R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #2191
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMaxx View Post
most of the guys at our track now runs gear diffs both rear and front.
on the front gear diff, to get more steering yet still have an effect of like a spool, 500K gear diff oil is being used... certainly not for lubrication, be it metal or plastic gears, imo i think its a must.
what set up changes are they doing ?? i found out of the corner my car didnt have the pull i got with a spool , and i was slower with the geardiff so took it out

i still feel that a front gear diff is nicer to drive then the spool but i am not going to drive a slower car
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 03:52 AM   #2192
Tech Apprentice

Oh well, with regards to the diff issue i tried and i guess each to their own.

Has anyone tried putting a smaller internal ratio in thier T3 2011?
I've got a 16T pulley on the layshaft with T2 009 front and rear belts which gives me an internal ratio of 2.375.

90% of carpet club tracks in the UK are less than 32 metres (about 96ft) in lenght and i'm telling you that with an internal of 2.375 the car RIPS out of a corner and is lightening down the straight.
RSCosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:03 AM   #2193
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RevMaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
what set up changes are they doing ?? i found out of the corner my car didnt have the pull i got with a spool , and i was slower with the geardiff so took it out

i still feel that a front gear diff is nicer to drive then the spool but i am not going to drive a slower car
its always a compromise with set-ups...
i just started using both gear diffs front and rear and i feel it gives me more steering needed in the technical portions of the track than the spool.
not a good driver here but i feel it helped me with my lap time. consistency, on the other hand, is a different ballgame for me...
RevMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #2194
Tech Addict

I found front geardiff easier to drive with, but also a couple of tenths slower than a spool.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:48 AM   #2195
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSCosworth View Post
Oh well, with regards to the diff issue i tried and i guess each to their own.

Has anyone tried putting a smaller internal ratio in thier T3 2011?
I've got a 16T pulley on the layshaft with T2 009 front and rear belts which gives me an internal ratio of 2.375.

90% of carpet club tracks in the UK are less than 32 metres (about 96ft) in lenght and i'm telling you that with an internal of 2.375 the car RIPS out of a corner and is lightening down the straight.
Hey RS,

As everyone has said the diff oil is a pretty useful tuning aid. If you choose to ignore this fact then thats your choice. I think you will see that almost all the top drivers are using gear diffs and tuning the action one way or another. Moving on...

Where do you race in the UK? and which class?

The T2 008 came with the 38/16 pulley arrangement. However, the rear belts were stripping pretty frequently in Mod so XRAY sent out the 34/20 option to every kit owner. IMO the car always felt more aggressive with 34/20 and had less drive out the corners. I think the 38/20 setup is a good compromise between the two though.

Last edited by Phil C; 05-12-2011 at 07:20 AM.
Phil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #2196
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Hey RS,

As everyone has said the diff oil is a pretty useful tuning aid. If you choose to ignore this fact then thats your choice. I think you will see that almost all the top drivers are using gear diffs and tuning the action one way or another. Moving on...

Where do you race in the UK? and which class?

The T2 008 came with the 38/16 pulley arrangement. However, the rear belts were stripping pretty frequently in Mod so XRAY sent out the 34/20 option to every kit owner. IMO the car always felt more aggressive with 34/20 and had less drive out the corners. I think the 38/20 setup is a good compromise between the two though.
Hi phill,
I just bought a spec R geardiff for my car, Im running 13.5 class. What oils should I start with and any other build tips would be use full
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM   #2197
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
Hi phill,
I just bought a spec R geardiff for my car, Im running 13.5 class. What oils should I start with and any other build tips would be use full
Go on the spec-r website theres a vid on how to build them.

For out doors start with 1000wt oil
Old 05-12-2011, 08:44 AM   #2198
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT OUT View Post
Hi phill,
I would suggest 1000cst is a pretty good starting point for most tracks.

Thinner oil should make the car a little more aggressive, change direction faster and rotate harder.

Thicker oil should make the car a little more stable but give more on power steering.

As for building it, I would suggest using a hard grease/green slime on the O-rings, output shafts and between the gasket/case. I usually fill the oil so it just covers the black cross piece. Other than that just follow the instructions.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #2199
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

For the R spec gear Diff
As for building it, I would suggest using a hard grease/green slime on the O-rings, output shafts and between the gasket/case. I usually fill the oil so it just covers the black cross piece. Other than that just follow the instructions.
I agreed 100 percent...
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #2200
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilks View Post
I found front geardiff easier to drive with, but also a couple of tenths slower than a spool.
I have the same experience. I start to wonder if the added weight of the gear diffs negates the advantage of using them.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #2201
Tech Master

yes maybe it can , or the rolling mass is desturbing the balance of the car

i just think it is the inner wheel getting light and spinning up slightly as you get beck on the throttle thus loosing time that you wont with a spool
Old 05-12-2011, 04:49 PM   #2202
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
i just think it is the inner wheel getting light and spinning up slightly as you get beck on the throttle thus loosing time that you wont with a spool
Thats exactly the problem...

I think the cars/setups are designed to be run with a spool nowdays, maximising weight transfer on the front in order to make the inside tyre light so tyre scrub isn't too bad. If you just stick an open diff in then only the torque that the tyre with the least traction can transfer to the road is the available. Rather than 100% torque with a spool.

Most guys are using super thick oil in the front gear diff which is making it act similar to a clutch type limited slip diff. Some guys are even trying cleaning putty, which if built correctly will allow the small ammount of diff action required for efficient cornering. I still think theres plenty of scope for improvement with car setup while running a front gear diff!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #2203
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Hi all. I am sure this has been asked and I tried to search for the answer but no luck. Can someone PM me directions, pics, or website to get NT1 diffs into my T3 2011? Thanks in advance for any information that you guys can offer.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM   #2204
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete720 View Post
Hi all. I am sure this has been asked and I tried to search for the answer but no luck. Can someone PM me directions, pics, or website to get NT1 diffs into my T3 2011? Thanks in advance for any information that you guys can offer.
Scroll back one to two pages for the info
Old 05-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #2205
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil C View Post
Thats exactly the problem...

I think the cars/setups are designed to be run with a spool nowdays, maximising weight transfer on the front in order to make the inside tyre light so tyre scrub isn't too bad. If you just stick an open diff in then only the torque that the tyre with the least traction can transfer to the road is the available. Rather than 100% torque with a spool.

Most guys are using super thick oil in the front gear diff which is making it act similar to a clutch type limited slip diff. Some guys are even trying cleaning putty, which if built correctly will allow the small ammount of diff action required for efficient cornering. I still think theres plenty of scope for improvement with car setup while running a front gear diff!
with the front gear diff i was running 300,000 oil in there and it would still diff out you could see it coming out of the corners the guys with the spools would run into the back of me because i couldn't get the drive out of the corner , i might try putty in it but i dont want to ruin it by filling it with something i cannot get out