R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #3166
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks for that! I've currently got it balanced nicely with added weight as it's currently set up as a VTA car. If I set it up for Touring Stock I can try to rebalance it with the pack spaced out. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll shim the top deck by 1mm, as I think that's all it would need. You also have a PM from me!

Cheers,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Hi Mike, welcome to Xray, at the moment I'm not sure about the clearance but shimming is acceptable. Before you go thru that though maybe mock your car up as perhaps to balance the car out, you might have to run the pack out a little further than having it tucked under the top deck.

Going to the new car(11) from the 10 will not change the deck spacing althought the 11 top deck is a little narrower, the pack still has to get under the back part of the deck.

I'll measure some packs and let you know what max clearance will work.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:14 AM   #3167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Mike View Post
Thanks for that! I've currently got it balanced nicely with added weight as it's currently set up as a VTA car. If I set it up for Touring Stock I can try to rebalance it with the pack spaced out. If that doesn't work then I guess I'll shim the top deck by 1mm, as I think that's all it would need. You also have a PM from me!

Cheers,
Mike

Got your pm, i'll pm you back.

As far as pack clearance, if your pack is equal to or less than 24.9mm you should be ok.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #3168
Tech Rookie

Default bladders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Weiss View Post
Bladders from Tamiya and Hot Bodies will fit the Xray shocks ... I would recommend shaving the outside edges of them so that they fit inside the Xray threaded caps for easier building/bleeding

can use the ones from Kyosho fit perfect

R/
kasiraki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #3169
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

the tamiya and HPI/hot bodies bladders are both bigger than the xray. Unless you want to bugger around trimming bladders best to just order a few sets of rcmarket or rcmushroom cheap and just replace them when they expand.
Trust me, I have tried all of these in search of a decent replacement and none fit as well as the original xray bladders.
I am running the alu shocks ATM and they are massive improvement over the original composite shocks. much easier to build and the bladders dont seem to be as much of an issue in them compared to the composites.
Only the tamiya TRF shocks are as good as the xray alu shocks, but the optional larger diameter pistons of the xrays suit bumpy tracks.
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:07 AM   #3170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Capricorn bladders are a perfect fit and don't swell at all. You can use them for a whole season without sacrificing performance. The Xray ones need to be replaced every race....

http://www.capricornrc.com/capricorn...d_product=1048
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 AM   #3171
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
The Xray ones need to be replaced every race....
I've been using the original bladders since I built my kit nearly a year ago...
Old 09-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #3172
Tech Adept

Questions??

if you're going to buy a new t3 "high $400+ range, and then need to upgrade to alum. shocks{which should come with the kit}or purchase tamiya shocks and do all kinds of stuff to them, at that point why not just get a 417? isnt conposite just another way of saying"there plastic shocks"
S411LE#63,eryx 2.0,kyosho ultima sc,B44.1,futaba.the short list. Ricky Bobby body club,member #4

Last edited by atmeearacing; 09-16-2011 at 10:15 AM.
atmeearacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #3173
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
...The Xray ones need to be replaced every race....

Not true. You have to take some precautions when reassembling the shocks. When putting the cap back on only tighten it to the point to where you start to feel resistence to turning, there should be a .75mm to 1mm gap between the cap and the body. When you tighten it down all the way it deforms the lip of the bladder and then issues with the body of bladder being sucked into the shock body are inevitable which causes the bladder to tear.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #3174
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmeearacing View Post
if you're going to buy a new t3 "high $400+ range, and then need to upgrade to alum. shocks{which should come with the kit}or purchase tamiya shocks and do all kinds of stuff to them, at that point why not just get a 417? isnt conposite just another way of saying"there plastic shocks"
You don't need to upgrade anything. The plastic shocks work great.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:09 AM   #3175
Tech Addict

I have never torn a bladder, touch wood. I think the TRF 417 kit runs between 50 and $100 more than the xray kit anyway, more than the price of the upgrade to the XRAY ALU shocks.
My issue with the composite shocks has been the bleed process, not the functionality of the shocks. My experience is the xray composites perorm as well as the TRF shocks, but the TRF shocks are easier to build than the composites
having said that, the xray ALU shocks are as easy to build as the tamiyas, and perform just as well,
You can upgrade to the xray alu shocks for about $70 buying them from rcmushroom or one of the other cheap hongkong rc dealers. THis makes the xray kit just as competive on price, and you get the smooth build and easy to understand instructions of xray.
kinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 AM   #3176
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (83%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinga View Post
I have never torn a bladder, touch wood. I think the TRF 417 kit runs between 50 and $100 more than the xray kit anyway, more than the price of the upgrade to the XRAY ALU shocks.
My issue with the composite shocks has been the bleed process, not the functionality of the shocks. My experience is the xray composites perorm as well as the TRF shocks, but the TRF shocks are easier to build than the composites
having said that, the xray ALU shocks are as easy to build as the tamiyas, and perform just as well,
You can upgrade to the xray alu shocks for about $70 buying them from rcmushroom or one of the other cheap hongkong rc dealers. THis makes the xray kit just as competive on price, and you get the smooth build and easy to understand instructions of xray.
I picked up my trf shocks for about $45 aussie from rcmarket.
shano83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:04 AM   #3177
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
The Capricorn bladders are a perfect fit and don't swell at all. You can use them for a whole season without sacrificing performance. The Xray ones need to be replaced every race....

Hey DS, I am not sure what you were doing with them but the bladders should be usable for a very long time unless you overtighten the cap, puncture it, or exposure to certain solvents.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:06 AM   #3178
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmeearacing View Post
The aluminum shocks are not required. If your running modified then the camber link's are good to have, but if your running stock or super stock the car out of the box is very quick on carpet and asphalt when properly setup.

Timezone Raceway & Hobbies - http://www.timezonehobbies.com
rx7ttlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:45 AM   #3179
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)

i ordered a set of the xray alu shocks......i thought hell well why not....and one less mod i have to do.....

AWESOMATIX A800X ★ MUCHMORE ★ R1 WURKS ★
ROCHE RAPIDE F1-16 ★ SANWA M12 ★ SILVERBACK ★
HOBBYWING ★ RCMAKER ★ VOLANTE RC ★
blade072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #3180
Tech Master

does anyone have good carpet setup with all new options but front spool???
small tight technical med-high grip 13.5t
thanx in advance

Last edited by yokemad; 09-18-2011 at 05:01 AM.
yokemad is offline   Reply With Quote