Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 AM
  #2191  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RevMaxx
most of the guys at our track now runs gear diffs both rear and front.
on the front gear diff, to get more steering yet still have an effect of like a spool, 500K gear diff oil is being used... certainly not for lubrication, be it metal or plastic gears, imo i think its a must.
what set up changes are they doing ?? i found out of the corner my car didnt have the pull i got with a spool , and i was slower with the geardiff so took it out

i still feel that a front gear diff is nicer to drive then the spool but i am not going to drive a slower car
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 AM
  #2192  
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: London
Posts: 83
Default

Oh well, with regards to the diff issue i tried and i guess each to their own.

Has anyone tried putting a smaller internal ratio in thier T3 2011?
I've got a 16T pulley on the layshaft with T2 009 front and rear belts which gives me an internal ratio of 2.375.

90% of carpet club tracks in the UK are less than 32 metres (about 96ft) in lenght and i'm telling you that with an internal of 2.375 the car RIPS out of a corner and is lightening down the straight.
RSCosworth is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 AM
  #2193  
Tech Addict
 
RevMaxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Cebu
Posts: 687
Default

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
what set up changes are they doing ?? i found out of the corner my car didnt have the pull i got with a spool , and i was slower with the geardiff so took it out

i still feel that a front gear diff is nicer to drive then the spool but i am not going to drive a slower car
its always a compromise with set-ups...
i just started using both gear diffs front and rear and i feel it gives me more steering needed in the technical portions of the track than the spool.
not a good driver here but i feel it helped me with my lap time. consistency, on the other hand, is a different ballgame for me...
RevMaxx is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 AM
  #2194  
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denmark
Posts: 562
Default

I found front geardiff easier to drive with, but also a couple of tenths slower than a spool.
Nilks is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM
  #2195  
Tech Adept
 
Phil C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuneaton, England
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by RSCosworth
Oh well, with regards to the diff issue i tried and i guess each to their own.

Has anyone tried putting a smaller internal ratio in thier T3 2011?
I've got a 16T pulley on the layshaft with T2 009 front and rear belts which gives me an internal ratio of 2.375.

90% of carpet club tracks in the UK are less than 32 metres (about 96ft) in lenght and i'm telling you that with an internal of 2.375 the car RIPS out of a corner and is lightening down the straight.
Hey RS,

As everyone has said the diff oil is a pretty useful tuning aid. If you choose to ignore this fact then thats your choice. I think you will see that almost all the top drivers are using gear diffs and tuning the action one way or another. Moving on...

Where do you race in the UK? and which class?

The T2 008 came with the 38/16 pulley arrangement. However, the rear belts were stripping pretty frequently in Mod so XRAY sent out the 34/20 option to every kit owner. IMO the car always felt more aggressive with 34/20 and had less drive out the corners. I think the 38/20 setup is a good compromise between the two though.

Last edited by Phil C; 05-12-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Phil C is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 AM
  #2196  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 282
Default

Originally Posted by Phil C
Hey RS,

As everyone has said the diff oil is a pretty useful tuning aid. If you choose to ignore this fact then thats your choice. I think you will see that almost all the top drivers are using gear diffs and tuning the action one way or another. Moving on...

Where do you race in the UK? and which class?

The T2 008 came with the 38/16 pulley arrangement. However, the rear belts were stripping pretty frequently in Mod so XRAY sent out the 34/20 option to every kit owner. IMO the car always felt more aggressive with 34/20 and had less drive out the corners. I think the 38/20 setup is a good compromise between the two though.
Hi phill,
I just bought a spec R geardiff for my car, Im running 13.5 class. What oils should I start with and any other build tips would be use full
FLAT OUT is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM
  #2197  
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: england
Posts: 304
Default

Originally Posted by FLAT OUT
Hi phill,
I just bought a spec R geardiff for my car, Im running 13.5 class. What oils should I start with and any other build tips would be use full
Go on the spec-r website theres a vid on how to build them.

For out doors start with 1000wt oil
mwoods is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM
  #2198  
Tech Adept
 
Phil C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuneaton, England
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by FLAT OUT
Hi phill,
I just bought a spec R geardiff for my car, Im running 13.5 class. What oils should I start with and any other build tips would be use full
I would suggest 1000cst is a pretty good starting point for most tracks.

Thinner oil should make the car a little more aggressive, change direction faster and rotate harder.

Thicker oil should make the car a little more stable but give more on power steering.

As for building it, I would suggest using a hard grease/green slime on the O-rings, output shafts and between the gasket/case. I usually fill the oil so it just covers the black cross piece. Other than that just follow the instructions.
Phil C is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM
  #2199  
OVA
Tech Lord
iTrader: (86)
 
OVA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: WASHINGTON
Posts: 10,280
Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)
Default

For the R spec gear Diff
As for building it, I would suggest using a hard grease/green slime on the O-rings, output shafts and between the gasket/case. I usually fill the oil so it just covers the black cross piece. Other than that just follow the instructions.
I agreed 100 percent...
OVA is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM
  #2200  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Johnny Wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,753
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Nilks
I found front geardiff easier to drive with, but also a couple of tenths slower than a spool.
I have the same experience. I start to wonder if the added weight of the gear diffs negates the advantage of using them.
Johnny Wishbone is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM
  #2201  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

yes maybe it can , or the rolling mass is desturbing the balance of the car

i just think it is the inner wheel getting light and spinning up slightly as you get beck on the throttle thus loosing time that you wont with a spool
sidecarphil1 is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 04:49 PM
  #2202  
Tech Adept
 
Phil C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuneaton, England
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
i just think it is the inner wheel getting light and spinning up slightly as you get beck on the throttle thus loosing time that you wont with a spool
Thats exactly the problem...

I think the cars/setups are designed to be run with a spool nowdays, maximising weight transfer on the front in order to make the inside tyre light so tyre scrub isn't too bad. If you just stick an open diff in then only the torque that the tyre with the least traction can transfer to the road is the available. Rather than 100% torque with a spool.

Most guys are using super thick oil in the front gear diff which is making it act similar to a clutch type limited slip diff. Some guys are even trying cleaning putty, which if built correctly will allow the small ammount of diff action required for efficient cornering. I still think theres plenty of scope for improvement with car setup while running a front gear diff!
Phil C is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 PM
  #2203  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Northern DE
Posts: 512
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Hi all. I am sure this has been asked and I tried to search for the answer but no luck. Can someone PM me directions, pics, or website to get NT1 diffs into my T3 2011? Thanks in advance for any information that you guys can offer.
Pete720 is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
  #2204  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (6)
 
Fred Hubbard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Inglewood, CA
Posts: 2,721
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pete720
Hi all. I am sure this has been asked and I tried to search for the answer but no luck. Can someone PM me directions, pics, or website to get NT1 diffs into my T3 2011? Thanks in advance for any information that you guys can offer.
Scroll back one to two pages for the info
Fred Hubbard is offline  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM
  #2205  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,920
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Phil C
Thats exactly the problem...

I think the cars/setups are designed to be run with a spool nowdays, maximising weight transfer on the front in order to make the inside tyre light so tyre scrub isn't too bad. If you just stick an open diff in then only the torque that the tyre with the least traction can transfer to the road is the available. Rather than 100% torque with a spool.

Most guys are using super thick oil in the front gear diff which is making it act similar to a clutch type limited slip diff. Some guys are even trying cleaning putty, which if built correctly will allow the small ammount of diff action required for efficient cornering. I still think theres plenty of scope for improvement with car setup while running a front gear diff!
with the front gear diff i was running 300,000 oil in there and it would still diff out you could see it coming out of the corners the guys with the spools would run into the back of me because i couldn't get the drive out of the corner , i might try putty in it but i dont want to ruin it by filling it with something i cannot get out
sidecarphil1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.