catch anything that might slip between them and the moving parts. The xray gear diff is also excellent, I've been using one in modified (4t) since they came out and the only maintenance I've done is to change the oil once. The composit gears are very strong too, fine to use in the nt1 even.

I suggest you do a bit more research before going off half cocked, the whole reason for gear diffs is because ball diffs were struggling to last 1 run in mod without going off
Old 10-08-2011, 05:38 AM   #3336
Tech Addict

Hey Craig, are you coming up to Qld for the state titles next weekend?
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #3337
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 87 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post
If you are running 17.5 I don't think you'll go any quicker with a gear diff than a ball diff as they don't really have the power that causes ball diffs issues.

I'm still really undecided between the two, I only run on carpet and keep swapping between the two. On certain carpet tracks I find the ball diff quicker as it's much easier to drive but other tracks the gear diff very slightly quicker, although I do run 13.5t boosted.

I'm finding 70% of the time I'm using my ball diff now and still beating guys who use gear diffs.

That's what i wanted to know. I don't mind spending the money. I just don't want to buy unneeded things for this car. I would rather spend the money where its needed. Any other things i should upgrade or just leave her stock?
Old 10-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #3338
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb3195 View Post

Have you tried running a spool in the front and the gear diff in the back with different oils?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #3339
Tech Elite

Quote:
I run a gear diff in the rear with a spool in the front in mod touring car and it is sp much nicer than running a bal diff! Even using ceramic bearings I had to rebuild my ball diff every time I raced mod. Gear diff is set it and forget it!
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #3340
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigM View Post
...I suggest you do a bit more research before going off half cocked, the whole reason for gear diffs is because ball diffs were struggling to last 1 run in mod without going off
I agree 100% with Craig, a ball diff will only last MAYBE 2 runs in mod before you will need to rebuild it. For our car the XRAY gear diff is hands down best, no leakage and no breakage of the internals at all. Even when I ran the SpecR I never broke any of the internals.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #3341
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Integra

How long can a Ball diff go in Non Mod class ? 13.5 boosted persay ?

I ran a ball All last year with very Little maintenance but this was just when all the gear diff stuff started.
TNS Driver - Radio Post - Blue Groove Apparel - Team Panther - Hitec - Losi - W.E.D. Paint - Clockwork Fuel - Competition Heat - SUMO Racing - Tekin - Team Terribles - M2C Racing - Matrix Concepts - Kal Gard - BuKu Power - DE Racing -
Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #3342
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Nikko steel gears would never strip even with no oil . Just because they are toys, doesn't mean they are weaker than Xray gear diffs , especially when they come with 32pitch steel gears . Nitro cars are killing all these gear diffs !!! If you need to rebuild ball diffs every two runs, you're doing something wrong there, or the design is no good . My Ae rear ball diff is going strong in Mod after five years now !!! Why is everybody else rebuilding ??? Or maybe it is the racers overdoing it because of their insecurity ! There are lots of geeky insecure sick maniacs in this hobby, and I am not about to follow them !!!! Not the type to leave your children around, that's for sure . Some are even sex offenders...wow...
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #3343
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
The Nikko steel gears would never strip even with no oil . Just because they are toys, doesn't mean they are weaker than Xray gear diffs , especially when they come with 32pitch steel gears . Nitro cars are killing all these gear diffs !!! If you need to rebuild ball diffs every two runs, you're doing something wrong there, or the design is no good . My Ae rear ball diff is going strong in Mod after five years now !!! Why is everybody else rebuilding ??? Or maybe it is the racers overdoing it because of their insecurity ! There are lots of geeky insecure sick maniacs in this hobby, and I am not about to follow them !!!! Not the type to leave your children around, that's for sure . Some are even sex offenders...wow...
Well thanks for sharing ! I'm pretty sure this will be your last post on this thread if not I'm sure I will make your next post in this thread will be your last one on RCtech !
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #3344
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach

I still use the ball diff, I replaced the stock carbide balls with ceramic, going strong and still very smooth after half a carpet season and half an asphalt season (work schedule) in boosted 17.5. I only clean it when it gets notchy, checked after every run.

My older nitro car (CD3) has gear diffs, no issues after several seasons with the same internals.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:53 AM   #3345
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLeach View Post
I still use the ball diff, I replaced the stock carbide balls with ceramic, going strong and still very smooth after half a carpet season and half an asphalt season (work schedule) in boosted 17.5. I only clean it when it gets notchy, checked after every run.

My older nitro car (CD3) has gear diffs, no issues after several seasons with the same internals. I have more issues with ring and pinion holding up.

Bert, stick to your own car's thread and quit trolling everything else. The only people that care about the TC3/4 are the guys running them. They aren't bad cars, but you're not the final say on all things touring, so just shut up.
Ok let's move on if he wants to post on here he will be gone
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote