Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Old 05-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
The diff requires 50mm/3.0 blades. The plunge is still very shallow so unless your running a wide setup 52mm will not work. I looked at modding the outdrives but the plunge is already bottomed out so it would weaken the halfes too much, or at least I think it would snap them in half with anything with power.
I was able to use a dremel and a carbide bit and very carefully grind the lightweight outdrives down to use 3.5 blades Let me tell ya it was nerve wrecking! No issues with with breakage so far (knock on wood)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
I was able to use a dremel and a carbide bit and very carefully grind the lightweight outdrives down to use 3.5 blades Let me tell ya it was nerve wrecking! No issues with with breakage so far (knock on wood)
I know what your saying, I have a 3.5 carbide cutter and have thought about doing it as well, but I also have several sets of 3mm blades so I figured I'd just use them up.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard
What cant you do with a dremel? lol
Old 05-10-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by A.B.R
What cant you do with a dremel? lol
LOL..exactly. They didn't know that you and I are avid students at the "LeMieux School of Dremelsmithing"
Old 05-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesArluck
What is the part # for the 3.0 blades?

-James
http://www.nexusracing.com/product_i...roducts_id=204
Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

What is it with everyone using oil in these spec.r diffs? You don't need it! Simple diff grease will do. Oil should only be used in gear diffs that have metal gears.......not plastic! If you were racing a car with a metal gear diff on an oval track then you would put in a thin oil because you don't have much diff action. If you are then racing on a track like Monaco, very twisty and turney, you would put in a thicker oil to slow up the diff action to stop the metal gears wearing and getting to hot. Correct me if i'm wrong but metal on metal wears more that plastic on plastic. If your puttting oil in these plastic gear diffs to slow up the action, then put a ball back in and tighten it up.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

your forgetting about heat , oil acts as a cooling liquid too , this will stop the plastic melting , and i believe that the thickness of the oil is also important.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Tech Adept

Obviously the gears do need some kind of lubrication...

The reason people are using oil is so that they can tune the diff action. It has a dramatic effect on the cars handling. Once the XRAY diff is released we won't have any issues with leaking.

For now using a Spec-R diff requires some careful building, I suggest using a hard grease between the gaskets, casing, X-rings and outdrives.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RSCosworth
What is it with everyone using oil in these spec.r diffs? You don't need it! Simple diff grease will do. Oil should only be used in gear diffs that have metal gears.......not plastic! If you were racing a car with a metal gear diff on an oval track then you would put in a thin oil because you don't have much diff action. If you are then racing on a track like Monaco, very twisty and turney, you would put in a thicker oil to slow up the diff action to stop the metal gears wearing and getting to hot. Correct me if i'm wrong but metal on metal wears more that plastic on plastic. If your puttting oil in these plastic gear diffs to slow up the action, then put a ball back in and tighten it up.
It's not about lubrication, it's about tuning the diff to give you the best performance.

Skiddins
Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skiddins
It's not about lubrication, it's about tuning the diff to give you the best performance.

Skiddins
Like i said, put a ball diff back in. People are trying to limit the diff action of a non-slip diff by filling it with oil and then slagging it off because it's leaks. It would take some serious diff action for the plastic gears to melt. I'm only trying to help based on experience and with regards to the xray diff, i look forward to it.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Basically people put in gear diffs for the forward bite and less maintenance. The spec-r diffs leak, because they aren't sealed well and the plastic gears are pretty soft. I choose to run the modded nt1 diff with metal gears. Then the oil can be a big adjustment. There's the wt. oil you run and how much you pack it. Ball diffs are nice, but you don't get the large amount of forward bite that the gear diff gives.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yep oil is a big adjustment for Gear diffs. Even with a ball diff the "diff action" was important to set up. I remember running one grease and the action was super loose, then another grease it had a much "thicker" action, but still smooth and no slip.

But wel forget about ball diffs because their the crudest invention known to mankind

Iv'e found thicker oil in the diff will give more "push" as the diff wont be "diffing" as easily as thinner oil

Thinner oil more rotation as its just diffing everywhere lol

Stef - Xray UK
Old 05-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Tech Elite

Like i said, put a ball diff back in. People are trying to limit the diff action of a non-slip diff by filling it with oil and then slagging it off because it's leaks. It would take some serious diff action for the plastic gears to melt. I'm only trying to help based on experience and with regards to the xray diff, i look forward to it.
People won't put a ball diff back in because of the performance advantages of a gear diff.
Even though it does leak a bit, I know that once I've topped it up I will get exactly the same performance from it as last time.
As for just putting lube in like you have, well either you've gotten lucky with regard to setup on the track you run or you're not pushing hard enough When I tried thinner/less oil it wasn't very good at all.

Skiddins
Old 05-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Marc R ran a dry diff at the last ETS he raced in and destroyed the gears in a single run

My converted NT1 diff doesn't leak a bit, it's faster than the ball diff and changing the oil is a good tuning aid, thicker gives more side bite and on power steering, thinner gives more rotation.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Tech Addict

most of the guys at our track now runs gear diffs both rear and front.
on the front gear diff, to get more steering yet still have an effect of like a spool, 500K gear diff oil is being used... certainly not for lubrication, be it metal or plastic gears, imo i think its a must.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.